Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008_gw

off gassing from instant hot water tap

debrak_2008
11 years ago

My sink and instant hot water tap are now usable, yea! Since I'm at the sink now washing dishes I started noticing this smell. Combo of coffee grounds and new car smell. DH says it smells like burning plastic. Anyway, determined its coming from the insinkerator hot water tank. The smell is not constant. DH thinks it is noticable when the tank is in heating mode. I smell it as soon as I get within 3 feet of the sink. The water does not smell or taste funny.

I googled this and found nothing. I plan to keep the sink cabinet doors open as much as I can. Hopefully it will disappear soon.

Anyone have this issue?

Comments (8)

• gardenpixie
    11 years ago

We've been using ours since July and never noticed a smell. It was bought earlier on during renovation and had been sitting in the house for a few weeks before being installed. I wonder if that made the difference?

We love love love it! I hope the issue resolves soon for you.

• poohpup
    11 years ago

This is my second insta hot and haven't ever experienced what you're describing. No smell at all.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have confirmed it only gives off the smell when in heating mode. Then the smell disappears. I have the cabinet doors open so hopefully that will help. I felt the unit and it is only slightly warm so I don't think its overheating.

I does concern me that both of you never had the smell...... Other than that we also love it! Hot chocolate mix disolves so fast and tea is so much quicker to make.

• jillies01
    11 years ago

We had a major smell problem with our Everhot unit a few months ago. In our situation, it basically overheated and burned out after 5 years of use- causing the smell. I could smell it a few feet away - and it was the exact smell you described. But, we had a new unit installed and also drilled some heat release holes in the bottom of the cabinet and we haven't had any additional odors.

• jillies01
    11 years ago

We had a major smell problem with our Everhot unit a few months ago. In our situation, it basically overheated and burned out after 5 years of use- causing the smell. I could smell it a few feet away - and it was the exact smell you described. But, we had a new unit installed and also drilled some heat release holes in the bottom of the cabinet and we haven't had any additional odors.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hurray the smell is almost completely gone! I left the cabinets doors open all yesterday. Today I stood at the sink while the tank was heating, couldn't smell anything. Opened the doors, and it was barely noticable.

I'm surprised it dissipated that quickly since it was so strong.

I just got the OK to use the DW. WOW I've been without it since July or Aug. Another hurray!

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Are your cabinets new? If so, then the offgassing could very well be from the cabinet finish or adhesives, countertop resins, new paint, wall board, etc. reacting with the heat of the water heater. It may not be the heater itself.

• HU-224721834
    2 years ago

There are way too many complaints of a burning plastic type odour coming from the Insinkerator under sink Water Heater to ignore the problem. Ours fills the entire living area of the house. Visitors remark on the acrid smell in our house. Its obviously a serious design fault and should be looked at by the manufacturer. Dont buy one until the manufacturer fixes the problem.