Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
off gassing from instant hot water tap

Posted by debrak_2008 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 9:08

My sink and instant hot water tap are now usable, yea! Since I'm at the sink now washing dishes I started noticing this smell. Combo of coffee grounds and new car smell. DH says it smells like burning plastic. Anyway, determined its coming from the insinkerator hot water tank. The smell is not constant. DH thinks it is noticable when the tank is in heating mode. I smell it as soon as I get within 3 feet of the sink. The water does not smell or taste funny.

I googled this and found nothing. I plan to keep the sink cabinet doors open as much as I can. Hopefully it will disappear soon.

Anyone have this issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: off gassing from instant hot water tap

We've been using ours since July and never noticed a smell. It was bought earlier on during renovation and had been sitting in the house for a few weeks before being installed. I wonder if that made the difference?

We love love love it! I hope the issue resolves soon for you.

o

This is my second insta hot and haven't ever experienced what you're describing. No smell at all.

o

I have confirmed it only gives off the smell when in heating mode. Then the smell disappears. I have the cabinet doors open so hopefully that will help. I felt the unit and it is only slightly warm so I don't think its overheating.

I does concern me that both of you never had the smell...... Other than that we also love it! Hot chocolate mix disolves so fast and tea is so much quicker to make.

o

We had a major smell problem with our Everhot unit a few months ago. In our situation, it basically overheated and burned out after 5 years of use- causing the smell. I could smell it a few feet away - and it was the exact smell you described. But, we had a new unit installed and also drilled some heat release holes in the bottom of the cabinet and we haven't had any additional odors.

o

We had a major smell problem with our Everhot unit a few months ago. In our situation, it basically overheated and burned out after 5 years of use- causing the smell. I could smell it a few feet away - and it was the exact smell you described. But, we had a new unit installed and also drilled some heat release holes in the bottom of the cabinet and we haven't had any additional odors.

o

Hurray the smell is almost completely gone! I left the cabinets doors open all yesterday. Today I stood at the sink while the tank was heating, couldn't smell anything. Opened the doors, and it was barely noticable.

I'm surprised it dissipated that quickly since it was so strong.

I just got the OK to use the DW. WOW I've been without it since July or Aug. Another hurray!

o

Are your cabinets new? If so, then the offgassing could very well be from the cabinet finish or adhesives, countertop resins, new paint, wall board, etc. reacting with the heat of the water heater. It may not be the heater itself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here