Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieh1926_gw

Finished Kitchen -- Phew (lots of pics!)

julieh1926
13 years ago

Well, we're 90% done! I want to thank everyone on this site for all your help and knowledge! I lurked a lot, posted some, and learned invaluable stuff here.

I'll list out the details, give some thoughts and explain where we were and where we are now.

First the details:

Cabinets: Kraftmaid Hayward (also known as Putnam) in Natural Cherry

Counters: Barroca Soasptone from Buck's County Soapstone

Ovens: GE Monogram ZET2RMSS

Fridge: 42" built-in GE Monogram ZIS42ONX

Cooktop: 36" Wolf Electric (no gas at our house): CT36EIS

Hood: Best by Broan

Dishwasher: Bosch SHV68PO3UC

Faucets (main & drinking): Grohe LadyLuxe 3 in Real Steel (note that the drinking faucet at the sink isn't in yet)

Water Filter for Drinking Faucet (not installed yet)

Soap Dispense: Grohe Deluxe XL

Sink: Ticor S105-8R

Pendant Light: Tech Lighting Coronado in Honey Onyx

Floors: maple in a cinnamon stain

Microwave: our very old (almost 20 years -- has been in the basement for 12) Sharp

What we did: Our house is a typical 1970's Rambler in the Northern VA area. Before, when you entered the house there was a formal dining "room" which was really an open platform, that led to a step-down to a formal living room. The kitchen was a postage-size stamp of a square. Amazingly, it worked really well... for one person. The cabinets were really cheap particle board and were literally coming off the walls. We had an informal dining area and den off the kitchen.

This is a DIY job, with my husband doing everything except electric and some drywalling. Took a bit longer, but we saved sooo much $ that we were able to splurge elsewhere. We also tacked the back room and turned it into a pool table room and fixed up the basement.

Our goal: we created a formal dining room in the area where the breakfast room/den used to be. We then converted the center of our house (kitchen, dining platform and living room) into a large kitchen-great room. This is working perfectly for our family.

We did opt for a 2 level island (which I know is not popular here). We did so to set a divider from the great room to the kitchen. We have plenty of room for prep work at the counters, and projects/homework is done at the table primarily.

We couldn't be happier.

Favorite feature is definitely the soapstone. We just LOVE it and I still can't believe it's mine! We also are really happy with the cabinets. I know Kraftmaid gets a bad rap, but we had a great experience with them all the way through.

So far, there are only 2 things I would have done differently: the positioning of our faucet isn't the greatest, and causes the reach of the faucet into the sink to be shorter than I want. But... no fixing that.

Also, while I love the pendant, it gets lost in the paint color. I plan on putting in a window treatment eventually that will hopefully solve this problem.

If you've kept with me this far, here are the pix (some before included) (sorry some are a bit fuzzy!):

Before:

New:

Comments (38)

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW! You guys did a great job! I can't believe your DH did most of the work by himself! Fabulous transformation!

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Oh, my word, what a dramatic change! When I saw your "before" pictures, I was thinking that they looked good, but once I saw your "afters"--wow, that is so much better! Kudoes for a job well done!

• dfzmom
    13 years ago

Wow, what a great transformation! And I'm amazed that it was mostly DIY. Love that bilevel island and the way the soapstone continues up as a backsplash.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Love love everything!!!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Beautiful! The cabinets and everything are so pretty. I love the 2 level island and the unique shape of it. Great job!

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much! We really love it, and I couldn't be more proud of my husband's work. The cabinets were trickier than he expected, but once he got going with the first couple, the others came easier.

Next up is our entertainment center (being built now) and we'll get speakers wired, etc. It never ends, does it?

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

I really really love your kitchen. The transformation is gorgeous. I also really like that you have a painted backsplash area. A friend of mine did that and it really appeals to me.

• igarvin
    13 years ago

lovely functional kitchen. I wish our pantry was wide enough for the step ladder! Great use of space!

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Va va va voom! It's just an amazing before & after & I bet you are just in heaven. I love all the pull outs.

What is the little flat pullout at the bottom here?

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Very warm and inviting -- gorgeous! Your soapstone is beautiful.

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marti8a -- the step stool isn't on a pull-out at all! It's just the bottom of the cabinet. We really lucked out that it fit, especially since there's no where else to put it in the kitchen!

• shannon319
    13 years ago

Hey, thanks for posting! All my colors will be very similar (yellow-ish walls, stain on cabs, black counters) even some red accents around the kitchen. Neat to see all those colors together!

Beautiful job!

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Congratulations! Love your soapstone (go Bucks County) with the cherry, it's very striking especially on the two level island.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Looks fabulous! I love your colors and your soapstone. I think the bi-level counter works perfectly in your space. We are doing a complete remodel of first floor. My husband is doing most of the work himself also. Cabinets arrive Dec 2 and I have been insisting we hire the installation- just afraid since he's never done that before. Of course he says No problem, he can do it. Any suggestions? We live in Annapolis- let's just have your DH come over- he did a great job . LOL

• byronroad
    13 years ago

What a great looking kitchen and space. I really like the curved toe-kick under the stove-top and then the way the rest of the island seems to float. Really neat looking. The wall hanging at the top of the stairs - what is it and where did you get it. I like the colours and textured look of it.

• function_first
    13 years ago

Best. Island. Ever. Love it --- two level and three sided, with the hood coming down from the ceiling -- what a show piece. Beautiful kitchen.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi julie...

It looks wonderful..how fortunate to have such a handy DH! I have Kraftmaid Cherry cabs and I agree with you. We had a great experience all around with Home Depot and the Kraftmaid line. The kitchen designer from HD worked with our GC and did a terrific job. I'm glad to hear that you are happy too!

KA:)

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

great job! I love the shape of the island. Great storage--appliance garage, pantry pullout. And, on a different topic--love the fireplace!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Love it, and I love your island, too! Looks like a terrific use of space, neat angles, and very functional!

Love the soapstone vein disappearing into the appliance garage!

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

What a lovely home you've created! The raised bar is perfect for creating some division between the kitchen and great room without making either room feel isolated from the other. I think that was very smart!

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow -- you all are the best! thanks!
    Joan2121: install of the cabinets was... interesting. My husband literally sat and stared at the cabinets for 2 days. He was paralyzed with not knowing where to start. But we took it cabinet by cabinet (or should I say he did). Lots of leveling and shims later, we had it done. We still need to do the light rail & crown. We thought seriously about having someone else install, but it was so ridiculously expensive. We just couldn't stomach paying that much $ out for something we knew he could do. Not sure he'd ever want to do it again though!

Byronroad: the art piece (the large one across from the stairs) is something my husband made! I call it a wood painting. He saw a piece similar to it at an uber-fancy hotel in Dubai when he was there on business. It's basically just wood triangles cut in different sizes and glued in a pattern. Very easy, a bit mind-numbing. But we love it! He'll be very happy that someone noticed it!

The fireplace is something we certainly couldn't have done if we hadn't saved so much $ on the overall project by DIY'ing it. We love it.

The fireplace & counters are the two things that were splurges, but that we love the most.

Thanks again.

• stacys
    13 years ago

Beautiful!
    Similar colors to my kitchen and I would love to know what paint you used on the walls (I only have primer, unable to commit yet).
    Thanks

• ptyles
    13 years ago

What a beautiful transformation. It made your space so calming and open and airy. I love the soapstone with the color of your cabinets. Great job!

• pip
    13 years ago

Wow, beautiful! I am seriously impressed this is a DIY job. Your husband is one talented man!

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Julie....

Nice job! Kudos to your hubby. : )

A favor to ask...would you please post a pic of your main sink/faucet (shot from above) because I will be installing that same sink and would like to see where you thought your faucet placement was not optimal.

Thanks in advance.
    Pepper

• cpartist
    13 years ago

Are you sure your dh wasn't a pro in a previous life? It turned out fabulous.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

You have had entirely too much fun and done a great job along the way. The kitchen really fits the decor of the rest of the rooms and is integrated nicely. Kudos. Hope it continues to be great fun to be there.

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stacys: the paint color we used was Sherwin Williams Blonde. Love it. We had a different gold in our house before, but this is a bit softer.

txpepper: I'm attaching 2 pictures of our sink (above view and regular). This is one area that I truly think Buck's messed up and we didn't catch it. If you look at the regular view photo, the faucet should be moved over to the right more -- more where the curve is. Oh well -- not a huge deal at all. And if this is the only "mistake," I'll take it!

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting the photos-I love looking at everyone's transformation....great job. Love the appliance hideaway!

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Yay pretty new wood kitchen!! Looks amazing! What a cool island, must be so much fun to cook there. Beautiful job :)

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shoot -- txpepper, sorry about the faucet photos! We deleted them from photobucket by accident last night. I'll re-upload them again this evening after work.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Goes seamlessly fits with your house. Love that it is a beautiful wood kitchen. Soapstone looks amazing with it. Wood floors look great.

Your kitchen is a fabulous example of:

non-white
    Barocca soapstone (some people have been asking about it on here recently)
    wood floor coordinating with wood stained cabinets

So beautiful! Congrats!

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Lovely. I think this kitchen flows so much better with the rest of the house. Your island and soapstone are standouts.

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TXPepper -- the pictures of the faucet placement are live again -- you can see them above. Hope this helps! And thanks again, everyone, for your comments!

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Julie,

Thanks for the pics. Looks like the facet could have moved over toward the large sink about 1/3 to a 1/2 inch.

But in the grand scheme of things, if this is the worst that happened with your kitchen, you are blessed.

Did you purchase the cutting board that fits? If yes, how does it fit the smaller sink? I was just thinking about how the board sits on top...if the sink needed a positive reveal so the board sits on the 'ledge' or if the board was cut in some other manner. I guess I need to call the store where I purchased the sink and ask.

Thanks again for the pics!!!

Pepper

• julieh1926
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're right Pepper -- it's such a minor flaw. The faucet is sort of centered on the center of the sink (the divider) and it could be moved over some to the right. But seriously, no big deal at all. Worst case is I end up buying a new faucet eventually. But I love the faucet so I'm just altering slightly how I do some dishes. Gosh, considering all the many larger things that could have gone wrong, this is just a blip on my radar.

AND, I didn't know about the cutting board -- didn't have one listed when I purchased the sink ages ago. Off to search it out! I may end up buying it! Thanks.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think the kitchen is just lovely to look at and has a great layout as well. I love an open plan and how yours integrates with the rest of the house.
    Your husband should really score for Xmas this year, he's been very good ;)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen remodel ~ I LOVE IT!!! Gorgeous cabs, gorgeous counters. Why can't all kitchens be so beautiful? :-)

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company