Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Week 25: What was old is new again.

CEFreeman
9 years ago

On this cold and gray day... I'm going to go pick up decking from Freecycle.

Never a dull moment, right? :)
I keep telling myself I shouldn't be so lazy. That I should get something done. Then I go back and read a few Week posts and realize I'm not lazy by any scope of the imagination. However, I do ... rest ... frequently. But I keep moving forward.

So today, lumber it is.
What will I build? Who knows?

The lumber I used to build my infamous new raised bed, I picked up probably 2 years ago from a reuse center. It sat and waited for me (sadly, in my front yard) and today it's again a useful member of society. This decking I'm getting might continue to move my back porch ceiling forward. I dunno.

Today's question(s).
Have you repurposed anything that you're particularly happy with? Something that made your space great!?
Have you donated things you know someone such as I will really appreciate?
Have you wondered what the heck to do with something that was "too good" to throw away?
Have you wondered how to get that Gawd-awful heirloom out of your basement, but knew you just couldn't set it on the curb?
(Here's a big one:)
Have you refinished, stripped, painted, or rebuilt something into something you now use all the time?
Or, has someone you know taken a piece or materials
and done just that?
Does something make you particularly proud? Or relieved?

Or could you not give a rat's bummy and get something new, exactly as you wanted it?

Ok. Espresso. Reese's Cups. Empty the truck of my Flagstone find and get on the road. YEAH!
Have a fabulous week.

Comments (42)

• Lutha
    9 years ago

My favorites:
    Using broken concrete from our driveway and patio. I created a walkway though my raised beds area in the backyard. Also, passageways for pedestrians/getting out of the car in my "hell strips" in the front yard. It looks great with thyme planted between the pieces that were placed together like a puzzle. The picture is shortly after planting...it has filled in beautifully!

Using sections of old iron fencing as a trellis for sweet peas or other vertical climbers, and creating another wood/iron fence in the backyard.

Sometimes I drive my better half crazy, but I like the challenge and it just makes sense to keep it out of the landfill.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

When we remodeled our kitchen last summer, I gave our old fridge to a friend for his lake cabin. The old stove went on the curb, along with the instruction manual and a sign that said "I'm free - and I work!" It was gone in about 3 days. I would not have been happy having working appliances going to the landfill.

Over the summer I posted pics of the dining room table I refinished - and I LOVE it!

My favorite - I had a doll dress made from my wedding gown this year (the dress has been taking up closet space for 27 years).

The original:

And now:

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

Like annkh, when we began our remodel last summer, we gave our stove to our friends b/c we are putting in a larger size range than we had previously. And when our friends took their old stove out prior to bringing in their now new one, their neighbors took their old gas stove b/c they had an electric one that had one burner that didn't work, and they were looking to get a new stove, but wanted gas. So three happy families!

We also fixed (years ago) the drawer slides on the dresser I had as a kid. Then we let our dd choose new paint colors and drawer pulls, and it has been her dresser for most of her life.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lutha, that's a great idea! I'll bet it looks nicely aged. :)

Annkh, that little dress is lovely. I still think that is a wonderful idea.

Malabacat, that's quite a chain of events. And everyone's cooking away! :)

It's coooooold here today, and it's not even winter yet. Picked up my lumber. Lots of treated stuff. I think I' going to build a big potting bench to get my plant stuff off my first porch. I love free when it's good stuff!

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Things that are done...

- Big Ass Fan is installed
    - PH5 light over the breakfast table is installed
    - Front yard landscaping is de-ghetto'd. Still gotta find somebody that can redo it though.
    - Last cost of spar varnish is applied to the outward facing side of the new front door

After work I need to stain the inside face of the front door, and it would probably be a good idea to cut the filler strips that will hold in the glass too because they also need to be stained and varnished.

The evaporator coil on the HVAC system that is directly above the kitchen (constructionland) is probably horribly dirty. I noticed that heat pump performance has been terrible so I'll clean it this afternoon and wait a day before calling someone. Fun times.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

We had a set of office furniture that dominated our family room. I broke up the set. I'm using the desk as a sewing machine table. There's also a file cabinet (now in a closet with the printer on it) a printer stand and corner table (now acting as bedside tables) and a small desk being used as a table in my front hall. With the exception of the desk and file cabinet I stained the rest of the pieces with gel stain and added new knobs.

