Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homechef59_gw

Seamless Sink

HomeChef59
9 years ago

I'm planning on using an under mount stainless sink in my kitchen remodel. I've had a Franke stainless sink in three of my previous homes. I think they were made in Germany at that time. Now days, everything stainless seems to be made in China. Probably due the nasty environmental issues with stainless steel manufacturing.

I have two questions for the stainless crowd. First, I see the Kraus sinks everywhere. Is anyone unhappy? Is anyone having rusting or pitting issues with the sink. I don't care about scratching. I got over that 3 houses ago. But, rusting would tend to piss me off. The low price seems too good to be true. I'm not interested in their faucets.

Second, does anyone have experience with the Seamless Sink? http://www.seamlesssink.com/ It seems like a good idea. But, I want to hear from someone with a good experience.

I'm willing to pay for good quality. I just don't want to pay more than necessary.

Comments (13)

• shannonplus2
    9 years ago

I can't answer your question about the Seamless Sink, but I will address your concern with a stainless steel sink rusting. When rust appears on stainless steel it is because something external is on the stainless steel's surface that is rusting. ANY stainless steel sink can show rust if steel wool like Brillo or other steel wool pads are used on it. I repeat, ANY brand of stainless steel sink, not just Kraus or Franke. When you see rust in a stainless steel sink, it's from the iron residue left by the steel wool on top of the stainless steel. You can use Barkeepers Friend to remove it.

I'll quote from Franke's website:

Steel wool or metal scouring pads should never be used to clean your sink as they will leave a residue of small iron particles. They may not be readily visible, but they will lead to rusting and corrosion of the sink.

I also want to suggest that you think outside your box and try a different material than stainless steel for your sink. You said you've had 3 already. C'mon, don't you want a change for your 4th sink in your new kitchen? I suggest you look at the Blanco Silgranit sinks - they don't scratch, don't show water marks, don't get a dull film, are heat-resistant to 530 degrees, and come in a bunch of colors that enhance the decor of your kitchen, whether the look is traditional, modern, or in-between. I have no affiliation with Blanco - I am just a fan, and I myself have experienced the regret of buying a stainless steel sink just because it's what I had before, and didn't look at alternatives.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I have a 20 years old stainless steel sinks pair in my kitchen and never have a rust issue. Those that rust must be cheaply and badly made.

• HomeChef59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a stainless bar sink that I won't be replacing. Because of the open concept, it would be best to use stainless.

• shannonplus2
    9 years ago

There is no rule that says that the two sinks have to match. Just saying'â¦. :)

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

I like my Blanco brown sink, but it never looks clean! Always has white water marks.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I have a Kraus sink that has been in use for just about a year and have no problems with rusting or pitting.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I like the seamlesssssink, but I can't imagine anything manufactured in Cincinnati, Ohio, competing on price. They do custom and I may need one of those soon. Thanks.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I showed the picture of the seamless website to two different people and neither of them understood what they were seeing until I pointed it out and explained it to them. They should add a big pointer that says "see no garbage disposal rim here just smooth sink" or words of similar import. I was intrigued by the lack of a rim around the drain. Keeping that rim clean around the garbage disposal is a pain. Their pictures did seem to indicate that there was a garbage disposal below, with no visible rim above. (However it was a little unclear to me why the sink they were attaching the garbage disposal to was white, and not stainless, perhaps that was insulation?) Have you seen one of these in real life? It seems to me that the black area below the drain would still require a lot of cleaning and in fact it would be harder to see whether it was clean because it's black. What would be really cool is if they could license their rimless idea and translated it to Blanco silgranite -- now that would be really great for us end users....I digress.

• HomeChef59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wondered about disposals, too. They have a video that shows how to connect the drain flange to a garbage disposal. It looked so simple that I think I could do it!

I'm just going to have to call them and have a chat.

• cincy-remodel
    9 years ago

Looks the same as the elkay perfect drain?

• practigal
    9 years ago

Yes it does, thank you Cindy-remodel! Always good to know there are still more choices;)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I have not babied my Kraus (washing heavy cast iron pots, paint brushes and buckets, and drywall tools), and have not had any issues with rust or pitting.

• HomeChef59
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks cincy-remodel. I took a look at the Elkay. I like it. It comes in sizes that will fit better with my application. Plus, it's made in America!