Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
p_ball2

Which size pendants over my island?

p.ball2
11 years ago

Hi All,

Back to making decisions! Never thought this would be so stressful!

We are underway with our kitchen and I am going to need to make the decision on the size pendants for our island. Our island is 3 1/2' x 6'. It will be topped with Walnut. Our cabinets are white inset (similar style to Katieob and Beekeepers)with glass fronts. The perimeter counters are most likely going to be soapstone. We will have can lighting and under cabinet lighting in the room. I am looking at a number of vintage style industrial look fixtures. The finish will be polished nickel. I am just not sure which size is the right size. I do not like too small but I do not want them to overwhelm.

There will be two pendants over the island. Is 8"diameter too small or just right or should I go for 11-12" diameter? The fixtures will be the restoration hardware Benson pendant or similar ( see link below).

Any input or wisdom or pictures are appreciated!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (59)

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

I think that my dimensions and choices were very similar to yours and I went with the larger option. Unfortunately I don't have any measurements here, but can at least link a pic to help envision the larger size. If you would like I could do some measuring when I get home.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kellienoelle: Do you remember the name of the fixture? It would be wonderful if you don't remember if you could measure the diameter of the base of your fixture because you have a great example for me!

Thanks!

• corgimum
    11 years ago

One thing to consider is how prominent you want your pendant lights to be in the room. Do you want them to be the first thing you notice? Or do you want them to blend in? The bigger ones definitely command more attention.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Here are the measurements:

Island is roughly 30" x 70" and the pendants measure about 10.5" at their widest point.

Sounds like my island similar in size to nineteenoeight so it would be interesting to compare to hers to see which you would prefer.

corgimum brings up a good point, I liked the more prominent pendent lights, especially since cabinets went up to the ceiling (9 feet) so felt like middle of the room could use some "weight". Personally, I wanted them hung a bit lower, but my 6'1" husband disagreed.

I can't seem to recall who made my pendants. I loved the ones that you are looking at, and considered purchasing them. On a whim I stopped by a local light shop and found these at a lower price. I looked on their website to try to find the manufacturer, but can't seem to find the exact lights. I am sure I could contact them to find out. Now I wish I had done a reveal thread with all of my stats since i can't really rely on my memory.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

OK, last picture, just so you can see what I was referring to with the visual "weight". I don't know how your set up will work, but just something else to keep in mind.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

Thanks Pball2. The cabinet above my range is functional and I keep seldom used items in it, currently my crock pot. Of course, the range exhaust runs through the cabinet and vents outside, so the space is only about half usable.

So far, I have not put anything on the mantle shelf, but I have two pottery plates that might look nice up there. I was thinking of asking my GC to cut a groove in the shelf for plates.

I still have to paint, get backsplash, finalize window seat and have it built, and stain trim, so no reveal for me yet, but we're getting there.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry about the delay in responding to everyone's kind help with my dilemma.

Dilly- I am very excited about my mantle shelf. On Bee's advice ( thanks Bee) I asked my cabinet maker to put a plate groove on the mantle. I am looking forward to displaying my blue willow up there and change out for holiday decor when appropriate. I would definitely get the plate groove!

Kellienoelle- Thanks sooo much for the measurements! Very helpful. I think seeing how much presence the more solid/ taller pendants have as opposed to Dilly's pretty and bigger but not as tall pendants has helped me to decide. I believe I am going to go with the 8". I think I would love it if they were 9" but in my searches I have found 7", 8" 11" larger, no 9" in that particular look and finish. I think the 11" or 12" diameter may be too big. Corginum made a great point about what you want to be the main feature in the room and my choice would be the glass front cabinets.

Thank you so much for your advice and pictures- a huge help!!!

• michelle16
    11 years ago

pball- i think my island is the same size, and I went with the yoke visual comfort one;s that katie has in her new kitchen. They are not up yet so I will measure them, but I think they are actually 15"! Now, I'm wondering if that is too wide. I will let you know the size.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

okay I just checked the specs on them, they are 11". I believe I had 11 or 12 with my old island that was the same size. I would go alittle bigger than 8". I think when they are too skimpy it looks funny.What is the next size up after the 8"??

• michelle16
    11 years ago

if you want, my husband is prob. hanging them up on friday, i will post a picture, because our islands are the same exact size, so you will see how it looks, let me know..

• carp123
    11 years ago

the larger ones for sure.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

AHHHH! Just kidding. This is why I love this forum.

Michelle: Absolutely post a picture since the island is the same size and the fixtures are the same look!!!

I will take a look at the other fixtures and sizes later today but I think the next size up for that particular fixture by Kichler is 13 1/2" diameter. I looked at the Benson pendant and that one is 7" ( too small) or 13". The Harmon is 13". I love the ones from Circa lighting but they are beyond my budget. If anyone has suggestions I am open to similar look.

