Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susansms_gw

$3850 to Install Cabinet Lighting?

susansms
9 years ago

We are remodeling our small kitchen. We just got an estimate of almost $4000 to install LED strips under 9 kitchen cabinets and to install 5 puck lights in the glass door cabinets. Also miscellaneous work such as changing outlets to gfci. Is this reasonable? We're located in Cambridge, MA.

Thanks,
Susan

Comments (13)

• User
    9 years ago

Depends on what else needs to be done to bring the home up to code that is also included in the bid. If several new circuits needs to be run, and you need a subpanel to do so, and it's all being run behind existing walls that haven't had the plaster removed to facilitate the renovation, then yes, it could be an accurate quote. Recessed lights alone average $200+ each to do depending on the housings chosen (should be ICAT LED).

I doubt seriously that the quote is "just" for under cabinet lighting. If that's all it is, then they don't want the job.

• chris82
    9 years ago

That seems very excessive! When we redid our kitchen, the install for undercabinet lights and lights in the corner cabinets was only a few hundred dollars. I bought my materials from inspiredled.com and they were so easy to install and the electrician fished the connections inside the wall and through the cabinets. Love the dimmable look of the led strips over pucks. Hope this helps

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"Also miscellaneous work SUCH AS changing outlets to gfci."

What is the other "miscellaneous" work? Without seeing what's spelled out in the bid, it's hard to judge. It does sound excessive for ONLY the things you've mentioned.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I can't imagine even Gibbons charging that much.

• zep516
    9 years ago

Get 2 more estimates !

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Changing an outlet to a GFCI one takes 5 minutes -- or less. The cost of the GFCI outlet is the biggest expense there. I installed mine myself. They install just like a regular outlet.

My entire labor (and some materials) for demolition, wall repair, flooring removal and replacement, putting in a new window in a new spot, relocating the gas range and dishwasher, installing all the cabinets, trim and appliances, wiring new outlets, moving the phone line, and installing undercabinet and ceiling light ran just over $9000 -- for a small, one sink, no island kitchen. I supplied the flooring, cabinets, lights, sink and appliances. They supplied the window, wall materials including insulation, wiring, plumbing, trim etc.

So yes, unless there are some extraordinary problems to be dealt with, your estimate is high.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

Sounds high to me. I already had the wiring that only needed small changes. We installed 4 strips. It cost me right at $900 and probably the biggest waste of $900 ever spent on a redo

• salonv
    9 years ago

I am looking at installing under cabinet lighting ( backsplash is already installed which makes it more of a project). I got one "rough" estimate for installing 3 runs of light and switch for approx. $700/ including materials.
    This is a bit more than I hoped, but I suspect it's reasonable. Your estimate sounds high.

• melissaki5
    9 years ago

Um I paid 2500 for new electric in my family room, about 10 cans, under cabinet lighting, running electric to an outdoor shed, and installing a bunch of new outlets in my kitchen. My house was gutted at the time so I'm sure that made the work easier and we paid for some of the materials. So yea I'd say that was high. I'm in Chicago burbs btw. So prices may be not as high as east coast.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Our transformer was installed by our GC, and the lights by our handyman but we estimate the total cost for 10' of lighting (purchase and installation) was maybe $5-600. It would be more for more lights but not double for double the amount of lighting because some of the work would already have been done.

• JAAune
    9 years ago

It would depend upon the light fixtures themselves. Do you know what brand and model LED lights were bid for the job? Premium LED's on a 12 volt system from a company like Hera Lighting are very expensive but they also put out a lot more light than cheaper fixtures.

With LED's there's a trade-off between getting the latest and brightest tech and paying through the nose or saving money and sticking with yesterday's technology.

If you're just getting generic LED's like those available in home improvement centers then they aren't worth that price tag.

I wouldn't suggest asking the bidder to substitute cheaper fixtures though. It's best to let them use the products they're familiar with. If you aren't satisfied with the value of what they offer, look for another contractor that is used to working with lower-priced LED products.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

I already posted, but want to add, I feel the money I spent on under cabinet light was money wasted.

We didn't do tape lighting. We did kichler led strip. They are nice, but really serve no purpose...I suppose that's just my opinion. Maybe after I get a pretty backsplash, I will feel differently?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Our LED tape lighting provides excellent task lighting.