Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

An alternative for pot and pans storage

joygreenwald
9 years ago

Before I started a new thread, I double checked checked my memory. Though there are been a few questions/quick discussions of Glideware racks, no one who has actually lived with them has posted.

I've had mine since the beginning of October.

This is my peninsula:

This is the what it looks like inside:

(Marketing photos show the lids handing off the pans, but i use the pans lid free most of the time, and I didn't want to fuss with a lid just to get to my pan.)

I wanted a way to keep my non-stick safe and not have to dig through my pans to get to one I wanted. I'd had a hanging pot rack in my old kitchen, and I loved hanging my pans from smallest to largest. But I didn't want anything hanging from the ceiling in the new kitchen. Tool a chance on the Glideware.

They may be my favorite thing in my new kitchen. They slide out easily. I can get to everything. But everything is hidden away.

In another thread, someone mentioned noise. They can be a bit noisy if the pots or pans swing and hit one another but nothing on the level that it bothers me, and I dread needing to use a garbage disposal (not nearly as bad in my new sink), the vacuum, or even a hood vent. I can make a video if someone wants.

I thought they were pricey for what they are. Maybe my husband could have built something for less. But they are really well built. I know the company launched with a kickstarter only a few years ago, so they probably haven't been able to bring the price down yet. (I got the best price on eBay from someone who clearly sells a lot, not an unhappy customer.)

So, this is just a public service announcement. Get whatever works for you. (AKA, please don't flame me for my choice or tell me what I should have done. Just had my reveal. I'm done! :) )

Comments (6)

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

thanks for this post! I did not even know something like this was available. Great idea for storage and I am looking for (after market) storage for my new cabinets. Our cabinets did not have a many fancy storage choices, but I figured I could find some storage options...and I love this! Can you tell me what size this cabinet is? looks as if is at least a 24". We will have a 24" just to the right of the new range and this would be perfect if it fits! Do they make several sizes?
    As far as noise, I know I make noise digging/looking for the right pan in a regular cabinet! ...so not a bother,,,your going to make noise in the kitchen one way or another.

I will check on ebay!! thanks for the post!!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow. those are great! If/When I ever get my kitchen redone, which desperately needs it, I'll look into those, esp. since my kitchen is small. Not sure how noise could be a factor. No matter how you stack or hang pots and pans, they make noise when trying to get one or two out.

I keep mine in an upper cabinet (although not my heavy cast iron) so they're at or just above eye level, on two shelves. Much easier to get as well than bending over and trying to find the one you want in a lower cab.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Thanks for the post and picture! That's new to me and I'm intrigued.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

That's a terrific solution to an age-old problem (going on my list for next house/next remodel). We ended up, as usual, stacking pans, but we did make room in the drawers so each pot & cover combination has it's own space. So half the problem solved, but not this well!

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

This is brilliant and timely for me. Thank you very much joygreenwald.

I use woks extensively when cooking and have a dozen woks of varying sizes (cast iron and stainless steel). Currently I stack store them but it means I have to lift out the ones on top. I was going to post a query on storing woks as the curved base means that normal storage vertically is not possible .

Edit; Could you give any information on the weight the racks can hold. My cast iron woks are pretty heavy - the heaviest is about 2- 2.5 + kg and the lightest about half kg.

Thanks

This post was edited by gemcap on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 13:24

• Aglitter
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

An addendum for researchers: the slide weight rating is 100 lbs/45 kg. The company has come out with newer products since this thread was posted that are worth checking out including a super susan with pegs for hanging large cookware.