Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Next Step...Painting....and I need your help!! [Photo heavy]

Buehl
15 years ago

Well, our pantry is finally finished, so now it's time for painting. We are planning to paint the entire house, but are starting with the Kitchen, DR, Foyer, PR, and Family Room. These are the rooms that were either remodeled or flow into the Kitchen. Eventually, we'd like to do the LR and Library/Computer Room on the first floor...then work our way up the stairway & upstairs hall and lastly the upstairs bedrooms & bathrooms.

Let me preface this with the fact that I am not the artistic type and definitely do not trust my color sense. Ask me something related to science, math, or computers and I can probably answer...ask me about anything artistic and I flounder! So, here goes!

First off, our entire house is white, including the trim and doors. We were so afraid of creating a colorful mess, that we went with white throughout the house when we painted a few years ago! However, with the success of the Kitchen remodel, the help that I've had from all of you, and the wonderful colorful kitchens I've seen here, I feel like it's time to jump into uncharted waters....color!

My everday dishes are Pfaltzgraff's Yortowne...gray & blue. I have collected many dishes and decorative items over the years and I would like to incorporate some of them into the Kitchen decor. (You'll see some of them in the pictures to come.)

We've tentatively picked out three colors to discuss...all BM Classic Colors. However, we are very open to other suggestions, so don't be shy...let me know (1) what you think of these colors and (2) do you think something different would work better?

The first is Cornsilk (#198):

The second is Wedgewood Gray (HC-146):

The third is America's Heartland (#197):

What are your thoughts?

We've been thinking Cornsilk in the Kitchen and DR and Wedgewood Gray in the Foyer and FR. I have no idea what to do in the PR!! We will not have a tile BS for at least a year, so the entire BS area will be painted as well as the walls above the shorter wall cabinets, around the hood, and over the window. Included in this are the Cooktop Niche and the Message Center Niche. Here are pictures of the areas we're focusing on initially:

Kitchen:

Don't know what I'm going to do w/the niche right now...open to...

Comments (60)

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I usually like yellow colors in a kitchen as well, but seeing that Wedgewood blue with your cabs and counters I would go with it. Really looks good. Great color in your kitchen.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Another vote for wedgewood with your cabs. I like yellow with white painted kitchens, but don't think it goes well with the reddy orange tones in your stained cabs.

• david123
    15 years ago

One thing to remember.......if you try it and don't like it, its super easy to change the color!

Do you have access to sherwin williams paint? If so, check out Blonde and see what you think of it. It's a yellowish tan, but not really yellow, and so far I love it in every room I used it in (it's not in my kitchen, because I needed a slightly different yellow to work with my cabinets). Everyone I know who uses it loves it too.

Good luck and don't be afraid of the paintbrush!

• borngrace
    15 years ago

Have you posted pics and color ideas on home decorating? There are some very good photoshoppers over there that can show you your whole kitchen in each color - I vote for one of the first 2 and def not the 3rd.

• berryfarm
    15 years ago

Cornsilk! I would do Cornsilk in the kitchen and eat-in area, then maybe for the foyer you can use Heartland--or the color just below/lighter than Cornsilk on the paint card. I like that yellow with your cabinets, and you definitely need yellow if you are going to get that beautiful Tuscan dining set. I don't think it matters what you use for the powder room, maybe you can do a green in there, like a light olive green (a green w/a yellow undertone).

I like the blue, but do not think it does a thing for your cabinets, and it may be too much blue with your dinnerware; it might not go with your new wood floors, either. If you were planning a light, white/grey based tile floor, the blue would probably be the better choice.

Very pretty kitchen! I am jealous, we just moved into a house built in 1978 and the only new thing in my kitchen is the Miele DW we just bought. Yes--I have laminate countertops AND cabinets! (Remodel will prob start next year and I will be on gardenweb all the time then.)

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

When I was reading your post, I was thinking gray, but after seeing the 3 colors, I like cornsilk best for your kitchen. The wedgewood wasn't hitting it just right for me. Maybe something a teensy bit greyer on the color wheel.

As for the powder room - How high is the ceiling in there? I love your black fixtures. I'd embrace the jewel box size and go for a rich saturated color in a high sheen, then hang a sparkly chandelier from the ceiling, but only if you have headroom for it.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Don't like the yellows with your cabs- makes them look too orangey. I think they'd be fine elsewhere, though.

I do like the Wedgewood for your kitchen but think I might go a step one way or the other on the wheel.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

I agree with having a color consultation. It's only around $125 and well worth it. They bring the colors right to your house which makes such a difference. At first I was thinking greens because it looks so nice with cherry but I am a green person some people are not but after seeing your dishes I agree with rhome about a light brown tones. It will compiment the blue and also play off the warmth of the cherry. I will be getting cherry cabinets and some colors I like are BM Tyler Taupe HC-43 it maybe too dark for you I also like BM Decatur Buff which I think is very pretty. For your dining room or powder room my favorite color is BM Saybrook Sage HC-118 it is kind of a grey green. I have it in my dining room even DH likes it and he does not like green. Here are some pics. but I'm afraid the lighting is not very good. I like yellow/gold tones too. I have BM golden straw in my kitchen now but will probably be changing it only because we have to re-paint with remodle and I have had it awhile with my dark oak cabinets. Yellow/golds really brighten a room and are easy to live with but I am not sure about it with cherry.

My LR
    {{gwi:2109461}}
    my foyer mixed with BM Cumin
    {{gwi:2109462}}
    My DR sorry so dark

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

So funny, I've just started thinking about kitchen paint color as well and although all along I was thinking a cream, tan or pale yellow, just today I was thinking a bluish gray might be nice - and then you post it! I love your wedgewood, but I know there's a whole thing about blues being "cool" and yellows being "warm" and how it will affect the mood of your kitchen. Although I guess your wedgewood is more gray than blue. There's something about it that really appeals to me - it seems classy or sophisticated somehow.

• lovetocook9
    15 years ago

I personally like the Wedgewood Gray, I usually like the yellows over the blues but I thought the cornsilk made the cabinets to "orangy". The Wedgewood gave it a serene, sophisticated feel for me.

I liked the idea of the Color Consultant - Love the thought of someone using color all over the house and making it flow - didn't know that was available.

BTW, you've done a wonderful job with your remodeling! Love you "niches" - thought the bathroom/powder room could use one : ) Can't wait to see your progress...

• sdionnemoore
    15 years ago

Buehl, where did you get your PR vanity? I've looked all over for a vanity along that line and haven't found anything. Did the top come with the vanity? Many THX!

• joanr
    15 years ago

I like the yellow over the blue/gray especially if you are going for a Tuscany look but I think a darker yellowish/brown might go better. You might want to paint on one side of the cabinets with the yellow and the other side with the blue and then step back and look at just the color next to the cabinets. When you have the two colors side by side sometimes it is hard to get the true effect of the color.

p.s. Love your cabinets. Heck, I love your kitchen!!!

Joan

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I actually really hate the blue with your cabinets, and love the cornsilk. Your cabinets are warm, and need a warm tone to compliment them. (IMO)

The cool blue would be lovely in a living room setting, it's just not a fab kitchen color (IMO). But if it were in a kitchen, I'd prefer it with eithe black cabs, or very light wood cabs, maybe even white as well. But given the rich color of your cabinets, going rich is important.

Are you stuck on BM paints for some reason? I'd love to see you explore some other colors. Sherwin Williams Patience is a gorgeous tone, and I love Ralph Lauren Parchment, which is a fab tan tone and would work well with your cabinets. I'd do the ceilings in writers parchment (lighter than the parchment) and then throw in some warm golds and deeper blues as a compliment.
    In your powder room, I'd go with a gloss paint in a very bright jewel tone, but one that flows well with whatever is outside of it. I'd not use a traditional towel bar...the room is too small, but instead I'd use a hand towel ring hung on the left wall (if facing the sink). I'd put the toilet paper on a stand and tuck it in the corner in front of the toilet.

I'd pick some lovely art and cover the walls with it. For instance, animal oil paintings, or flowers, or whatever floats your boat, but all done in different frames, and literally covering the wall.

And definately a chandelier in there.

And then the kitchen nieche....A reproducton oil painting heavily varnished to protect it so you can just wipe it down. I'd loveto see something like cornflowers in a field, which will pull out the yellow and blue in your paint and accent pieces.

• rosie
    15 years ago

I really like all the colors you're considering, Buehl. Since I also fall sadly short of being brilliant with design, my contribution is a point explained and illustrated in a book that struck me as worth keeping in mind as one piece of the puzzle.

People tend to be drawn to rooms in lighter colors. If I remember correctly, the picture illustrating this was from a foyer looking through a second room on into a third. The foyer and far rooms were in medium values, the middle one in a medium pastel, all harmonizing, mild-contrast tones in a lovely, finely designed home. The inviting, attention-focusing space was the light one. Using this, your foyer might be a darker color, even a darker value of that blue perhaps, or a deeper gold or golden brown, and the rooms you want people to move toward...

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

The yellows (though I like yellow) don't work for me with your cabs and flooring... make them seem too orangey. So if you go opposite on the color wheel toward the blue gray... it works but won't make your dishes/pottery pop... it would more blend in. I like a balance of cool and warm colors/woods but I"m not sure about the wedgewood gray. So I'm thinking about a warmer gray/taupe color... I don't have a specific color name or brand in mind and I know monitors skew colors. We went yesterday to pick out colors to paint the exterior and trim and I had the colors picked out in 3 minutes once DH gave me his "color concepts". It's so much easier at the store.
    I tried to "explore" colors on the BM website. I came up with these and tried painting a room to compare colors. It's really hard to see.

ONe is Nantucket Gray, Hancock Gray, and Sag Harbor Gray I hope the web link works for you

Here is a link that might be useful: BM explore color

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Paint colour can be so difficult and only more so if your not altogether confident. I think with the strong mid to dark tone of the cabinets and the dark granite you want a nice rich but not dark colour. I don't like yellow and it seems completely wrong for the more modern lines of your kitchen (your lighting in particular has clean and simple lines that I'm guessing may reflect what appeals to you). I like the Wedgewood quite a bit but there are a lot of possibilities in colours with a lot of saturation that are not dark - something warmer than the gray might be nice. If you are trying to soften the more modern look of your kitchen I'm sure you could do that with accessories or furniture, I think trying to do it with the paint colour isn't going to work. The yellowy colours you are considering are way too washed out and seem much better suited to a more eclectic country kitchen than yours. I would go deeper than the floors but lighter than the cabinets in terms of registration.

The colour consulting thing sounds good and you don't have to take their advice. Good luck.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all! Between here and Home Decorations, I think the Cornsilk & Wedgewood are in a dead heat! So far, I'm still leaning toward the Cornsilk. However, I have had quite a few recommendations to look for either a grayer blue or taupe OR browner yellow.

The PR ceiling is 8' along with the Foyer. We actually had to take part of the molding off the mirror for it to fit in our PR with the lights. Sorry IglooChic, there's not enough headroom for a chandelier. I wanted a small one in our Foyer (also 8') but my DH strongly vetoed it b/c at 6'5" he did not want to be bumping his head on it!

This is almost as tough as picking out the cabinets and flooring!

RHome410, I am not offended and I think you're absolutely correct...the pastels do seem "safer".

Sdionnemoore, our PR vanity is KraftMaid (we ran out of money for cabinets so instead of an Omega cabinet we went with a KM!) The door style is "Piermont", the wood is maple, and sorry, but I can't remember the finish right now (chestnut maybe??)! The mirror is also from KM with the same finish.

Mom2lilenj, the pantry is Cornsilk!

David123, we're hiring someone to paint the kitchen b/c we don't think we'll be able to paint around all the crown molding without ruining it! So the kitchen, at least, we'd really like to settle on. The rest of the house, you're right, we can paint it over & over until we get it right! (Don't tell my DH I said that!!!)

IglooChic, I like your ideas for the PR...they actually are very similar to what I was thinking. My DH saw a TP holder w/room for extra rolls and a similar one for towels that are recessed into the wall...he likes the idea b/c they don't take up any space in the PR. I'm not sold on them b/c they remind me of the restrooms at work (although the ones he saw were wood, not SS). My KD nixed the idea of the TP stand saying they tip over all the time unless you get an expensive one...which I am very willing to do!

Don't you think that artwork all over the wall of a small room will make it look too busy or overwhelm it?

Not sure about the cooktop niche, but I'm thinking about it!

Hmmm...now that I think more about it, I think I might want something stronger in the kitchen....*sigh* decisions, decisions!

I think I will talk to a color consultant at BM and/or, if they do it, SW.

• dawnbc
    15 years ago

Just to clarify, the BM consultant came to my house and we chose colours together. She always gave me several choices for each room. We had just moved in but I had drapes and bedding etc to help steer the direction.

I really enjoyed it and I'm very happy with every colour we chose.

• annab6
    15 years ago

I didn't see anyone mention this, but are you planning to use any fabric? Curtains or shades for your windows in either the kitchen or the dining room? Any upholstery or rugs? If yes, it would be much easier to pick the fabric elements first and then pick the wall colors off the fabric. Or, if you are planning (or may be already have) a painting or other colorful art that would be in the dining room, that would help too. Sometimes the paint store can even scan your fabric or artwork and calculate the exact formula to match it. I've taken bedspreads, rugs, towels and tiles with me to BM and they have always been able to find a great color. If you paint first, you will have a hard time later trying to find fabrics that match the paint.

And one more suggestion, instead of a tiny wall area, use a large poster paper to try the color on. Paint two coats on the poster just like you would on the wall. Keep moving the poster to different walls in the room to see how different lighting conditions affect the color. For example, our house doesn't get a lot of natural light, so the color that looked perfect in the store usually looks way too dark. In that case I go back and ask them for half-strength or even a quarter-strength formula of the same color and often that does the trick.

Good luck!

• marilyn234
    15 years ago

I know what a hard decision picking the paint color is. I have been trying to do the same this week. I have cherry cabinets a little darker than yours with stainless steel applicances. My kitchen is very small but does get alot of light. I disagree with others saying that yellow and golden tones might not go with your cherry. I personally love these colors with cherry. So far this week I painted the one big wall in my kitchen SW Restrained gold, much too dark, next day painted it Blonde, hated it. That night primed again and next day painted it Napery which is a very light golden yellow and it was colorless. I buy the sample cans at Sherwin Williams for 4.95 and after work I will ,try another one. I do like your cornsilk of the 3 you post. I will let you know if I hit on any that look really nice with the cherry. One thing to consider is what do you think you will use on your backsplash when you do it. If your thinking Jerusalem gold likes Sharbs or a cream or tumbed marble which is sometimes pinkish, this is something to factor in when making your decision.

• lyno
    15 years ago

You mentioned that you won't be doing a tile BS for about a year. Do you have any idea what you want to use for the BS? Your tile choice could impact your paint color choice; and you probably won't need to repaint in just a year. I like the Wedgewood best with your cabinets, but would like to see it lean just a touch to blue vs the gray.

I love your kitchen!!

• beachbum
    15 years ago

I totally agree with annab6.
    If you have, or are buying rugs, drapes, upholstered furniture chose those things first! The paint is the backdrop to the expensive things. I mean even if you bought a leather sofa, you could spend more on the throw pillows than on the gallons of paint!
    Be sure you are picking the things that you love -- then choose a paint color that compliments that.

I love color in my home. I've painted my family room 3 times in the past 6 years....without changing my furniture just because I wanted a change. All three colors "worked" with my furniture and my house...they were all background colors in my drapes.
    You want to pick a house pallet, and a room pallet. That way your house flows and you can move things around in your home from room to room to freshen things up.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Ditto everything annab6 and beachbum said. Meanwhile, if you go over to the Gallery section of the decorating forum there are many different pics posted by members in ranges like greys, golds, greens, etc. Do you have any ideas yet for your BS--or at least a mood, style (Tuscan?) or color scheme you wish to use. Of the three I like Cornsilk best, though I'd prefer to see a new greenish/grey there. I'd look at some of the colors suggested by remodelelfa as well.

