Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maju785

Wet bar near kitchen with pass through stuck in 80's

maju785
11 years ago

I am really sorry for the long post but I was hoping someone can advise.

We have an old wet bar near kitchen which has a square pass through window with a serving bar inside family room. the bar top is old marble tile in etched glory which is black with old black sink and brass faucet all kohler. It also was wrapped in mirror which we removed and repaired dry wall. We are updating the house slowly getting it out of 80' debrassing and toning down oak. We are currently staining out kitchen cabinet which has baltic brown granite top. the bar area is 93/24 inches the pass through 53 inches long and 4 ft in height. There is also soffit above the bar. This is an weight bearing wall.

Now here are my options:

1. Replace bar top with baltic brown granite and stainless steel sink and orb faucet.

2. Open up the are more extending to 92 inches and upto the soffit which is at 8 ft from ground replace top etc which will involve rein forcing the load bearing wall. This will make this look like a free standing bar area and make it part of family room and open up to the rest of the house but a considerable cost .

3. Do nothing try to clean up marble tiles and think more.

This is my only brass fixture in first floor now except door knobs. So it is looking at me and while I have people in the house working on he cabinets I can work this out. The upper wall above pass through is also crooked if that jelps. Please suggest if this cowt is justified and any ramifications involving the load bearing wall. I will cross post in kitchen forum.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comments (2)