Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountdgal

Kohler Whitehaven 30" or 36"? Paint color?

mountdgal
9 years ago

Hello All! I'm a newbie to GW and I must say, I am quite impressed with the support and depth of knowledge of the members. I am writing because I am beginning a kitchen renovation. My kitchen is a narrow galley style. I plan on Staining my floor Jacobean, adding SS appliances/range hood, painting my existing cabinets BM Dove White (only Bc I've hear it's popular) and adding SS or chrome cup pulls. I've also ordered a Carrara countertop. I would also like to retrofit the Kohler Whitehaven short apron sink to my existing 36" base cabinet. I plan on using a single hole spring coil faucet. My question is, should I do the 36 or the 30 and are there any additional white paint suggestions for my cabinets? Also what finish should I use (satin, semi)?

P.s. If anyone has a photo of their Whitehaven please share.. I'm especially looking for short apron photos but am more than happy to see them all!

This post was edited by mountdgal on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 10:27

Comments (35)

• practigal
    9 years ago

I would swap out the white stove and dishwasher, add the sink in the 30" or 36" in gray or black-if you like your current size why not use that same size again? I would spend several hours looking at high ceilings on houzz to gather ideas on how to make the ceiling interesting rather than cavernous. I would only paint in dove white if I liked it OR was planning on immediate resale-you may end up looking at this color for a long time, you need to like it. And you will want to personalize the kitchen.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Or go white with everything and ditch all the black...

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response. I have not yet moved into this house so I don't have an opinion on liking/using the existing sink. I actually tore out the existing sink/countertops and we are renovating prior to moving in. I plan on swapping out existing appliances for SS, adding a subway tile backsplash, industrial style range hood and tongue and groove planks painted white to the ceiling. I also plan on hanging a large glass light fixture from the ceiling. I am also painting the walls a very pale (almost white) gray. I love the look of a deep farmhouse sink but I believe the short Whitehaven will be less work and give similar results.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FYI I am doing Carrera countertops ... no black :)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have photos with the short apron Whitehaven installed?

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if I have the short apron or not...I dont remember that being an option, but here is my Whitehaven in Cane sugar, 36". I love it. I say get as large a sink as you can. Single bowl definitely works best for the way we wash dishes.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Are you sure you want to paint over those gorgeous maple cabs? I think simply changing the hardware to something more sleek and contemporary would do it.

36" is HUGE, and normally I'd say go with the bigger sink, but in a small galley kitchen, 36" of sink takes up a lot of room, unnecessarily, and takes away from more needed counter space. 30" is a perfectly fine size for a sink. I'd go with the 30".

Jacobean floor, marble counters, maple cabsâ¦beautiful. I'd paint the walls a nice blue.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Are you sure you want to paint over those gorgeous maple cabs? I think simply changing the hardware to something more sleek and contemporary would do it.

36" is HUGE, and normally I'd say go with the bigger sink, but in a small galley kitchen, 36" of sink takes up a lot of room, unnecessarily, and takes away from more needed counter space. 30" is a perfectly fine size for a sink. I'd go with the 30".

Jacobean floor, marble counters, maple cabsâ¦beautiful. I'd paint the walls a nice blue.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@OOTM - Thank you for sharing your photo. Your sink is beautiful! It looks like you have the tall apron but it is making me reconsider my approach. It seems like I should be able to have my carpenter shorten my doors (or buy shorter doors), build support and install the traditional/tall version of this apron sink.

@Tibbrix - Thank you for your suggestions. You make some valid points. The maple cabinets are in great shape and I know the white cabinet thing has been done, done and done again but unfortunately not by me. I've lived with 80's style wood grain veneer cabinets for the past 15 years and am ready for a fresh white change :). You also make a good point regarding the 30". Perhaps if I go smaller in width, I should go taller in height. I know I am short on space and need to think smarter in regards to it. With counter space being a premium, I've reconfigured my cabinets in an attempt to maximize the space/flow. It will still be tight but having that one long continuous counter on the sink wall will hopefully help a bit.

Please let me know what you guys think.. Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

This post was edited by mountdgal on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 5:50

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

I just bought a whitehave sink 30" short apron, but sadly it still sits in the box as the cabinets have not arrived yet. I did throw caution to the wind and ordered the color: black and tan. It is absolutely beautiful! The front does seem short, but I did not want the hassle of trying to fit the large apron front into a cabinet. I agree, with you that I think short apron front will give "the look" I am going for.
    The 30" is plenty big, but if you already have a 36" I would just go with that. If you go to the KOhler web site, they show how the sink is installed, looks very straight forward and it almost looks like it would be more of a pain to try to fit a 30" into a 36". I would go for the 36" even thought that is going to be a large sink...but it will be lovely!! Good luck!

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bump

• wags848
    9 years ago

mountdgal - I am also considering the Whitehaven. We were thinking the 36" with the short apron but wondering if the 33" might be better since there is not much room between our dishwasher and the side of our 36" cabinet.

Here are some photos of Whitehavens I took while hunting at kitchen stores last week. I'll post them individually. Hope this helps!

I think this was the 30 inch:

• wags848
    9 years ago

Another Whitehaven:

• wags848
    9 years ago

Another view:

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Wags! Are all photos the short apron? If so, the second photo looks like 36. By the way, I didn't know the Whitehaven came in 33. Good to know.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If it comes in 33", I'd skip the 36" altogether and decide on the 30 or 33. I just installed a 33" SS sink, and I absolutely LOVE it. I, like you, have a small galley kitchen, but my sink is at the front, so no matter the size, it would not steal any counterspace. There was a 32" double-basin there before.

Mine is also 9 inches deep. The original was 7 - way too shallow, and water splashed everywhere (on top of the fact that, because it was a double basin, there was absolutely no room to do anything. It was just an awful sink).

However, I wouldn't want to go deeper than 9 inches or you'll break your back having to bend over to wash dishes (maybe this depends on how tall a person is?). So I'd get 8 or 9 inches deep and the 33".

• wags848
    9 years ago

Yes, the photos are of the short apron.
    Re the 33', I didn't know that size was available until I saw someone mention it on GW (guess a different thread)! Anyway, I just called a kitchen store & they said the 33' can be installed in a 36' base. See the link for measurements.

What color are you selecting? I'll go with white...neutral & less costly. Hoping to score a deal over Black Friday.

wags

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitehaven 33

• wags848
    9 years ago

My only concern is one Tibbrix mentioned...the depth. I am about 5'10" and the undermounts in the showrooms all felt low to me...but I am used to a drop-in. I would have to get the grid for sure. But wondering if my back will like an undermount?

• wags848
    9 years ago

Uh oh...that link I posted for the 33" has a long apron. Will check to see if there is a 33" with a short apron.

• wags848
    9 years ago

Ok...the 33" with short apron is on the Kohler site. :)
    Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: 33

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@Gabs - congrats on your new sink.. Can't wait to see it installed! What color are your cabinets.

@Wags - thanks for the heads up on the 33. I wonder if it will be more expensive then the 36?

@Tibb - is your sink a SS farmhouse? Can you share a photo of your kitchen.

By the way, I'm 5'3" and hubby is 5'8". We're not super tall people so I'm not too concerned about the undermount.

• wags848
    9 years ago

mountdgal - Prices on Amazon shows the 36" is more expensive:

36" - $899.25

33" - $824.25

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome! Thank you! For some reason it still seems like installing the 36" into a 36" will be less work but it's nice to have the option of the 33".

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You guys are going to think I am crazy BUT I am now considering a traditional undermount sink. I have been stalking Houzz for small, narrow galley kitchens and it seems like most have undermount sinks (no apron). I've always had my heart set on a farm sink but I'm also dying for a mac daddy industrial style range and hood. I figure I can put the money I save on the sink towards that. What do you guys think? Will the look and feel of my kitchen feel drastically different without the apron sink? (I really want that modern farmhouse feel). By the way, all of my other design elements are remaining the same (Carrera Counters, Jacobean floors, white cabinets, etc).

https://www.houzz.com/photos/leschi-traditional-kitchen-seattle-phvw-vp~25147-traditional-kitchen-seattle

http://www.styleathome.com/kitchen-and-bath/kitchen/kitchen-interior-bistro-glamour/a/46446

https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~124904-White-Kitchen-traditional-kitchen-dc-metro

This post was edited by mountdgal on Tue, Nov 18, 14 at 20:08

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First Galley Kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: [Galley Kitchen 1[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/leschi-traditional-kitchen-seattle-phvw-vp~25147)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second

Here is a link that might be useful: Galley Kitchen 2

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

mountgal, I just saw you request for a photo. I'll post one tomorrow. My sink is a drop-in SS, no apron. 33" Ariel, a real cheapo. I'm not particular about these things and think they're not worth spending a lot of money on. A sink is a sink is a sink. I agree with your last comment, about going simpler with a sink and using the savings for something you feel more strongly about. Also important to me when I was trying to find a sink was that it have curved corners. The latest things seems to be these 90-degree angled corners.

I'll post a pic tomorrow. What I'm really proud of myself for, though, is the Wolverine Brass faucet I got to go with the sink. Simple but incredibly well made, no bells and whistles, but perfect height, side sprayer, which I wanted, handle is on top of the tap which makes turning it on and off easy and ambidextrousâ¦and despite their high quality, they are NOT expensive. One of the best purchases I've made. I just bought a Wb shower faucet kit for my master bathroom as well.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibb! Just curious but do you feel the same about ranges as well (in terms of them being mostly functional and not too important aesthetically)? It seems like a consistent theme in the Houzz photos (regardless of apron sink or drop in/undermount sink) is always a slide-in, industrial/professional style range. In a perfect world it would be nice to have both but between the two, I believe the range might be the stronger design element.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

mount, yes, I do feel the same way about ranges as well. My feeling is that, esp. with things with moving parts, you want to go as simple as possible because the more moving parts something has, the more there is to break. Simplicity is always better, IMO, when it comes to appliances.

I could be completely wrong about this, but my instincts tell me that the industrial/professional types of ranges everyone seems to "need' at a cost of $10,000, or more, are probably made very, very differently for residential customers than they are for restaurants and other commercial entities. IMO, they are an enormous waste of money and are about ego and narcissism rather than about anything practical (spend $2K on a good GE Profile range and give the $8K you'd save from buying a Viking range to a charity if you have that much to spend on a stove!). In addition, those professional ranges, the real ones, are powerful, and they are because cooking in restaurants is very different than cooking at home. They have to cook very fast and large quantities, so they need a lot of heat. That is NOT the case at home, and so many of my clients have those ranges and they are TOO hot and difficult to control. In addition, most who have them barely cook and cook mac and cheese with hot dogs for their kids. That can easily be done on a regular oven! But mostly I suspect they're not made nearly like the actual professional/industrial ranges and are in fact a big waste of money.

That said, you certainly don't want an eyesore for a range. I got a hand-me down from a friend who restores old homes and gave me a GE profile he pulled out of a house in Cambridge, MA. I love it. And I got lucky in that it was black with SS. My dishwasher is black, my sink is SS, and my fridge is black handle with SS door fronts, black surround. So the GE was perfect.

However, ultimately, I think what you should care about with appliances is the quality and reliabilityâ¦which I also think has become very difficult to achieve.

I was away today. I"ll take a pic tomorrow. Promise.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibb. Would love to see photos of your kitchen. By the way, I found a Bertazzoni floor sample for $1400 that I am considering buying. I'd never pay over $2k for a stove (mainly bc I can't afford it). I was referring to getting the industrial "look for less". Btw, I consider the GE Profile a high end residential range.. Kudos to you for scoring it!

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

FYI, just installed my whitehaven sink today...we are far from done and plastic still on the front of sink...but just to give you an idea.
    Very easy to install and totally worth the price! I am loving it!!
    It is a 30 inch, color: black and tan color. Its PLENTY big for me.

• Karen Paul
    7 years ago

Is this Whitehaven the long apron or short apron?

• nycbluedevil_gw
    7 years ago

Sorry, coming to this late but I just installed a 36" Whitehaven with the short apron in my kitchen. i love it. It was very easy to install. My existing cabinet is 36" as well. I'm glad I went with the larger size.

• Karen Paul
    7 years ago

I'm deciding between the short and long apron Whitehaven today. 1) Does the short apron look "stunted?" I kinda like the look of it and don't need to do short as we are starting from scratch and can do what we want. 2) When you install the long apron Whitehaven, are the cabinet doors under it so short that it's hard to reach down to open them and is it hard to get stuff out from under the sink because they are shorter cabinet doors? Thanks! I need to decide asap! (We have to get the 33" Whitehaven.)