Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atweis

Farm Sink positioning on cabinet

atweis
16 years ago

It might be a personal preference type of issue, but is there a general rule as to how far the farm sink should sit in front (proud) of the cabinet it's sitting on, for an undermount position. Right now I have it set about an inch forward and it looks fine, jsut wondering if there's a rule of thumb as to positioning. Thanks in advance.

Adam

Comments (16)

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

It is just personal preference.

My cabinetmaker thinks it looks better farther out (past the curve of the side), but I want it back more (so I'm not hitting my hip on it in my teeny work area). But I'll position it both ways to see what I like...

One advantage to having it out more is that if your sink is wonky and uneven (like my Shaw's is), having it stick out father allows you to do more shimming and tinkering with the level of it. The farther out it sticks, it creates a shadow underneath it, and this helps hide any amount that is not level with the cabinet under it. Does that make sense?

So I might have to pull mine out a bit more than I'd like to compensate for the wonkiness of it...

Francy

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

Adam-
    I have two Rohl Shaws. They sit proud more than what people usually tend to see. The front of the sink sits about 4 inches from the front of the cabinet box (not from the door front!).

At my main sink, it gave the the advantage of a roomy deck in back so I didn't have to worry about any faucet levers being too tight to the wall. I am glad to have the prep sink sitting that far out because of the handle on the Advantium. The sink sits about as far out as the handle so I don't end up crashing into the handle!

I think you can see that in this picture:

{{gwi:1472685}}

The sink sits about 2 1/2 inches from the counter edge:

{{!gwi}}

HTH!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I made mine even with the overlay doors beneath.

With the outward flare of the top, I wouldn't have wanted it out any farther.
    Casey

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

Atweis - thank you for posting this thread. I have been wondering the same thing and trying to decide what I will do. I know I want mine to sit proud of the cabinet as well, and Francy's point about the wonkiness is well taken. Momto4kids and Casey - THANKS for the photos. By any chance do you have any photos of what is underneath your sink, behind your cabinet doors (not the stuff - LOL - but the support for the sink, if it is visible)?

Now I'm just hoping my new sink arrives undamaged!!!!

• imrainey
    16 years ago

It's a bit hard to see in mine because so much is still unfinished but here it is:

In my kitchen the cabinet is set back the depth of the legs and the sink is only proud of them a tiny bit. But the cabinet set-back acts like the toe kick. The only actual toe kick on the sink cab is the depth of the Tapmaster with a valance around that.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I supported the sink with 2x4 rails screwed/glued into the sides and back of the base cabinet, and a carefully placed screw into the oak face frame (so it did not come through the outside face).
    This was done while the cabinet was still loose, so the screws go in through the plywood ends and into the 2x4. It's very solid. If I did not have that option, I'd have put legs underneath the rails. Put the rails in just a little low, so you can shim the sink up to the counter top. It's much worse to have to plane a little from the rails when setting the sink- very inconvenient.
    Casey

• momto4kids
    16 years ago

I thought I had some interior pictures in my construction files, but I can't seem to find them. Here's a shot...don't know if it helps any...of the sink sitting atop the base before the rest of the cabinets and counters were put in. My DWs actually flank the sink. The base cab next to the sink was used to measure height of the sink base/sink so everything would be level before counters were installed. BTW, if I remember correctly, that was my second sink base. I think the first one was too tall. I seem to remember the second one came in not quite right and the carpenter rebuilt the cabinet and reordered doors to the exact size. The actual size of these sinks do vary some from the specs...so there was some reworking onsite. I did have both of my sinks onsite for the carpenters...which is crucial to the process!

My base sides are essentially "lined" with a thicker sheet of wood (about an inch). Then there's a sheet of wood that goes across the top of the cabinet (under the sink). So I definitely lost interior space, but that wasn't a big deal.

{{!gwi}}

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

Mine's about 1-1/2" proud of my cabinet but the sink cabinet is also bumped out by 4". It's completely comfortable as it brings the sink out to you. It's also an upmount so I have the height just as I want it.

When it's proud of the cabinet it can be a bit more work to install if precisely scribed cradle is cut in the cabinet front but I had a super installer who got it done to perfection.

The double bump out is quite nice because it gives me a lot of space between the back of the faucet and the backsplash -- no crowding and no wet "trough" areas there at all.

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

Thanks for the pics and descriptions. I wish I knew more about construction! It would be so helpful during this process. :)

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Question for Momto4, if you are still following this thread...

I spent hours yesterday tinkering with the positioning of my sink--skooching it forward and backward; shimming it up and down. My sink is wonky and blemished, and these defects have to be accounted for.

So I think I want my counter to hit in the same spot where your main sink does (just before the curve). Thus, I think my sink will also be very proud, like yours (except that mine will have a negative reveal). My husband thinks the sink just looks weird sticking out this far. I can't decide. I'm not used to it like this. Did it take you a few weeks to get used to it?

