Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good size for kitchen with booth area also?

Posted by nostalgicfarm (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 9:37

I have been looking at floor plans for months now! Some of these kitchens just seem like they would be really tight...I guess if you aren't ever cooking it doesn't matter. I have come to the conclusion that I probably want a separate dining room and a booth in the kitchen for more casual eating (breakfast/lunch). I don't like kitchen/dining/living completely open to each other, although I don't mind archways or columns so you can still see into the living room from the kitchen. Currently I have a nice large island and would like to keep that, still undecided on barstools...3 young kids, but a booth/nook area would kind of replace that, right?
I'm trying to take advantage of views from the Northeast corner of the home, so placing living/kitchen/eating area along the north and northeast part of home...I've about given up finding a floorplan that makes me want to go pour a foundation!
I do plan on having a Large pantry/6 * 12 or 7*12 right off the kitchen as I buy in bulk and plan to do a lot of canning, so that will be my primary food storage. What size kitchen have you found to be ideal? Really having a hard time finding just a prefect kitchen that's not too open to the living room, and having a hard time visualizing how to make a booth fit in and not be really weird?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good size for kitchen with booth area also?

A booth needs 5x5 minimum for a 3'x3' square table. Add in 48" aisles around it for traffic flow, and you're at 9'x9" for that. You can do a small but efficient galley kitchen in a 10'x10' room. If you butt the seating area up to the cabinets, you can technically do a long galley of 15'x10 and get everything you want. But, a lot of people might think that to be crowded. But, you don't need nearly as much space as today's theater's of food might have you think!

(Apologies for the very quick not to scale sketch, but it gives you the general idea.)

o

Thanks live wire.
I Have to have a good size island. I have a good size one now and could not live without it for making cinnamon rolls and batch canning! So I am probably thinking more a u shape kitchen. I was actually concerned that some of the kitchen sizes on floor plans I am seeing are really too small..if you actually cook and bake anyway!

Thanks for the sketch...what would go in that other corner? Walkways to other rooms? Thanks!

o

Sounds like you need to hire an architect and give them your parameters, not just for the kitchen area, but the rest of the house as well. i.e.: banquette/booth seating in kitchen, large walk-in pantry, large island, not an open floor plan . . . and any other issues you may have -- 2 car attached garage, first floor master (or not), laundry room, mud room, etc.

You seem to have very specific needs and retro-fitting an existing plan sounds like it is not working for you. And while this forum is a great one for revising an existing plan, I think your questions are a bit too broad to get much help here.

We can give you standard sizes - like the need for 24" per person for seating side by side, typical bench seat depth a min 18" to 24" the need to leave adequate knee room under the table, etc. But you need a starting point, and working with an architect will get you there. If you are planning a forever home, the cost will be worth it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here