I have looked at the Jamie Young pendant which is 9" but my husband did not like it at all - he said it was too feminine. I try to at least take some of his input into consideration since he is giving me so much independence with this renovation thus far.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

pball- the circa one's i got are the same as katieob's-(visual comfort) they are 11"- i got them from lighting newyork- with 15% off what they are at circa and all other websites. I think it came out to 500ish. I have codes for discounts they send me on my email. Is 500ish in your budget or are the others cheaper?? let me know I can send you the discount code.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

my sconces next to the range are hudson valley- they are the same look, I will check to see if they make the pendant

• michelle16
    11 years ago

I checked hudson valley, they make a 10 1/2 size but are in the 600 hundred range as well

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michelle- Thank you for your help- so nice of you! I really love those Circa comfort and went back to the site to look at them but even with the discount it is still high for us. We have to buy a lot of lighting with this renovation/addition. I have four outdoor sconces, dining room chandy, bathroom lighting and the kitchen and breakfast area lighting. Then of course there is the under cabinet lighting etc...
    I need to keep the fixture under $400 but even lower would be better

I also went on to Hudson valley -love their stuff too- I am getting my bathroom fixtures from them- but they were 1. expensive and 2. too big I think for over the island.

I am going to wait to see how your 11" look over your island before I absolutely rule them out but I am trying hard not to get crazy and go so over budget that we are paying it off for the next 10 years.

I have found nice affordable options with House of Antique Hardware, Kichler but not the ideal size.

• windycitylindy
    11 years ago

I have a 36" x 72" island. We went with two 8" pendants because I didn't want them "in the way" when chatting with someone on the other side of the island. Plus, our house has low ceilings, and I didn't want too much "stuff" hanging there. I'm happy with the size, and I think that in our space, the 12" pendants would have been too much. Here are a couple of shots:

• michelle16
    11 years ago

windy city lindy- gorgeous kitchen, what is your backsplash? can you post an upclose pic. of it? tks! Michelle
    Pball-good luck! maybe the 8" cheaper ones will be perfect in the space and affordable!

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I swear I posted last night but I must not have hit the submit button. I am losing my mind!

Windycity: Thank you. That picture is very helpful. The 8" pendants look good! They are exactly the type I am looking for so to see them over an island of similar size is a big visual help. Do you recall where you got them or the manufacturer? My gut is still telling me the ideal size is 9" or even 10" but I have not had any luck finding what I want in that size range. I will wait to see how Michelle16 look in the 11" for comparison.

Your backsplash is quite beautiful. Any chance we can get some details on it and maybe a closer look?

• windycitylindy
    11 years ago

Here's my backsplash. All the photos I took of it came out very dark and light when in reality the bright spots from the undercabinet lighting are more subtle. It's white harlequin tile from Daltile. I wanted something interesting and unique but subtle enough to not detract from the stone.

{{!gwi}}

The pendants were from Hampton Bay.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Windycity: just saved your backsplash to my clippings. Nice alternative to subway.

I will check out that light fixture on Hampton Bay website. I do not think I have come across one from Hampton bay yet

Thanks!

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bummer. Just went onto Hampton Bay/Home Depot website. They do not have anything like those fixtures. Did you get them from Home Depot. That is the only place that seems to carry Hampton Bay.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Re the Hampton Bay lighting: I googled that too, as I am on the hunt for the ultimate lighting. The first thing I saw was a big pile of consumer complaints, causing me to cross Hampton Bay off the list. (Obviously, they are working for Lindy, which is excellent though!)

Similar fixtures can be found at Restoration Hardware, Hudson Valley Lighting and perhaps Kichler. I definitely like that same style!

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found this light which is 10". I like it but the look is slightly different than what I was considering.
    Does anyone have this light in their kitchen??

Here is a link that might be useful: Jamie young Lafitte 10

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karin_mt: Thanks for the info on Hampton Bay.
    I have found those fixtures from the manufacturers you mentioned but either too expensive or do not fall into the right size category. Looking for alternatives. They are gorgeous aren't they!!

• michelle16
    11 years ago

pball- I think anna has those- i believe that is her name, she has the plaster hood with the herringbone backsplash- you actually commented on her pendants once before.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michelle: I do remember her kitchen and I did like them then but she has the Saint Charles and the link I have is for the Lafitte- a small difference but they are a different size so I was hoping someone might have those specific lights.
    The Lafitte is 10 1/2". The Saint Charles comes in two sizes- 7" and 9 3/4". I wonder which size she used? Do you remember her screen name?

Any luck getting those visual comfort pendants up over your island??

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Hey Paula, my husband just came home, he has been working double shifts all week(he's a cop) so I promise if not today, def. tom.! I don't remembr her screen name, but I will look at my favorites, I prob. have her picture saved and I will try and get the pendant info.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Here it is, her screen name is annsch- I would of picked these if not for my circa yoke one's. She has it labeled- Jamie Young St. Charles Pendants in Mercury Glass- the one's you are thinking of are the same shape but larger and in polished nickel?

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the picture of her kitchen. They are very pretty but she has three, although her island is quite long!
    The one I posted is a bit boxier and assuming she used the larger St.Charles, about one inch larger.

All the Jamie Young pendants are mercury glass.

One other concern I have is the light coming from them. The Jamie Young pendants do not have a light diffuser and only take 40 watt bulbs. Not sure that is enough illumination.

What wattage are yours?

No rush! Nothing like having two women hounding him to get the pendants up. Tell him to have a relaxing evening and sleep in tomorrow, then he can hang the pendants.. just kidding. When he does just please post a picture.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Hey Paula, pictures as promised. I think the size is good for the space.I'll post acouple, let me know if you want me to get another angle, thanks, Michelle.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

This one shows the light over the table as well-copied both from katieob:)

• michelle16
    11 years ago

One more picture, I am noticing they are alittle dark and fuzzy, I'll try to take more in a bit

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

That looks great Michelle! Your kitchen is gorgeous. I am sure this will confuse p.ball all the more because the examples with the smaller lights looks so pretty too.

How big is your room p.ball? How tall are the ceilings?

The devil is in the details, huh?

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Another view

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Up close shot, so you can see what 11" diameter looks like

• michelle16
    11 years ago

thanks kellie, I think the smaller one's work (like in annasch's picture)when you have 3. i think when there is just 2 ,bigger is better.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

I obviously agree since I did two myself over a same size island! One other thing that I was noticing, yours looks much less "heavy" than mine do because of the finish, even though they are likely the same size. Or maybe it is because of your pretty white cabinets. Perhaps something else for p.ball to consider.

Sigh, I was going to purchase a similar finish but when I was headed out to the store I happened to look into the adjacent eat in area and notice (for the first time somehow) the ORB fixture in there...that matched the ORB fixture in the family room....which matched the ORB fixture in the entry. I was kind of bummed about it at first, but I have no regrets now, I like the ORB with the dark wood!

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Kellie-I think the ORB looks great in your kitchen- that's what I would have done in your kitchen. I have ORB on all my door handles and lots of other fixtures.Just decided to change it up in the kitchen.Posting a front angle for pball to see, hopefully she see'd there, might have to email her!

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kellienoelle: First of all I can't imagine your warm wood kitchen with anything but the ORB fixtures. I think you made the right choice. Secondly, yes I am more confused but also a little relieved because both the small and large seem to look fine. I don't think either are a mistake it is more a matter of taste and maybe budget.

Michelle: Thank you so much for posting the pics. You must be so pyched to have those fixtures up. They are drop dead gorgeous and I am jealous!! I will let you know when I make my decision.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kellienoelle: My ceilings are 9' 1" and the room size is 150" x 218" which converts to 12' 6" x 18' but on the side opposite the 12"6" it is only 11' 6". It is open to an eating area.

Not sure what michelle16 dimensions are but she seems to have a wider space but maybe not as long.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

michelle16: was on pinterest and just saw your kitchen! Nice to know that others think you have a great looking kitchen. If they could only see it now with the pendants. It was a picture pre-pendants.

I have it pinned now too! Hope that doesn't bother you.

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michelle: what is the pendant that you have over your kitchen table? It is pretty and I see it is polished nickel but the drum shade really warms it up. Trying to talk hubby into a drum shade but he does not seem to like it. Maybe if he sees one in a fab kitchen he will change his mind. Did you get it from Circa also?

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Yes the table light is also from visual comfort-it is called the reed shade, I got the lights from lighting new york because I got 15% off the web price, so it was cheaper than from circa, but they are the same one's from circa.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

Yes the table light is also from visual comfort-it is called the reed shade, I got the lights from lighting new york because I got 15% off the web price, so it was cheaper than from circa, but they are the same one's from circa.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

paula-just wanted to add- you really can't go wrong with either slightly smaller or my size.In my case, the designer told me to match my sconces next to the range, because adding another shape would be too much-too busy. So since I had the sconces already and loved them, these are the pendants I wound up with-plus I love katieob's kitchen, it was my inspiration, so that didn't hurt either! LOL- good luck, whatever u decide will be great!

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

With a higher ceiling height, I think I would lean to the larger size. Despite the size of your island, I would worry that the smaller would look wimpy. Unless (like Michele mentioned), you went with three lights. Again, take my vote for what its worth, I obviously favor the bigger since that is what I did, but think it will look just fine either way. Isn't it odd there there is nothing in the middle....it is either 8" or 11". I guess the story of a remodel though...you can envision it yet can't find it, or you find it and it is out of your price range!

And yes, now I can't imagine having my kitchen with what I orginally wanted either. I was thinking I wanted to match the stainless and pulls, but I do like how the current lights tie with the cabinets. The ORB was one of the several fortunate last minute decisions that I made!

• p.ball2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I am starting to agree with you both. With three you can go smaller but I have two and the island is wired for two.

I now have my eye on the 11" Harmon pendant from Restoration hardware. Of course I just missed the Friends and family sale :(. Hope they do another one in the next two months??

• michelle16
    11 years ago

I really like the harmon and at 379 with 20% off that comes to roughly 300 a piece, can't beat it. they will have the sale again, they do it every few months, i'm on the email, I will let u know..

• roywild01
    7 years ago

Hoe much the 13" benson pendants weight?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio