Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle00_gw

The ball is officially rolling-- SO excited

danielle00
15 years ago

I met with our KD, whom I LOVE, and she's come up with a plan we are really happy with.. it involves minimal structural changes (raising one window up and shifting a door 15") and gives us everythign we were hoping for ... and more! (a wall oven in addition to a range!)

We also found a great GC who did some pre-kitchen-design demo. and exploratory work (removed a chimney and re-routed duct work so I can have one usable corner in my kitchen). He wanted 2600 for the chimney, but it ended up being only 1300..

I'm sure a lot of you can relate to the initial excitement!

Just wanted to share!

Comments (14)

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Congrats on getting your new kitchen started! I share your excitment. My new kitchen was done in July, and I'm still excited about it! Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.
    Barb

• gglks
    15 years ago

ditto!!!! my kitchen was recently finished and i almost never leave it.....sitting here right now checking out the kitchen forum!

if you can do this, i would recommend your window coming all the way down to the meet the countertop. i can post of pic if you need one. we made that change and it is one of my favorites. you wouldn't believe how much bigger the view feels!!!! actually, i'll post a photo so you can see what i mean....

good luck!

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gglks... that is a great look... do you have a picture from closer up? how do you like your SS apron front sink? Is that costa esmeralda or something else? I LOVE it.

• gglks
    15 years ago

i don't have a closer picture but can take one if you want me to. what are you trying to look at?

i LOVE the ss apron fronk sink. it is sooooooo different from the standard sink, i think it really stands out. rmkitchen's was my inspiration. you should check out her finished pics too.

and yes, that is costa esmerelda.....good eye! i love my counters also. very neutral and they have a lot of white veining which i love.

have fun in your next few phases....very exicting and exhausting too!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

danielle..congrats on getting started...we are in the beginning stage
    after demo, the electrical, behind wall stuff so I am very excited too!
    Be sure to keep us posted.

gglks...love your kitchen, you did a great job. I am torn between costa esmeralda and jungle green right now
    I think I need more of the brown/rust colors that the jungle has though. Yours blends perfectly.

vic

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gglks,
    how does the window meet the counter-- does it go infront of a bit of trim or does it end exactly at the countertop.

is your granite honed?
    it must have been a great slab.. the few I saw around here were olive-y more khaki than grey/green.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

You are in the best phase of the process IMO until completion (near completion). At least I hope the completion part is as satisfying as the selection part, still a ways away yet. Anyway, enjoy this phase it is really fun.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Oh I remember well the excitement of starting. From there it was downhill till we finished [BIG GRIN] but it is so worth it!!

We too changed the window to counter height but went further out with a garden window. We also put our cooktop in front of the window. I love the setup.

• tiskers
    15 years ago

gglks,

Your kitchen is gorgeous! LOVE the window set-up! One of our bidders told us about that, but couldn't provide us with any photos or resources to SHOW us what he was talking about, and without that I could not envision it AT ALL. So, we just shortened our window traditionally, and now I am sorry! *oh well!*

One question -- will you add a backsplash to the countertop on that window wall? What is your plan with that?

And oh -- Danielle - congrats! I am in the same boat as you. We just signed on the dotted line, too. Our KDs are pretty good, too (I don't LOVE 'em like you do yours, but... that's OK!) but oh, our GC is awesome. In fact, he's practically perfect... (It's my DH!!!)

• gglks
    15 years ago

danielle00---our window comes right to the counter. we had our window in before the granite templete so they didn't have to cut anything onsite. i suppose you could put some trim on the bottom if you like that look better. our granite is polished. i had a honed piece and it didn't stand out as much, maybe because of the really neutral colors. and i also saw some CE slabs that were very olive/khaki looking and i didn't really love them. maybe the slabs i bought were older?????

tiskers----did you already purchase your window? if not, it would not be hard to change in the plans. we ended up only putting backsplash behind the cooktop. i saw a photo of a kitchen that had that and i knew that is what i wanted....here's how it turned out...

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gglks,
    what paint is that on your walls-- it looks great w/ your granite. i'm also noticing you don't have a backsplash except behind your cooktop(although I wouldn't have noticed it unless you mentioned it in your previous post)! We were thinking of doing the same thing-- glad to see it looks great!

• tiskers
    15 years ago

Yeah, darn it, but the window has been bought and is completely in. It involved some re-siding on the outside of the house, too, and that's all done, too. It just wouldn't be practical to change it again now.

But, had I seen this thread a few weeks ago... !!!

Beautiful, beautiful kitchen! I LOVE IT!!!

• gglks
    15 years ago

danielle00---paint color is grecian ivory/SW. Has a hint of green to it which i like. At first i was nervous that only putting backsplash behind the cooktop wasn't "normal". but saw an inspiration picture that had it and i just stuck to my gut and i'm glad i did. it seems to make more of an impact. plus the inspiration pic (and my hood which i tried to copy) look more like a fireplace instead of a regular hood. i can't wait to see your progress!!!! when does the demo start?

tiskers...no big deal. you will love all your new things and it sounds like your getting a bigger window anyway!

• danielle00
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gglks,
    we got rid of the chimney and freed up a corner already (before we had no useable corners due to 5 doors and a window in our space).

I'm waiting to get some more bids on cabinets-- we have the plans and we are ready to order, just need to comparison shop. we hope to order by the end of next week and then start the process in january after the holidays. I haven't given up the dream of Crown Point cabinets, but it will be tough to stay within our budget if we go that route-- we'll see, though!

and I also just re-noticed that you have a SS apron-front sink.. it looks great.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County