Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Need to see tile above built-in back splash

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

I let my cabinet guy talk me into a built-in back splash which is not what I originally wanted. I was really looking forward to doing a tile back splash above my counter top and still hoping I can have both.

I just need to see examples and decide. I looked through the back splash slide show and there are very few which was discouraging.

Cutting off the built-in back splash is not an option since it's laminate. It's Labrador Granite (blackish with a little tan in it). Maybe if I use light colored, not busy tiles and use accents to repeat the counter top color it will look ok. ??

Since the built-in back splash will come up about four inches, will it look best to use four inch tiles rather than something larger?

My cabinets will be stained a medium color - oak.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Is it too late to change it? Has it been fabricated yet? We just put a no-backsplash laminate counter in and it was simple (and would probably cost you less).

That said, I contemplated putting tile above my old counter, pre remodel, and the only issue was the thickness of the 4 inch splash. But I think you could put whatever you want up there. Maybe do a mock up with painted paper or cardboard to see what colors appeal to you. And I don't think the size of tile is a major issue: Larger or smaller would all work, it just depends on what looks good to you. Maybe some folks on this forum or the decorating forum would have different ideas about that, though.

It sounds like you aren't happy with the 4 inch splash, however, so I'd call the guy and see how far along it is, to see if there is any way to stop production!

• canuckgal
    16 years ago

You can definitely put in a laminate countertop without the backsplash, we were contemplating doing that but the cost of laminate without the backsplash was about $14 more a linear foot.....too expensive for us. It can definitely be done though (I was yold they would order a bar counter instead) We are keeping the backsplash *and* doing tile above and I think it will look great!
    Cheryl

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

Check out the link below to a thread over on the decorating forum. There are several pictures and a whole saga of how one gal got her backsplash to blend beautifully with a 4" backsplash. I think the key is to make sure that your colors blend perfectly. I've seen plenty of backsplashes that if they were on the same plane as the countertop wouldn't work but because your eye doesn't really take in the vertical and horizontal at the same time it does work. Because you will have 2 different materials on the same plane, the eye takes them in at the same time. I hope this makes sense. I too just added a laminate counter with the 4" because my DH absolutely insisted. I have at this time decided to not add a full backsplash and just think on it a bit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Here are a couple:

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle - I have a feeling what you said was important but I don't get it. lol Maybe I need a little more caffeine this morning then I'll read it again.
    Bill - Thanks for posting those. I noticed all three have repeated the color of the counter top in the back splash with accents and I think that helps tie it together.
    It is too late to change my counter top to not have a built-in back splash. I do think he originally said it was going to be more expensive without one but I ended up special ordering a counter top with a full bull-nose edge so after I did that, I probably could've gotten one without the back splash as well but I didn't think of it.

Cheryl - Are you working on yours yet? I like to see it when it's done.

Ok Michelle - I read that again and it makes more sense now. Just needed a little diet coke. lol I do like the half round trim that dinobambino added to hers.

• kbkarots
    8 years ago

I think the granite gives a nice balance and wanted to do this but 3inches above my tile. My contractor thinks it will build out too far and grout line will be too think on the sides. I know it's easier just to tile and perhaps that's why he's stearing me away from it. SOS any suggestions?!