• simoneb
    15 years ago

Oh dear, I hope we aren't confusing you. Looks like us GWers are pretty mixed on your colors. Here's my 2 cents. I like both the Cornsilk and the Wedgewood, but like Cornsilk better. I think it depends on what you want in terms of feel. Yellows feel more "homey" and warm. Greys feel more modern. If it were me, I would go with Cornsilk. Then I would put wallpaper in the powder room that has the same yellow color in it so it will flow, but add some interest. Someone else mentioned this, but I like the idea of using a slightly different shade of yellow in your foyer. Good luck!

• bama12
    15 years ago

I think the Cornsilk would be really beautiful! It would be a good contrast with your darker cabinets and granite........Also will look pretty with your blue accents! What appliances are you using? Everything will be beautiful..GOOD JOB!!!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

A friend and I took a decorating course 2 winters ago and they stressed that paint should be something that gets picked later in the process but your kitchen + PR both have a lot of the fixed elements already in place so this seems like the right time to choose the paint. Worrying about the backsplash seems like a red herring to me - when you are choosing that if it means you need to change the paint then that's the way it goes but trying to pick the paint based on what you might pick as a backsplash a year from now seems like an impossible task.

Pulling a pallette from a rug or material is often helpful - my friend used a pallette from a small rug he bought - he used the colours but the rug itself never made it into the room. Material stores have great sample books you can go through - you can even check samples out to try to match paint colours to if you want (no need to incorporate the actual material).

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't get a chance to call BM or SW today (all day meeting!). I plan to call tomorrow.

As to BS and other items...right now I have no idea what I'm going to do for a BS...I waiver b/w tumbled w/AB diamonds and something very different (I do like nomorebluekitchen's ming green and favabeans5' fire & ice)

As to window treatments, etc., we don't have anything picked out yet. For the FR, we plan to furniture & carpet shop over the next week or so.....

Question: Do you think the black DR furniture would look OK with my kitchen? Yes, they're different rooms, but they are completely open to each other.

• mommyto4boys
    15 years ago

Have you considered a deeper color? I have americas heartland, barley & cornsilk in my home. I went with BM's concord ivory (not ivory by any means). We just love it with our cherry floors and cabinets.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Excuse the unfinished kitchen, we are getting closer since this picture. The true color is seen mostly above the cooktop, pantry area and above the window.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I really like the "America's Heartland". I think it's an ideal colour to start from. It would look wonderful on your walls, particularly if you were to lighten it up a shade with some white and use that for your doors and trim everywhere. You could then lighten THAT and use it on the ceilings. It's going to be subtle and inviting.

The cornsilk would be a wonderful accent wall behind your cooktop. (The geometric that you have worked out with your range hood and cabinets is excellent, particularly the opposing flare that comes from the crown moulding opening up and the hood opening down. The cabinets have a nice suspended look.)

I think you could have a lot of fun with your powder room. It is small enough that you could go completely over the top and get away with it. Dark walls/huge pendant light fixture/lots and lots of framed prints - (floor to ceiling)/ Brushed Nickel Toilet roll stand/ two huge corbelish shelves on either side of the mirror with tall candles in ornate candlesticks/ trash under the sink/wooden bookshelf behind the WC.

Things look wonderful so far !

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sailormann...do you mean to use the lightened color for trim in the whole house? We were planning on leaving the trim white...but that's something to think about. What about the doors, would they stay white or also be painted the same color as the trim?

• lyno
    15 years ago

Here is an attempt at photoshopping. The first picture is cornsilk, the second is the wedgewood gray, the third is my attempt at wedgewood blue (just for kicks), and the third is the shot of the floor tile & cabinet with a swatch of each beside it. I hope this helps so and I hope the colors come out matching your swatches. For the wedgewood blue (I'm calling it that), I pulled the blue from your dishes and lighted it and grayed it a bit.

Cornsilk
    {{gwi:2109463}}

Wedgewood Gray

Wedgewood Blue (maybe)

Floor and cabinet w swatches

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Lyno! The Cornsilk looks rather overwhelming in the picture...maybe it's my monitor? The Wedgewood Gray, OTOH, looks like a very very light gray...

I'm even more confused...

I took some pictures with a sample of the tile...

***** First, in daylight only:

Cornsilk:

Wedgewood Gray:

America's Heartland:

***** Now, daylight plus the undercabinet lights, recessed lights, and pendants (all on "full"):

Cornsilk:

Wedgewood Gray:

America's Heartland:

Does this change anyone's mind?