Here's the desk (the one on the left)

Here's the stained small desk now in the hall:

See that rug in the living room? $60 at BJs. We put it down to protect the floor because that was where we stored our appliances and where our new cabinets were delivered during the kitchen remodel. Yesterday I bought this rug for the space, it's being delivered the 10th.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Busy busy. Haven't caught up. Stressed about getting ready for Costa Rica. This is my last free weekend. Progress report grades are due Tuesday. Have to prep for sub. Have to make sure the house is in a place where it won't be un-liveable when I return (and DH is planning to have poker next Saturday after dropping me off at the airport, so even my bathroom needs to be company ready when I leave...ugh).

My best re-purposed thing I can think of was inspired by Christina's office-set post. I did some freshening of my office last spring. Like most things, I did a half-a$$ job and got on to some other project. But I increased my desk size by adding a couple more pieces (IKEA) and got the printer and scanner off my desk. I saw all the little carts at IKEA and elsewhere that were really expensive. Then I realized all I needed was a rolling platform. I got a couple moving dollies from Harbor Freight. I think they were $12 each. And...voila!

The guy who's building the canopy (or whatever) for our pendants stopped by last Wednesday. He's going to install it/them on Tuesday evening! THIS...I'm excited about. There is still a little trim to install, but this is the last big visual impact and functional thing.

Speaking of potting benches...I have an old kitchen 'island' table thing in my breezeway as my potting bench. It just ends up being a junk collector. When FIL was going to be gardening more, we talked about moving it to the side of the garage (there's an okay area to work over there, shaded by a nice magnolia tree, on concrete). I haven't done it because: a) it's still buried in crap, b) I don't know that I want it over there both because when it IS clean, it's a better place to be AND it can look nice. The drawers don't really open and close anymore, so I need to do something with the slides if I plan to use it. But it's a good repurposed piece. If I moved it, I'd have to coat it with something, it'd be uncovered. I still should, but in our weather, in the covered breezeway it's not bad as is. But yeah, that should be a good project to clean and function it up over one of our breaks before next summer.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Christina222 - love the new area rug! I will be looking forward to pictures of it in place.

Christine - don't you love freecycle? Today's listing which caught my eye was for an enclosed 12' trampoline, with safety net. Was tempted and know the kids would love it, but sheesh, where do you put the thing?

Linked is the desk which I bought at a garage sale for ? $15 ? almost 10 years ago, and which I meticulously painted to match a favorite planter, for DD. It's a tad bowed, but has served her well. Time to freecycle this item next....

One more 'old is new' item - I love my Canon G12, but hate the scratches which end up on the lens (known issue). I purchased a replacement lens on Ebay ($60 or so) and DH spent 3 or so hours yesterday swapping them out yesterday. (My hero!). So now I can start using my camera again and I also know why Canon charges $175 to do this themselves (incredible the number of tiny screws and components which make up the camera).

Schicksal - you have a Big Ass fan? Lucky!!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

Ooh, that painted desk is lovely! You did a great job painting it.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

We purchased several hand-crafted pieces from a friend when I moved into my current house 12 yrs ago. They were made by my friend's high school wood shop teacher circa 1950-60. We desperately needed storage in our cramped kitchen and used these in the interim. They've resided in the garage since last November when we started our remodel. DH wants his spot in the garage back and told me if I don't sell or give them away he's going to burn them. ((No way!))

They are a simple design and solid cherry. I'm placing them on Craigslist tomorrow to find them a new home and hope to sell quickly. Any advice on how to price?

• momfromthenorth
    9 years ago

I'm having heart failure at the thought of those two lovely pieces being burned. I would take them off your hands in flash!

