Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install a wall control panel for vent hood for range

Posted by IowaCommute (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 9:02

Good morning everyone, I have been smitten with a 36" DCS LP range since I saw it at a giant appliance store. It is one they do demos on so of course they had a big DCS vent hood (super hot halogens) set up too.

Well I don't want to sound like a total idiot, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of the range so I sort of reached up to touch the controls, and I burnt my fingers on the lights.

Here is my real dilemma (besides needing to pay attention more) I am only 4'11 and am the only cook ever in this household. It was a big reach for me to get to those controls. Now I didn't measure to see how tall it was from the range (it looked a little tall but really everything does). My 6' husband went up to it, and it looked about right for him.

My question: can you wire up the vent hood to have a wall control panel (like a regular light switch plate?)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install a wall control panel for vent hood for range

Yes you can wire it to a wall switch but many range hoods come with a remote now. My new zephyr monsoon DCBL has a remote.
It looks really well made and nice fit and finish but its not installed yet so no report on function yet.

o

I think the answer to that question would vary by model. What a wall switch would do is to cut off and resupply power tot eh fan. Mine has electronic controls, and I am pretty sure that the lights would not default to "on" when I re-supplied power to it, even if it was set to "on" before cutting the power. Other models would have simpler controls, so your scheme would work with them.

o

It is possible but it may void the warranty. Your electrician will have to connect it to a wall switch and depending on whether it is a 3 step motor or a variable speed motor, it may vary. I am short and I am concerned about this too. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any hood manufacturer with LED lights..

o

Hmmm thanks for the answers. I think I'll start contacting manufactures to see what they say. Although the one ppbenn has could be good.

I'll post back what I found lalitha. Hopefully I can fond something helpful.

o

yes, they actually sell vent hood wall switches, depending on the manufacturer. you just need to make sure your model is compatible. for example, my vent fan is made by fantech. and they told me i could wire it to one of their wall switches, linked below. though i think you would need to wire your lights onto another switch and the fan on another, but usually they are wired separately anyway, so this won't be too difficult for an electrician to do. the concept is similar to those in-wall ceiling fan switches.

Here is a link that might be useful: vent fan wall switch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here