• lyno
    15 years ago

Sorry, Buehl, ignore my attempts! Your colors look softer than the photoshop came out (now I'd like to hide or delete them!). IMO, you can't go wrong with either the cornsilk or the wedgewood gray based on your photos, but with your dishes, I prefer the Wedgewood Gray. It could be my monitor but it looks like it has a blue cast to it which I like; the one toward the top (on my monitor) looks more gray to me.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No need to apologize Lyno...you did better than I could! I don't have PhotoShop and when I tried to use PaintShop it didn't work out very well...

• sailormann
    15 years ago

Buehl,

I was suggesting that you use the lightened "heartland" on the doors and their casings as well as the other trim, but the white would work also.

The tone on tone effect will offer a gentler, more expansive feeling, to my mind it's a little more urban looking.

The white option will emphasise the doorways, which is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a bit more cottage-y and has a down home charm.

Either way - you'll have a beautiful home.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Buehl, I have also been struggling with the *right* yellow for the kitchen. Although the Wedgewood is a beautiful colour, my natural preference is for yellow (I like the Cornsilk better). It seems that it evokes pretty strong feelings one way or another, as evidenced by the multitude of opinions you're getting.

If you do go the yellow route, I would echo what others have said and go with something bolder and richer. I'm considering BM Barley; you should also check out prettykitty's kitchen below (be sure to click through to the full album) as she has used beautiful rich colours throughout her home to great effect. Her kitchen yellow is BM Sulpher.

BM Coastal Path is a great colour; kind of a green-ey taupe. We've just painted the LR that colour (sorry no pics yet!) We did the wall leading up to the second floor in a dramatic colour - BM Buckhorn - and I love how it looks in both daylight and at night. Hard to tell in the pics - it's a deep mossy colour. In the bedroom, we used BM Covered Bridge; something like that might be fun in your PR.

Paint BIG swatches of colour and in several places, as light so dramatically affects how colour reads.

{{gwi:2109464}}

Some of our kitchen/foyer colour options. The one on the far left, which reads pretty neutral, is actually a saturated colour called "Plaster", and is the front runner. It's made by a company called Homestead Paints (they are painting our cabinets).

{{gwi:2109465}}

{{gwi:2109466}}

Two takes on BM Buckhorn in natural light

{{gwi:2109467}}

Our BM Covered Bridge BR

Good luck!!

Eliz

Here is a link that might be useful: Prettykitty's kitchen

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

If you are leaning towards yellow (cornsilk) and I personally love yellow kitchens, then I think you should broaden your yellow search and go with a slightly deeper tone. It could just be the monitor and you are seeing it in real life, but the cornsilk appears not quite deep enough with your rich cherry cabs and your countertops.

Your kitchen is beautiful btw.

• marybeth1
    15 years ago

buehl, there is a fun website by BM called www.myperfect color.com. It shows allot of different color combinations in the tones you are considering. It may help you visualize what they would look like in your home. You can also look up some of the other colors suggestions.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to "expand my horizons" on this color thing! In the last couple of days I've had several people recommend interior designers they've used...so I may also go that route. However, I like to do my research first and I greatly value advice I get here...I think everyone is very honest and not afraid to tell me something, even if you don't think I want to hear it!!! [I really do want honesty!!!]

Now, to decide whose house I like the best to decide which recommendations to pursue!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Buehl, a tip on using a decorator. They usually charge by the hour so try not to get into off topic conversations. I've done this a few times (couldn't help it, she's so nice) and paid for it! Also, while I've never actually used the colors my decorator has chosen, she's always given me interesting directions to consider which enabled me to finally choose colors I've been very happy with. Good luck. Btw, I like the blue-grey.

• msrose
    15 years ago

This may be a deeper color than what you want, but Newhomebuilder used Decatur Buff in her kitchen and her cabinet color is similar to yours.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: Newhomebuilder's kitchen

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Beuhl,

Have you considered posting your question and photos on the home decorating forum? The advise is free and there are some good professional and amateur decorators and designers over there that can be very helpful. I would try. Even if you pay a designer, at least you might be able to see what a couple of different professional, student and amateur designers would come up with.

Sue

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did post there as well...but I got many more responses here!

Who are the professionals & amateurs over there?

• crescent50
    15 years ago

HI buehl-
    I was wondering whether you made a decision yet? Your kitchen is beautiful and I'm excited to see which color you went with.

• ramses_2
    15 years ago

Just a small warning, what you see may not be what others are seeing on their monitor. I've long had people on the board tell me they love my red and black kitchen....in fact it's very much amber and green. I don't see the orangey tones in the cabinets with the Cornsilk at all...cabinet tones stayed exactly the same with the Wedgewood...with Wedgewood looking decidedly cooler.

Have you thought about something browner? We went with a Ralph Lauren color:

a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/ramses_2/?action=view&current=100_3779.jpg"; target="_blank">

• sturdy
    15 years ago

Ramses 2...what RL color did you use? It looks like it could be the RL color I was thinking of using. We have similar cabinets and I need wall color and floor color picked soon. Is your floor Travertine? if so, what color? I am torn between wood and travertine.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

I am sorry I didn't see your question when it posted, but I can't remember the names of the people there who are professionals. You might ask, but I read references to their occupations a few times when I was reading those post for a period of time.

Sue

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ramses, but my DH vetoed anything brown or tan immediately...he doesn't like brown walls. I know, there are different kinds of browns and tans, but at this point I don't want to argue over, I mean discuss :-), it anymore. I was also thinking of a gray, but thought that would be too close to the black/white I'm known for. I want color!

So, we decided to go with the Cornsilk in the Kitchen & DR and Wedgewood Gray in the FR and, I think, the LR. My DH is out buying the paint as I type!

The color opinions here & on the Home Decorating Forum were split about equally...half for Cornsilk/half for Wedgewood. We decided to go w/our original plans b/c, as David123 said, it's easy enough to change it if we don't like it...or if after this foray into color I get bolder and want deeper/different colors! I'm taking baby steps here...!

BTW...I did call a couple of BM stores near us and neither had color consultants any more other than the store staff. They both told me they discontinued the consultants...didn't really get a good answer why.

So, what does everyone think about

• A TP holder w/room for extra rolls and a similar one for towels that are recessed into the wall
      OR

• A stand for TP in the corner in front of the toilet & towel rack for towel hung over the toilet
      OR

• A TP holder mounted on the wall in front of the toilet (sides are too tight) and a towel rack above it
      OR

• Something else all together?

• lyno
    15 years ago

I like the idea of the TP holder mounted on the wall in front of the toilet (as long as little people can reach it), but I wouldn't put the towel bar above it. I see a person with dripping hands turning around and dripping on your floor & TP while they are reaching for the towel. Can you put a ring towel holder for hand towels on the left side of the sink on the wall? That is where it is at in my DD's powder room, her PR is about the same layout. I couldn't tell if that was something electrical on the wall; wouldn't want a wet towel and electricity together, so that may not be a good solution. Maybe on that wall, but in the space behind the door, then you could have a regular towel bar (vs the ring I mentioned :).

Will you have any art work hanging in the PR? If so, you might think about where it would be before you hang the towel bar. Your beatiful black fixtures in there begs for some dramatic colorful & black framed poster or painting or even a terrific framed photo. That might help you choose a paint color in there, too. As people walk by when the door is open or when they enter the powder room that is the wall they'll see first. You might also want some interesting artwork on the wall opposite the toilet as there will be times that wall has a "captive audience" - LOL.

• dollfanz
    15 years ago

Two wonderful colors you will love. One is by Sherwin Williams but it is an old color made by Duron. SW now owns Duron but has the formula. It is called Plantation Beige. You just have to tell them it was a Duron paint. Decorators have been using this color for years. I have it in my kitchen. It is quite warm.
    The other is made by Freshaire Choice. This one is my absolute favorite. It's called "Midsummer Gold." Home Depot sells this one.

Don't be fooled by the name. It is a stunning color only a little deeper than Plantation beige. The two together look terrific. Even in adjacent rooms.

I will attach pics tomorrow. Although you know how they look on a computer. It's better to get samples.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor