Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cree55

Backsplash Regret, ideas please help!

Cree55
9 years ago

We are in the process of building our new construction home, and as worried as I was about the kitchen sadly something went horribly wrong. I think the backsplash clashes horribly...I know it's not the hardest fix but ripping it for a new one is not an option with my husband. Any ideas on ways to make it clash a little less? I honestly thought it would be a tanner color vs the cream that it turned out. My only idea is to paint the wall above the cabinets a color with a tan tone vs gray. I'm lost on any other ideas...

I added some updated pictures, if anyone has ideas on paint colors/schemes that might work for the wall I really appreciate it! And all of the help, thanks so much!

This post was edited by Cree55 on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 16:10

Comments (65)

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the Brandon Beige that's in my son's room, we might have some extra on hand. But I think it might have a gray undertone and I think the cabinets would bring it out. So I'm clueless here too.

• Christina03
    9 years ago

Why not go completely away from the beiges and grays and try something out of the box like a beautiful blue gray paint. Or even a green gray...your backsplash, floors and cabinets will pop! ;)

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you look at my double doors in the floor picture, one side is BM Wedgewood Gray. Would that be a good idea to carry it into the kitchen also maybe? I did it for a pop of color..

• teacats
    9 years ago

How about simple fresh clean white -- to blend in with the trim and sink and the doors etc. Keep it simple ....

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh thanks that too, the window seal I think is a big factor in the clash. I threw out the idea of changing the color of the window seal maybe to match the paint color whatever that may be? Or the baksplash color?

This post was edited by Cree55 on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 12:58

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

i agree with Christina,,,,,
    i wouldn't do beige or gray....
    gray is doing nothing for your cabs...
    beige will do nothing for your cabs/BS/floor/counter...
    a close-up of counter & BS would be helpful...
    maybe a color from your granite??

i think you need to go in a different direction.....
    yellow... green....??? or a shade u love....

you need a color to make your cabs pop, if not u will have no contrast and you will not be doing those gorgeous cabs justice..

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

Wow! It looks like your kitchen will be beautiful!! We also used knotty wood for our kitchen cabinets (hickory). I like the backsplash, and agree w/ others who mentioned changing the wall paint. I'm sure once all the finishing touches go in, everything will tie together nicely. :-)

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wiped the granite but the flooring is still not clean

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is a close up of the countertop, backsplash, wall color

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I think it looks great, gorgeous in fact! I'd give my eye teeth for this kitchen....can we trade? lol!

• Christina03
    9 years ago

I just looked at my fan deck and I think that bringing in the Wedgewood gray would look AMAZING against your cabinets and backsplash. I hope I helped!

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aww thank you both so much. The kitchen was my biggest worry from the very beginning, I'm not crafty and not decorative. Maybe that's why I am so hard on it but you all are making me feel so much more positive! I am so greatful

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

And just think how amazing it's going to look after the appliances are in!

• mays802
    9 years ago

I don't see any clashing at all. You picked a very neutral back splash and it goes nicely with your pretty stone. The wall color is neutral and pretty too! No worries!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I don't see any problem here, it looks beautiful!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

the lighting in your latest pics is bad. THAT too will make a difference. Wait til floor is cleaned up, lighting is in - and on. Then take another pic for us.

Even if you don't change the paint color that kitchen won't come close to being a bad kitchen! It looks wonderful!

I'd go with a sage green. on the light side...

the floors are beautiful too!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I'm sorry, but I think a warmer wall color would be better. And that window sill (only) in the photo(s) is coming off as a very cool white and as a different color than the rest of the trim. A warmer white would be helpful there. But that's all -- the tile looks great with everything else and your kitchen is turning out great.

• practigal
    9 years ago

The cabinets, the countertop, the floors, the design elements (other than the backsplash) are all fabulous! But the subway tile just doesn't work. The way the light is bouncing off each of the individual tiles (making you aware of all of those hundreds of little grout lines) is very distracting. One of the reviewers above mentioned getting better lighting. You should try that first because you will need better lighting under any circumstances. If after improving the lighting the tile still looks bad, then the backsplash has to go. Full disclaimer here: I really really dislike subway tile and would never use it in any room of my house.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

OK practigal, first of all there is currently NO lighting installed that I can see, the spot lights are not turned on. If you look at her photo, there are just holes in the ceiling for where the lights will go. I'd say the shine is from the camera flash. Also the kitchen isn't even finished yet and there is nothing on the counters. Once the kitchen is in full service with stuff set around, the tile will hardly even be noticeable that it's shiny. I have a shiny tile in my kitchen and with all my stuff, you don't see it or pay any attention to it.

I had not noticed the white window sill but I suppose if after window treatments are in it still looks too blue white then that would be a super easy fix to paint it a warmed down white.

This post was edited by arkansas_girl on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 6:47

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right now I'm thinking about going BM Manchester Tan on the wall and possible color matching the window seal to the tile. I think it sticks out very much. There is no lighting in the house yet, this is just natural light from outside.

Although I love subway tile, I do agree the glossiness is distracting. I will research it today but I wonder if there's a matte finish of some type, a seal maybe that we can apply? If that would work.

This post was edited by Cree55 on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 8:30

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

FWI, This is just to give you a different image.

Here is your last photo lightened and with the walls in a color.

Image a few decorative items on the countertop to pick up whatever color you choose.

The cabinets and floor are such a neutral brown you are free to use about any color on the walls. You can stay with the present pale grayish color, but the upper cabs seem to me to look isolated against white tile and a pale wall.

Again, I'm not suggesting THIS color, but I do urge you to consider A color, probably somewhat greyed and not too light or dark.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I like your tile with the rich, wood cabinets. Once your range, faucets, & "stuff" goes on your countertops, you'll have other finishes in the room & the glossyness of the tiles will blend in. Wait until everything else is in place. I can't tell you how many times I've been disappointed with something new, only to love it once the room was complete.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I'd sample the Wedgewood Gray --- but then I love blue! It's a gorgeous kitchen.

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 11:18

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is quick and nowhere near neat. Wedgewood gray and color matched window seal. Better? I like the blue top but my husband is more of a neutral guy so I going to just do smaller blue accents originally.

This post was edited by Cree55 on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 11:52

• zargunn
    9 years ago

I think that backsplash tile looks great. Very classy, unassuming. You will not get tired of it, and it will not look outdated in a few years like some of the trendier and louder choices are bound to do. Fwiw, I like the glossiness, as it makes it a little more sparkly and blingy

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I can't open your last picture, but I could see Bellsmom's picture, and I repeat what I and others said above -- just paint! (maybe not lime green, but paint).

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

For some reason now I can see the picture! I'm not in love with the blue upper wall (although I like the color in the abstract). I think I'd go with the beige you were originally considering (maybe a deeper color than the wall that surrounds the door to the right). That and some stuff on the counters ought to do the trick!

• LE
    9 years ago

The Benjamin Moore store near me sells those large paper versions of "paint chips" and will even take them back if they still look pristine. It's a good way to try on colors at a resonable scale for nothing (or next to nothing, if you are like me and carry them around until they get beat up a little too much.) I think it is all great except the paint color and I would vote for a warmer tone, too.

• annaship1
    9 years ago

The tile definitely has yellow undertones that really show against the gray wall. Are you planning on doing a window covering or treatment of some sorts? I think that the colors could be tied together very well if you picked a fabric with a subtle grey and pale yellow pattern. There are tons of grey and yellow fabrics out there right now, this seems like it would be the easiest way to bring your space together.

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I spoke to my painter, he is going to paint the window seal to match the tile. I am going to go with a neutral color on the wall for now, adding the blue gray color into accents. I'm having trouble finding the right tan, I always gravitate to cooler colors. And I know not to pick too dark of a shade since it will just be an accent wall surrounded by the Revere Pewter.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

In your close-up posted at 16:08 Tuesday, the tile looks good with the counter, it looks good with the cabinets, it doesn't look good with the paint.

How about a neutral tan that has subtle green undertones such as Sherwin Williams Rice Grain. As you can see from the google search attached is varies in "green" based on the lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: SW Rice Grain pictures

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I like your backsplash and agree that it's the wall color that's not working. If it were my kitchen I would probably paint the walls a warm cream, off white or yellow based greige color. Maybe Ben Moore Ivory White or Edgecomb Gray.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree that the Wedgewood looks too blue. Is second trying the Edgecomb gray or sticking with Manchester Tan. Both are great. Or try BM Coastal Fog. It's kind of beige, gray, green but goes beautifully with brown and blue. (or BM Inner Balance, a tad lighter).

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

If it were my kitchen I'd paint the walls a buff yellow, I think it would bring out the warmth of the woods and blend in with the tile tone. Others may disagree but that would be my choice.

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to get the color of the tile so I could paint the window seal, perfect match to Manchestsr Tan. So the wall and backsplash would be the same exact color...

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Cree55- I just skimmed the thread but I noticed you planned to use Manchester Tan. Def get a sample to see it up on the walls. We used it in our family room last year that doesn't get a lot of natural light and it's very dull and boring. Since our kitchen reno is slightly overlapping with the family room, I get to reprint and I'm so relieved. Going with a white that's warm and creamy to brighten the room.

When i went to BM I asked for a neutral that didn't read anything, Manchester Tan is what they recommended. They were correct in that the color just "is".

Perhaps with your lighting and color scheme it will be the perfect compliment but had to share my experience. Good luck!!!

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've decided to try the Wedgewood Blue, only on that East wall over the sink like in this picture. Fingers crossed it looks nice!

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well maybe...yesterday I decided to use the blue. Now I'm worried it makes the tile look yellow

• bobbie2010
    9 years ago

I like your backsplash, I am trying to figure out mine at the moment. We went with a darker color with the wood cabinets. I'm not sure what the color is called, it's Sherman William

• annaship1
    9 years ago

I think that the blue will absolutely make the tile appear even more yellow. You will need a paint with a yellow undertone if you don't want that to be evident in your tile.

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love your granite! I wanted a white/gray color!

• bobbie2010
    9 years ago

Cree55 it's a quartz. Had them come back and do the back part of this so we did not have to put backsplash here too. What is your backsplash tile make/color?

• kelleg69
    9 years ago

I think it would be great if you could find a fabric that mixed a few of your colors (I see brown and creamy yellow) and make a Roman shade to hang over the window. It would 'tie' the colors together. I kind of think I might match the wall color to the tile. I found two different colors of a fabric on Calico Corners that could work for that window treatment.
    http://www.calicocorners.com/p-640-django-persian.aspx
    I think the one with the red might be great.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I think it looks fine. I'd do nothing until I was ready to paint years from now.

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

I think the blue definitely makes the tile look more yellow. A creamy beige or off white would look great and make the tile act as more of a subdued background while providing great contrast for your cabinets and flooring. Those beautiful surfaces should be the stars of the kitchen!

I love the way the lighter SW Believable Buff walls make my walnut stained doors and floors stand out. I have this color in my kitchen now with SW Antique White trim. We're getting ready to paint the cabinets creamy white and I might go one shade lighter and use SW Antique White on the walls and BM Ivory White/Acadia White on the cabinets and trim. Hoping this will let our slate floors and soapstone counters be the stars of our kitchen :)

This post was edited by juddgirl2 on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 10:59

• Cree55
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Updated picture:
    Lights are on, just waiting for pendants over the island to be installed. After bothering my painter twice with colors, I've decided to wait and leave the wall the original color. It actually looks great now. I love it even. My my lol we'll see after the rest of the lights and appliances are in and have my blue roman shade made for the window but for now here is how it looks.

• bobbie2010
    9 years ago

Looks wonderful, so glad you are happy with it!! May I ask what make color your backsplash is? I'm still searching

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

cree, it looks great. I guess the lights warm up the grey in the paint.

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

Glad you waited and didn't rush into repainting. Looks great!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I was also thinking about once you get the appliances in which I'm just assuming they will be stainless, that will also make the gray paint work because the appliances will be basically gray in color (stainless).

I can't wait to see it finished...please be sure and keep us updated on the final results.