Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Upscale appliance stores - Boston Area

oldbat2be
11 years ago

My goal is to get a good deal on a Liebherr/Sub Zero/Thermador fridge, so I'm looking for a store with an outlet, or stores which install a lot of these fridges and which may periodically have items which have been returned and which they are selling at a discount. (I.E., new and unused but not in the box perhaps).

I know about Yale Appliance... any other suggestions? We're north of Boston but are willing to drive at least a couple hours to go pick something up. I'm hoping for some names of other stores which I can then start calling regularly. Best, oldbat2be

Comments (7)

• soibean
    11 years ago

I got my Thermador columns from the Yale outlet...but you might also try Jarvis - I think they have a few locations. If you're open to it, you should check eBay as well. A lot of reputable liquidators have those units. That's how I got the rest of my appliances.

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

I would agree with Jarvis (they have a location in Wellesley I think). You might also want to try AAA Appliance in Jamaica Plain. Also, another poster on GW referred me to Kahians which has several MA locations. I haven't used them but they are supposed to have good pricing.

oldbat2be thanked MarinaGal
  • breezygirl
    11 years ago

I noticed on your other thread on your comments back to me that you would be looking for a BI fridge deal like I did. Because I wasn't sure of appliance stores in some of the larger cities around me when I was looking for a SZ glass all-fridge, I went to the SZ website and searched for appliance stores in my region. Then I put the names and numbers on a spread and started calling. There were appliance stores I had never heard of before. I did the same with T'dor just in case I might see a deal, but the few stores in my area that carried SZ also carried T'dor.

In the end, I still couldn't stomach the discounted price of the glass SZ (can you say $8K is a discount??) so ended up buying my BI KA on eBay.

oldbat2be thanked breezygirl
  • jscout
    11 years ago

When it comes to high-end stuff, Yale has the best "outlet" in NE. I think they have the highest volume in that range and as a result, generate the most outlet items.

You say you know about Yale, but have you visited the store? If you haven't, take a trip down and take a look. Don't just call. On your visit, establish a relationship with one of the sales reps. That way, you will be familiar to someone on the inside who can keep you in mind when stuff comes in. I bought most of my appliances from Yale and the rep kept me in the loop whenever anything remotely close to what I was looking for came into the outlet.

Someone already mentioned Eurostoves and Jarvis, but Poirier in Norwood and KAM in Hanover are a couple others to check out. They're more hit/miss. One place I don't recommend is AAA Appliance in JP. Not because they're bad or anything. They're actually really nice. But they don't have much in the way of "outlet" items.

oldbat2be thanked jscout
  • soibean
    11 years ago

One other plus for Yale - I bought my fridge and freezer columns separately. The fridge was last year's model, still in the box, but the freezer was a return of a custom panel model. I went through the installation instructions with a fine-toothed comb and identified a bunch of parts that were missing for the install. The sales rep has been fantastic in getting me the replacement parts. You could view this as good or bad - I got a used unit missing some parts (why didn't they check?), but also good - they live up to their reputation for good service. I feel better knowing that I got a full warranty from them and they stand behind their stuff.

oldbat2be thanked soibean
  • drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

The Jarvis in Wellesley has all of those appliances but I'm not sure about returned/floor model availability. Their response to our two service calls (in the 5 weeks since we moved in) has not been speedy, but it's been good once they got around to us. They adjusted the Capital Culinarian burners for us so that we can now simmer, and just today fixed our GE SpaceMaker (I think that's what it's called) microwave, nine days after we contacted them about it.

My two cents.

oldbat2be thanked drbeanie2000