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

We frequently put things out by the end of our driveway with a "free" sign such as a well loved grill and a dehumidifier. I cannot throw things away if they have life left. They are usually gone within 24-48 hours. When we remodeled our kitchen several years ago, we sold our old cabinets on Ebay. I watch some of the remodeling programs on HGTV and it kills me when they just rip out and demolish perfectly good cabinets just because they are "dated". We sent our old fridge and stove to the family cabin and donated our old washer and dryer to a local charity. We relocated all our existing plants (roses, peonies, viburnum) to reuse in our new landscaping plan. I always loved the fabric on my Mother's dining room chairs. When she redecorated I used it to make cushions for my family room. Still love it and it reminds me of happy meals at her house. Currently contemplating a plan to rework a glider which languished in the basement of a friend's mom.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So.
    I've finally found a piece that Citristrip needed 2 coats to clean.

I'm stripping 4 antique corbels. They were never stained nor sealed, which made the oil paint sink way into the grain. Oh, my.

I also learned that with oil paint, you cannot let the stuff dry and try to scrape it off. Well, you can scrape a layer off, but subsequent layers can turn into little balls of sticky ... stuff. Like paint buggers. (Sorry!) A 2nd coat rehydrated the Citristrip and they came off, but what a mess.

I'll try for pictures when I get them clean. I'm going to antique darker antique them, so I'm not worried about white in the grain. They're kinda cool.

I did nothing today.

OB2B, that paint job is so sweet!
    And Christina, that furniture is indeed lovely. Simple, sturdy and meant to stand the test of time. Don't let it go for too little!
    And Whippiechick, I love gliders. I would like to make one for my front porch.

Wine and Citristrip (after dessert Reese's cups) and Sleepy Hollow.
    I saw an ad for the season's premier a few weeks ago. Kind of an interview thing. They Ichabod Crane guy said, "And there will be plenty of scenes with me running through the woods, flicking my hair. What more could one want?"
    Well.. I can't think of anything more, my own self! :)

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Christine you crack me up! Did trick or treaters get any Reese's or did you pick them out. I picked them out but then when I got home I still had 3/4 of a bowl of candy out front. A cold, windy, wet miserable Halloween.

Lutha, those flagstones look cool!

I have a "dresser" or sideboard as I use it for, that I rescued and stained, but I want to strip it and do something else with it. I don't know what yet.

My yard is covered in leaves. I worked the weekend and I'll be working through until Friday at 9pm. Tues/Wed are normally my days off but I'm on the scheduling committee and they are tasking us with making a new schedule, so I'll be doing that tomorrow and I'm on a course on Wednesday. I'm just going to document the time and take it off at a later date. Hopefully on my next set of days off it's not super freezing and windy and we can make some leaf piles and jump in them before mulching them all up.

Have a good week everyone!

• brightm
    9 years ago

At one point, in the 3+ months since the electrical was done, I meant to have someone check the wiring and show me that the wiring for the pendants/3 way switch would work, etc. You know, before I signed off that the job was done...wait, the HD GC did that for me. Anyway, I didn't.

Had the canopy and pendants installed and I didn't think about checking that again until the moment they had it suspended with levers. And...it doesn't work.

It could be the wiring of the pendants together or the pendants to the wires that were coming out of the ceiling, but my money is on the HD GC end screwing it up.

It looks awesome! But it'd be really nice if it'd light up. The wood worker guy who made and installed it is working through our local GC. He'll have the GC call us tomorrow to decide what to do next. Kicking myself all over the place. But of COURSE it wouldn't be easy.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Oh my! I just realized I had not checked in since Sunday. Work has been a bear. 14 hours yesterday. My bookshelf is just sitting in the shop, although tonight I did get the gelcoat stain applied.

I'm starting to walk again. Told the wife that I will lose 20 lbs by next spring or die trying. I'm not overweight but I hate packing around the extra weight and feeling tired all the time. Besides my clothes are starting to not fit.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Nothing house wise has been done by me, though my Dad has been hard at work removing brick on the area we are expanding into to build the future MIL quarters.
    I've spent the past few days vetting candidates for current political offices. I (at least feel like I'm in the minority here) in that I COMPLETELY ignore their ads/smear campaigns and focus on their ACTUAL voting record and campaign contribution list to determine their true stance.

