Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stuck in sink h@ll and need some guidance

Posted by corgimum (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 10:02

Please help me sort out what I should do...

I ordered a Blanco Cascade sink in October. It was supposed to arrive in three weeks, about a week before my cabinet install. Then I was told it would be another 2 weeks. Now I am being told mid-December. Blanco concurs with the mid-December estimate.

My cabinets have been in since November 8 so I am ready for a countertop measure except that I don't have the sink. I am most frustrated by the fact that what if the sink is delayed again? I can wait til mid December. But if it ends up being mid-January for some reason I will be kicking myself for waiting.

My second choice sink is the Blanco Diamond Super Single which is available now. Would you wait for the Cascade whenever it arrives? or cancel that order and get the Diamond now?

Cascade- love the raised ledge and the fact the you don't have to fill the whole width of the sink to wash dishes but have the width of the sink to hold big pots and pans, pancake griddle, etc.

Diamond- big sink but needs more water to fill it. Less expensive than the Cascade. ($300 vs $472)

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stuck in sink h@ll and need some guidance

Has Blanco given you a reason for the delays? If they can assure you that it really will be mid-December...I'd wait. You have valid reasons for wanting that particular sink. It will be worth waiting for.

That said, I have a single bowl with the off-set drain (makes for great room under the sink) and I find a dishpan (which lives under the sink when not in use)creates the same functionality. So...if you are truly worried that it will be mid-January--give that some thought.

o

Can they go ahead and provide you with a template so the fabricators can start work on the counters? then when the sink comes in they can mount it? I don't know that doing that would gain you much time, really, but it's a possibility.

o

I'm sorry this happened to you. I know it is frustrating, but I'm recommending to wait for the sink you originally were planning. You "love" the raised inner ledge, it does seems like a nice feature. Since you have waited this long for your new kitchen, what is two more weeks in the long run ? You have already budgeted for it too. IF they say it is coming mid-Dec and it doesn't, then then you might think about switching. ( My luck, I'd give up a sink I wanted and get my second choice only to encounter another delay somewhere else, so I should have waited anyway.) My vote, as hard as seems now, wait it out two more weeks. Good luck, and please us know what you decide, how it works out.

o

I have a large single bowl with an offset drain too. I love it. I love taking a baking sheet and putting in the sink and it lays flat. I have no reason (in my world) to have a divided sink ever again. I also love the extra room below.

Could this be the Universe's way of making you rethink your choice? Who knows?

Do what you think is right. If this sink is the sink of your dreams, then wait for it, but maybe you need a "drop-dead" deadline, and then you go with Plan B.

o

I remember sink h@ll, all too well. Ordered sink from plumbers surplus at a great place, arrived broken, replacement was not available at original cost instead was $500 more, rethought sink decision, etc, etc, etc....
Now my sink is in the LR in its box, the countertops will be templated TODAY, any minute the doorbell should ring....
My original sink was a Kohler Indio, which I still love, but the rethinking process made me decide that my clumsy family that cooks with mostly cast iron skillets would chip my enamel sink. I thought about the Cascade, actually lusted over it, but ended up with the Performa 1 and 3/4 bowl. I only changed my mind for function reasons. I would totally wait for the Cascade, unless you have changed your heart's desire to the Super Single. It is only 2 weeks. I know these last few weeks are torturous, I am living them with you. I am sick of washing dishes in the bathroom, I am sick of tripping over piles of dishes everywhere, but hang tough, we can do it :)

o

If you do get the template, realize that Blanco templates for a partial reveal. If you don't want a reveal, the template may not give all the information you need for proper templating.

o

Yes, the sheet shows that it is "provided with approximately 1/8" reveal."

The file you can get from http://www.blancoamerica.com/c3/blanco_usa/_www/en/pub/technical_information/dxf_files.cfm has a bit more information than the file you get from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CHAQFjAB&url=http%3A//www.blancoamerica.com/inter/kt/HeilerPPMKatalog/hlr-system/USA/Sinks_Bowls/BLANCOPERFORMA_SILGRANIT_Cascade_Super_Single_Bowl/Spec_Page/440063.pdf&ei=pfO4UKPPCYrn0QG5lIDACQ&usg=AFQjCNH2HhRq5Noa5Mi9zGOdbBWVZz76XQ&sig2=WLucIlU8adysUgnBCHWIBQ except that the latter does have a side view.

Not sure if the combo of those things would be enough but at least you can see what they look like.

Here is a link that might be useful: measurements

o

If money were no object I would have chosen the Cascade. I like the idea of the small elevated area and still retaining the ability to put big things like a cookie sheet in it.

But my budget was tight and a Silgranite sink alone was an upgrade for me so I chose the Super Single. I have to say I love it, I love the offset drain and it seems to function well for everything I have to do. I love the room it offers under the sink.

But I think I would second what most of the others are saying, wait for what you want. You'll always missing having it if you don't.

o

Well, after reading your replies I made an executive decision. I cancelled the Cascade and ordered the Diamond. My heart still loves the Cascade but my head said I need to be practical. (My head usually wins arguments.) If the sink doesn't come in or it comes in damaged I will be stuck in the same place I am today.

Hopefully I will have a sink next week and can move forward. I think I will like the Diamond just fine and am glad a lot of you like your big sinks.

Thank you for all of your advice and experience!

o

P.S. Blanco did tell me about the positive reveal on the template and that was another thing that I would have made a compromise on. I really want a zero reveal so now I will feel better about doing that since the sink will be here when templating is done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here