Do you feel like you "lose" any of the sink when the counter stops 1.5" from the front end (vs having the counter extend all the way to the front of the sink)? Is it awkward to reach near the back counter?

If I push my sink back, then I lose counter depth. And given that my counters are currently at a measley 24" (that's with the very proud sink), I'm not too happy about pushing the sink back. I want that counter space!

But it just looks a bit odd to me...

Then again, you are something of a "kitchen hero" around these parts, and if YOU did it, it must be ok, right??

:-)

Oh--for anyone considering a very proud sink, make sure your garbage disposal fits! Ours will barely fit with the sink in its current position (since it is so close to the cabinet doors). But it does fit.

Francy

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

Hope you don't mind my providing another opinion here.

With a negative reveal undermount, I'd double check where the counter ends in relation to the curve so you don't have an area that gives you gunk on the front edge of the counter. IOW it shouldn't hang inside too far.

Also, with sinks that sit proud it's easy to forget to check to see what's on each side of the sink to be sure nothing like a drawer, or the side of the dishwasher is being blocked in any way.

Also, since doing a bump out creates a focal point, I'd want my sink to be centered nicely, or some consideration given in advance to sightlines. When sinks are on aisles rather than sitting in the open (don't know which yours will be) it's easy to overlook that. Mine sits out in the open.

Both my sink and cabinet bump out -- I have a double. So all that had to be taken into account. There is about 8 inches between my faucets and the wall.

I really like the sink proud of the base -- it's about 1-1/2"-- as it's very easy to get into it (slightly less leaning in). I don't feel I lose sink, I gain it.

However I wouldn't pull it so far out that it makes it troublesome in any way to get into the cabinet doors below. Usually there isn't all that much space between the underside of the bump out and the top of the doors. Just another thing to double check.

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

Does the sink feel really low? I don't know if it's because most of the cabs in our house are on the tall side (and I am short) but now that our sink is in (a 3618) it seems so low. Part of it is the 10" depth I'm sure...I know our cabs are standard height...

In any event, we are going about 2 inches proud of the cabs. Hopefully the granite (which will be installed on Tuesday - knock on wood) will hit it before the curve (that is the goal). The granite fabricator is going to cut the edge detail by the sink here since these sinks are so peculiar. Again - knock on wood!

It is a gorgeous sink, though!!! :)

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Thank you Rococo (btw, I don't think I've ever seen your sink--do you have a photo?)!

I think I've finally decided on a position. I have literally spent hours and hours on this--moving, marking, measuring, shimming, etc. I am constrained by several factors. Most importantly, my overhang must be 1.5", and the counter has to sit at a "pretty point" on the sink curve.

After searching through the Shaw's, and M. Tex brochures, I've decided to line up the counter with the inside front edge of the sink. I probably have slightly more of a "gunk collector" that I would ideally choose, but if I pull the sink out more, it hurts my back to reach behind it. So my sink is about 2" proud.

From the side:

From the top/front:

So many details to consider! I hope this thread will be of future help to farm sink installers!

Francy

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

Francy, there is an entire page of farm sink installations with every type of reveal and notes over in the Sink Gallery on atticmag.com; mine included.

Yours looks very good in the pix above. My only question for you is: how far does your countertop material extend over the front edge of the dw cabinet next to the sink, or will it be flush?

Is there a substrate or does the countertop material sit directly on top of the cabinet and the sink edge?

What happens in back? Will it be pieced in or will there be a neck?

Don't forget about the seams on the countertop (if it's stone). They need to be queried & planned.

Also, check your corners. Your sink looks fine so best to double-check everything else. We all tend to look at the top but it also needs to be looked at from the front -- straight on.

social, mine doesn't feel low but I'm 5'7". If you go with a grid that will raise the bottom for you a bit if it feels low.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

The overhang at the dishwasher (shown by the old cabinet door in the photo) is 1.5" (which gives me a total counter depth of 24"--a number I clung to like crazy--wasn't willing to lose any depth.)

My Shaw's was unbelievably wonky. One front corner is a full 1/4" lower than the other 3! So the left side of the sink (not shown in the photo) is shimmed up to make the sink level. Then, b/c it sits so proud, the shadow created at the bottom hides the fact that it is shimmed. I've pretty much levelled it in all directions--forwards, backwards, sideways, diagonal.

There will be about 6.5" of counter (soapstone) behind it (faucet is wall mounted). That is where the seam will be.

*Whew* I think it will finally all work out! Except that the stone guys weren't able to come and do the template today. They are coming monday morning. And my 2 little boys are under strict orders not to lay a finger on that precisely positoned sink!

Thanks again for your help! I've studied all those sinks in the gallery over the years. I guess I never recognized yours!

Francy