I'm feeling like Stan from South Park, my choice is between douche and turd sandwich. Bleh....elections generally leave me feeling down.

Sorry to be so off-topic today but its all I have on my mind.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

You could join us... vote your conscience and go almost entirely 3rd party. It has the drawback of basically never winning again but at least you feel a bit better about it.

Yesterday I was up in the attic (again) to switch the fan blower speed to medium to try and make heat pump #1 as effective as #2. This afternoon I need to go up there... again... and have yet another look around. According to the Ecobee whenever that system turns on the air temperature does not improve, but I know that the air temperature at the registers is in the low 80s and the compressor is running so the system is doing *something.* Performance isn't great when the secondary (electric) heater kicks in either, which runs in addition to the heat pump. Air rises to the mid 90s at the registers. Air flow is great and I cleaned the A coil thoroughly two days ago.

I think there may be a massive leak in a return duct and it's drawing in cold air from the attic. If it were a problem with the heat pump I think the electric+heat pump would be putting out air that's warmer than it is. Also that would explain some unusual debris I found on the coil. That's today's theory anyway. Maybe tomorrow I'll have another one.

Other than that and staining the inside of the new front door I've done nothing besides blowing out the vent duct for the dryer with a leaf blower. At some point there was a problem with the water lines underneath the raised floor in the dining room that lead to the washing machine so some of the (formerly exterior) brick was broken out to make repairs. Since I was already back there to mess with the vent and I'm just staring at the hole into the small void below the dining room I decided to have a peek. I've already looked at it from the kitchen side and found some awesome '70s linoleum so I assumed that's what I'd see from this side too but that wasn't the case. This time I found some old 9x9 vinyl asbestos tiles that must have been the original floor. They popped right up and I took a couple with me. It gives me some food for thought when it comes time to redo the dining room now that I know there's old petroleum based cutback down there. There are ways to deal with it though.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Cal_quail - those look fabulous!! Sorry about the wiring issue.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

My new rug was on my porch when I got home today! Turns out a 9x12 wool rug weighs about a hundred pounds. Got the old rug and pad up and the new ones down, which involved moving some heavy furniture. Then moved some more furniture and got the old rug down in the family room, where it will live until I can get a rug for in there.

I'm really happy with the new rug. Looks nice and manages to go with the blue chairs, terra cotta floor and greige paint. So nice to finally have a room nearly done!

This post was edited by Christina222 on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 20:39

• deeebert
    9 years ago

Christina222- Really lovely

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Christina, it looks so pretty!!

Cal-Quail, almost time for Costa Rica!! Sucks about your lights but they look gorgeous! I love the wooden piece they are hanging from.

I have a question. Do people ever put motion sensor lights inside their house? I have a light at the landing where we enter the house through the back door. It is also the hallway going downstairs to the basement. The boys are constantly forgetting to turn it off. I'd like to put a motion light in there so it comes on and turns off automatically. Anyone done that? Is there a particular brand that might be worthwhile? Of course, The fixture is ridiculously high and I don't know how I'd even change the lightbulb in the current fixture let alone install a new fixture. It's in an L-shaped stairwell. I guess I could put my ladder almost as tall as it would go and have it on landing at the short end of the L leaning against the wall.

Anyway, if you have a good idea or suggestion, that would be great. I don't think I can put in a two way switch without a lot of screwing around. The switch at the bottom of the stairs only works for the basement lights. Which are fluorescent and don't work terribly well. I'll have to shut the power off one time and see if there is a junction box above those and I can take it down and put in a regular fixture.

I've worked all week and haven't had a chance to get to my leaves. Hopefully this weekend.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Gosh -almost the end of the week and haven't chimed in.
    Our old cabinets went to the GC - he re-uses them to instal kitchens for people who can't afford cabinets.
    More recently I sold a couple of my dads lenses on eBay and currently selling a calculator. Amazing what people will buy.
    I also donated my GMs old sewing machine to the PTO store (I had to fire habitat for no show)

OldBat - you never cease to amaze me!

Christina- a bit of weight training! Looks great!

BB - if you have a consignment shop around- stop by to see pricing. Definitely sell those beautiful pieces!

Cal- bummer

Cal - might sneak into your suitcase!

MG- I put a motion sensor in our pantry. I want to put one in our garage as well but a different brand as the pantry makes a loud click. The sensor is in the switch and not the bulb.
    All the hostels in Spain use motion sensor lights in the hallways.

BAF- big ass fan
    BAT big ass truck
    BAMR- car talk for big assed moon roof

That's all my brain can remember.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Motion sensors?! OMG yes. I have the all over. They're not the fixture, they're the switch. You can set how long they're on, too. My bathroom is 5 minutes. My laundry room is 15. A wave of the hand turns it back on if I'm forced to stay in there longer.

The bathrooms in a DC office building had them and I thought it brilliant. Mine aren't Lutron, they're the other residential maker. Square.

Laundry. Both bathroom. Closets. Hallways. Garage. Attic.
    Outside, I have motion sensors that are also on a timer (somehow. Great mystery of life.)

They are fabulous. When I first moved here, ex-POC-DH wanted a light on in every room. The solution was motion sensors. I dropped my average bill by $35 a month the first year.

Don't put them in rooms where you'll be sitting still. Bedrooms, dens studies, places like that. It'd be nice for kids' bedrooms, but if they tend to go off they're on the computer or holding still.

Fluorescent lights. I'm uncertain as to whether or not they'll work with them. I'm sure they should. They do NOT work with CFLs! For some reason, they flicker, even when there isn't supposed to be a circuit. Plus, they can burn out the socket. Don't ask me how I know.

So! This week. I've started on a huge potting bench. Once again I'm using recycled materials I got on Freecycle, reuse centers, etc. I'm not spending a cent. I'll keep you posted on my success. Already made a little bench, though.

Cal, have a fantastic time. Keep to the bottled water. Don't ask me how I know.

Going to bed now! :)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Yep, LOVE my lutron motion sensor switch in my pantry. Comes on automatically and turns off after 5 minutes of no motion. I usually override it and push the button to turn it off but if I forget to, it goes off on its own. I linked it at the bottom.

I also have security lights on the outside of my house that are dawn to dusk lights. They stay on, at a low power unless they detect motion then they slowly power up. I got them at Lowes for 35 a piece. I can turn off the dawn to dusk feature, my MIL has it turned off unless they detect motion but I like having the outside lit up a bit to discourage prowlers.

Here is a link that might be useful: motion switch

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Texas_Gem, that's what my outside lights do.

I remembered my brand, which is Cooper. I chose them simply based upon aesthetics. But I love 'em.

I, too, have them in the pantry. I forgot the mudroom, too.

These, + my solar panels & water system have really fought the battle against the holes in my ceiling and drafty, unfinished house. Every year, they get closer to winning!

Oh - and I found an excellent, dimmable LED at BJ's. Dimmable CFLs are 1) ugly, 2) stupid, and 3) dim = off. At least in my experience. I'm glad to find the LEDs, because my alternative for my dimmers (again, all over) were incandescents. I'm thinking of buying a ton of those candle tipped ones, since they'll stop making stuff soon....

• brightm
    9 years ago

Talked to local GC today AND the actual electrician (skirted that GC, I remembered the name of the electrician's company) and they're going to coordinate coming together to get it fixed. They'll coordinate with MIL so maybe it'll be done when I get home. :)

I leave Saturday (redeye). I arranged a shuttle/van. DH was going to take me WAY too early due to his plans that night. I decided it was better for me to be in control of the time I leave. Or more specifically, have an appointment when I HAVE to be ready to go. (I'm a last-minute crammer re: packing).

Christina - Love the rug! You're right it looks so nice with the chairs! I know how hard it is to deal with different blues. It looks great.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I have been slowly replacing the 21 year old security lights on the outside with the new ones, usually one per paycheck, so I happened to still have the box from the last one I purchased.

They are Secure Home 240 degree detection. I linked them below.

CEF- glad to see I'm not the only one buying up incandecent bulbs. I KNOW the new ones are more energy efficient and will save me money in the long run but frankly, I can't afford to spend 500+ JUST to switch the bulbs in my house. I've tried mixed bulbs, I.e. incandescent plus CFL or LED but the color of each bulb is so different it throws me off.

I'm used to designing and decorating around an incandescent bulb. Can they make a CFL/LED that just says "looks exactly like an old light bulb"??? Because I would BUY those in a heart beat.

Guess I'm too old school. The " warmth" or "coolness" put off by bulbs these days throws everything off which is why I'm so hesitant to switch.

Schick- I didn't vote entirely 3rd party but that is basically what I do. I look at each candidates records and then my vote looks something like, dem, dem, repub, repub, lib, lib, etc.

So some of my candidates won (given the state I live in, can you guess which ones?!?!?) and most of them lost but at least, I hope, those in power see that a certain number of their constituents aren't happy with the status quo.

Totally not house related but tonight I went by my grandads house to collect all the grapes off of his grape vine to make "grape crack" as my friends and family call it.

Everyone is Jonesing this year b/c last years grape crop got killed off by a late season freeze.

According to my friends and family, once you taste my grape jelly, you NEVER go back. Given that last years grape crop was ruined, I've got people hounding me who haven't had decent jelly in almost 2 years.

So, looks like my weekend plans are set, turning those tasty grapes into out of this world jelly. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: outside lights

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Texas- does your Lurton click on. Mine does but it might be because it is designed for all types of bulbs including LED.

CEF - thanks! You are amazing! BTW - where is the best place to snag flagstone? I want to slow dowm my pacasandra(so) and put in some garden paths. Missed an opportunity for broken cement when many of our neighbors replaced their driveways.

Texas - are those spotlights? Do critters trigger them?

I want some for our front lights(not spots) and like the low level dusk to dawn with motion.

I will check out a few links from above

Forgot - my niece is taking my GMs old secretary.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

You guys are the best! Okay, so I have one switch for the light I want to be motion sensor. It's a single rocker on a 3 rocker panel, which is not the nice decora switches because you can't get those with spots on both sides for 3/4 wires for each switch. Does that make sense? When I open the switch box on the wall the three rockers are separate single switches, not one all connected with three rockers, but the panel cover has three holes. I'll probably have to take a photo so you can see what I mean. Anyway, the switch at the bottom of the stairs does not operate the light I want to be motion sense; it operates the basement lights. Does it matter if only the top switch is motion sense as long as it's turned on? When someone goes on the stairs at the bottom will the light still go on? I can use my regular fixture that is there and just change the light switch? My limited electrical skills will be challenged! I might need to call in some reinforcements! LOL

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I completed finishing the inside of the new front door yesterday afternoon. After work I install the windows and if I'm lucky I will also trim the door to fit. Mortising in the hinges and drilling for the lock and doorknob might take a while so that will probably be a tomorrow thing.

I also put the first coat of varnish on the top pantry shelf. I never completed all five shelves because after I did four other things like flooring, cabinets and important things came along but once this last shelf is in I can start wiring up the LED lighting in there. LED lighting and the toe kick are all that are holding up the kitchen from being 100% complete besides waiting on the pantry doors to arrive.

Not kitchen related but I've also been cleaning up some of the neglected areas. Work around the house non stop began nearly two years ago and this has been the first chance I've had to bring a bit of sanity back to the garage and den. Can't wait until those areas aren't a huge embarrassment anymore.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Schick - Amen! to that. I am trying to take back the house but have trouble letting go of things. So far, I have taken about 50 bags to donation, reuse, and the library and more to tackle.
    My SIL goes through like a tornado - but gets rid of things that have sentimental meaning or value.
    I am almost to the point that I can invite peeps over again.

MG - not sure about Canadian codes - but I have Decora switches for 3 and 4 position lights. The key is only one spot can dim the lights so you have to find the master switch.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, I've been working on this potting bench. It seems I cannot do anything small. Cook. Build. Acquire. Go figure. I'll post pictures when I'm further along. So far, it's 6'2" tall x 7'3" wide and will fit at the end of my porch where it'll also act as a bannister for the 4' drop.

I also realized that my 24' raised bed, my little garden bench, and this potting bench are all made of materials I already have. I've spent $6.00 for a bale of hay for the raised bed lasagna garden, but the lumber & screws? All mine. If I paint this stuff, I even have that. Yeah for me! Ye Great Hoarder-ess of Building Materials!

It's SO windy today, though, I had to stop. It's a beautiful day, but the wind is blowing me sideways.

That led me to my next idea. (I need to build some more raised beds to keep these guys from driving across the entire lawn, but I'm jumping around.)

I'm trying to figure out how to make a moon gate between two gardens. I'd need it to have at least a 36" open base to walk through, and like it to be at least 8' tall. At the base, I could actually bury the bottom of something in a circle if leaving it open turned out not to be an option.

Now, building it myself precludes stone and brick. Wood would be iffy for me. I have no idea how to work metal.

I have it in my head that I could use to lengths of some kind of flexible conduit running side by side, but have no idea if such a thing exists. I'd have to bridge the two circles, but that's not as difficult as finding the right material.

Here's my inspiration:
    {{gwi:2776}}

Any ideas for me?

Also, a2gemini, go to a nursery that does hardscapes, too. As to see their junk pile. Pieces of stuff left over from jobs they (are to lazy to) put away in usually a pile. Some places sell them at regular price, but some places just want the junk out of the way. That's where I jump in!

Christina22, love the rug. Soft, soft blue. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: A Pinterest search of beautiful examples.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I'm not terribly sentimental, just busy. Mostly a ton of tools and things you use to rebuild a house scattered all over, plus materials I removed that need to go to Habitat. Tool storage is pretty bad so it's hard to find a place for things to belong.

On top of that I have an entire kitchen worth of cabinets + double bathroom vanity, two sinks and a microwave that need to go to Habitat. And various pieces of lumber that are ready for the next project.

The estimate came in for the house with the crushed roof. Since I don't have that much anyway and it's what the attorney is there for (to beat on the insurance companies) to me it's just a measure of what all those idiots broke. It's about $250K for things that we know they broke, before dealing with FEMA, the Board of Architecture or any of the other things that turn up damaged once a wall or floor is opened up. All from someone not following instructions.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

CEF - thanks - I will call the landscaper who helped us jump start our garden a few years back. I did get some remnants from him the first year but was chicken to call again. You gave me the courage to do so.

Schick - Zowie!!! I have to go back to find the history on your catastrophe

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I forgot to tell you.
    This week I got 4 Japanese maples in the ground, and 2 repotted. This is huge for me.

Planted after 10 years or so in pots:
    'Nicholsonii'
    'Sherwood Flame'
    Paperbark maple
    'Garnet'

All of these turn scarlet in my yard in the fall, and spring colors are equally as unusual.

I have an 'Omuryama' in the yard right now, that is a brilliant red, with orange tones in it. He's held his leaves through yesterday's up-to 30 mile winds.

That's all folks!

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Schicksal- you have a big ass fan AND a PH5?!!! Those are both on my list. Pics, please!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Have enjoyed reading this thread for months, and I'm very impressed with all you energetic folks! The title "what's old is new again" really struck a chord with me this week, as I just finished a backyard freshen up, and the last time I did a major re landscape job was in 1991. Our empty nest yard had become a bit overgrown and ragged looking from some "deferred maintenance" (neglect;)
    Didn't do a major this time, but thinned out a lot of old growth, and added two broken concrete raised planters, a couple of pepper trees, and a bunch of new plantings. We're in So. Cal. where water is basically non existent, during one of the worst droughts in history, so our plantings may look strange to a lot of you in the rest of the country ;) Chris

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Another shot...

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

One of the new planters.
    I built the broken concrete retaining wall back in '91

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Looking back in from the rear gate. I built the trellis out of some redwood I saved from the old deck I tore out which I had built in '91. I also built the little broken concrete patio back in '91

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 18:35

• schicksal
    9 years ago

@Kiwigem - yes I do. Check the week 26 thread tomorrow for pics. Things are just a bit of a mess today.