Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

Help me choose where to put shelf above the cooktop

scrappy25
9 years ago

I want to put 4 inch deep stainless shelf above my induction cooktop , below the hood. My countertop is bumped out so that the cooktop starts 5 inches from the back wall, so that there will be no interference with the pots and pans while cooking. My hood is bumped out also. This shelf will store my frequently used oils and seasonings. I tried to draw lines of possible locations. Please tell me what you would prefer considering both practicality and visual impact.

This is the shelf from Pottery Barn . One shelf exactly fits under the 36 inch hood. Another 24 inch shelf cut in half can flank the 36 inch shelf to fill in the space to the side corbels. The backsplash will be tiled with a light green and white mosaic tile (sunflower ming green thassos). There are some cute spice jars that can fit on the shelf also.

Let me know what you think would work and look best. I think I have a preference but would like others' opinions.

A. 36" single

B. 24" double

I am getting better with the finger drawn lines, LOL.

C. 24" higher

D 36" lower
{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by scrappy25 on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 8:31

Comments (15)

• practigal
    9 years ago

The sample picture shows to equal length shelves and they look quite attractive together. Why aren't you considering that for the space? To me that's what would look best.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh, I like that idea! I had not thought of that.I edited my original post to reflect that choice. thanks

This post was edited by scrappy25 on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 8:33

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I would do 'A'--that's where mine was located at the last house. The cabinet sides serve nicely as ends to prevent stuff from getting knocked of the end of shelf.

Mine was always grubby & I had to clean it a lot...but it was really handy, too. I'll probably do another one when I get around to it.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

A

I like the corbels that you have and I think they lose their statement if you bring the shelves to meet them.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks. I edited the original post (keeping the "A" unchanged) to narrow the choices and am hoping for additional opinions as well.

• practigal
    9 years ago

C is probably the best choice as it is less to clean and appears to be further from the heat source. I like the look of b or c...but the other member who said it is nice to have an end so stuff doesn't slide off has a good point depending upon what you are putting there. Also there is not much separation between the shelves so you will need to measure the intended contents and make sure it will be worth your while to commit to cleaning two shelves.

• carree
    9 years ago

It is a laudable idea and the shelve location options all seem to work but...aren't you concerned about the heat from cooking shortening the shelf life of whatever spices or oils you store there.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cooktop is induction, so the only heat would be coming from the cooking ingredients. I will mainly be using the middle and front burners.I would probably only put up the things that I use every day. My countertop is increased in depth, so that the cooktop is located forward to where the shelf would be.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Considering you have undercabinet shelves with corbels, wide and footed moldings at the base of your cabinets, a ceiling with variable heights and other touches, I think your kitchen looks very nice and just busy enough. I think the shelves above the stove take it all a step too far. Like a woman wearing too much jewelry. Each piece may be lovely but you don't know where to look so you don't appreciate any of it.

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks funkycamper, the purpose of the over cooktop shelf is to get the often used ingredients off the countertop in a convenient location. I think that will look bettere than leaving them on the counter where they will undoubtedly be otherwise. I do hear what you are saying though and think that 2 shelves are too many. Looks like A or D may be my best choices. The deciding factor is probably the height of the bottles to go there (as practigal mentioned)- everything is packed up right now. I will have to buy some to see what that looks like.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I like c a lot! Perfect. Do you need two shelves?

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a photo from houzz that is somewhat like your kitchen. However, they have the shelf quite higher.

I guess you have to ask yourself what is the best location for convenience to access the items on your shelf? I am only 5'2, so I would likely use the c option you posted. If you are taller the location in the photo looks quite lovely and would probably be convenient for a taller (or just average height individual).

• scorpio_bafh
    9 years ago

Hi Scrappy,
    Not an answer or suggestion to your question but....
    Are you not afraid to drop someday one of the potteries on the cooktop? The wife of a friend of mine did that, wrecked the glass top, it was an older model and a very expensive repair so they bought a new one. Just a thought about the weak side of a very nice looking top.
    Induction cooking is great isn't it ?

This post was edited by scorpio_bafh on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 6:46

• auntie_ellen boston
    9 years ago

I would also be afraid (terrified!) of dropping something on my glass cooktop. I have a Bosch 800 induction and absolutely love it. I have a raised area behind it on my island and always walk over to the other side of the island to take my flower vases, etc. off of it, rather than carrying them over the surface. I think the shelves work better with non glass cooktops, IMO. Your kitchen is beautiful!

• scrappy25
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Really good points about dropping items on the glass surface, I had not thought of that. I think I will just store salt pepper and small spices on one shelf and keep the oil and sauces on the 5 inch counter space behind the cooktop. Thanks for your insights.

Thanks Auntie Ellen, it is great to see everything coming together after. 5 years of planning. Still have a little ways to go before a formal reveal.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler