Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dejongdreamhouse

Show me your walk-in pantry lighting

dejongdreamhouse
12 years ago

We're in the home stretch of our new house build. Still working on a few lights, including our 9' x 9'10 pantry. There isn't a window, so I want to be sure to get good lighting. What's lighting up your walk-in pantry?

Comments (24)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

We used something similar to this (14" diameter) in our 7X7 closets and our 8X8 pantry. The lighting is definitely sufficient. The key is to make sure there are three bulbs not two. HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: something like this light- ceiling mounted

• dejongdreamhouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

brianadarnell, good thinking with the 3 light option. I'll keep that in mind.

Joyce, thank you for the reminder. I need to check on the auto on (or whatever it's called!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Small recessed for function, and a vintage french darkroom light for looks. My first choice was the one in the link, but it was too big. So i got the darkroom one from Skinflint UK, which has vintage indl stuff.

http://www.skinflintdesign.co.uk/store/ceiling_lights/french_darkroom_lights.html

Photo below.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: pantry light

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

mtnrdredux what is going on on your top pantry shelf? Are those little bunnies? I must know (if you don't mind sharing!) They are adorable!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Hi beagles,

Thanks. Yes, those are bunnies. They are napkin holders. They were from Wms Sonoma. The bunny ears are very very fragile. I put them there when i was unpacking and decided to leave them. Then the kids used them for a dinner party and put them back a little wrong, but I am trying to be normal.

PS I need to go thru my photos of furniture to put the ones we are selling in a separate Photobucket album. As soon as I do I will send you the link. Ive not forgotten!

• bacin0
    12 years ago

My walk in pantry (not functional yet) will be about 5 and 1/2 feet by 12 feet and there are no windows for natural light. Because of this we installed 3 evenly spaced overhead recessed lights which seems to be very good. We also put the lights on a dimmer. The pantry will also be used for our dogs water and food so I will always keep it on dim unless the humans are using it.

• andi_k
    12 years ago

We will have a 7x5ish walk in pantry and are doing a couple recessed lights. We are also doing the motion sensor...I think that is such a great feature... esp with kids!

Mtnrdredux - can you share more pix of your pantry? I think I want that similar set up where there is counter space and shelves above. How deep are the counters/shelves?

• willtv
    12 years ago

Here's a shot of ours.

The door to the left is the rear entrance to the house.
    Although it's hard to see in this shot, the door to the garage is to the right.
    The pantry is about 4'x9' but with all the doorways, the useable space is more like 4'x5'.
    The picture is taken from the kitchen.
    It get's good light during the day and at night the recessed cans and undercab lights do a great job.
    Since we have such a small kitchen, the countertop comes in handy for prep during major cooking events like parties and holiday meals.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

We put in recessed lights. However, you could put in a chandelier like SharB did! See a pic about 1/3 to 1/2 down the thread.

Actually, I linked it for two reasons...(1) the chandelier and (2) the topic...pantry ventilation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: I have a pantry suggestion... Ventilate!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Andi K -

I dont have any, I will try to take some tomorrow and do some measuring.

Mtn

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

Thanks mtnrdredux. I just checked the site and it doesn't seem they have the bunnies any more :( Oh well. I've set an alert on ebay in case anyone decides to sell theirs, it looks like even ebay only has the holiday bunnies and I want the white. I have the lenox butterfly meadows set with a bunny creamer and the napkin rings would have been perfect with it. And no rush on the pictures, whenever you get them up, just send me the link- I figured it would take a while to get everything together :)

Oh, and to actually answer the question in this thread, we have a chandelier planned for our walk-in-pantry. No pictures yet since it isn't hung yet :)

• dejongdreamhouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Buehl, thanks for the link about ventilation. We're meeting with our GC tomorrow. We do have a freezer and appliances in our pantry, so the ventilation issue could be an important one. However, we are using no VOC materials and I keep all my food in sealed containers, so maybe that's enough...

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I installed this Commercial Electric 3" Brushed Nickel Halogen Recessed Light from Home Depot in my new (in progress) walk in pantry / storage area and my laundry room. I'm not entirely pleased with the quality based on some difficulty with installation. However, (as you can see) they were very inexpensive, have a nice simple look, and provide a significant amount of light.

• jeri
    12 years ago

Willtv - you have 4 recessed lights as well as under cabinet lights? Are those can lights 4 inchers? Do you find 4 of these to be an overkill or just right?

Are your under cabinet lights on a separate switch? What kind are there?

• abbeys
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We are planning a ceiling mounted fixture - very simple, but has to be flousecsent to meet CA Title 24 requirements.

I wanted to comment on the question by Joyce 6333 about the light coming on and off when you open and close the door. This was suggested to us by the lighting consultant (ie; salesman). It is accomplished by using something called a "pressure switch", that is mounted in the hinge of the door. I think when the pressure is relieved (by opening the door), the light somes on. When the door closes, the pressure is back, and the light goes off. It didn't sound like a big deal to do, but I'm not sure how easy it is to retrofit. Hope that helps. I thought it was a neat idea. (It also counts as an energy saving device for the CA Title 24 calculation).

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

My Pantry is fairly large 8x20 and I have a sink in it. So I did a pendant over the sink and recess lights in the ceiling.

• dejongdreamhouse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow....that is a fabulous pantry!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Andi K,

My wood counter is about 12" deep, and the shelf is 11 1/4. Some photos below.

One of my fave things is the swinging door ( which stays open too if you prefer).
    {{!gwi}}

Head on:
    {{!gwi}}

Left
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}Right (freezer drawers on bottom)
    {{!gwi}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Kalapointer -
    I love your library, er pantry er baking center er kitchen annex ! How luxe! Have we seen your kitchen? Id love to.

• willtv
    12 years ago

jeri,
    The recessed cans are 3" 50W MR16 low voltage halogen. The ceiling is low at 7'3" so we thought that 4" cans would be too large.
    Also keep in mind that the space is small.
    The cabinets take up an area that is 4'x5'.
    The triple doorway area is 4'x3'.
    The undercab lights are Emeralight LED 12V strips.
    We don't find the lights to be overkill although we can dim them when and if necessary.

kalapointer, Not only is your pantry gorgeous, it's bigger that my entire kitchen and pantry combined!

• billy_g
    12 years ago

In our walk-in pantry we installed an occupancy sensor on the lights so they turn on when you walk into the pantry and turn off when you leave -- all hands-free. You can adjust the time delays and on-times on the sensor. There's also a wall switch so you can turn off the light when sneaking in there at night for some chocolate...

We put a pocket door on the pantry to maximize space and this door usually stays open, so we put the occupancy sensor on the ceiling just inside the door so it is not tripped when you're walking down the hallway -- you have to actually step inside the pantry to turn on the lights.

Billy

• andi_k
    12 years ago

Mtnrdredux - love that door! Thanks so much for the extra pix and measurements....very helpful...it looks great!

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

Hi, ICFGreen
    Our pantry is 100 years old, the adjacent kitchen is new, with monorail lighting. So we installed a steampunk-influenced light with six lamps on it that would illuminate both cupboards on either side of a ?5 x ?10 foot pantry. The halogen lights are on a dimmer. We had this one made by Art Donovan after we saw a similar one in his studio, Donovan Design, on Long Island.

{{!gwi}}

Lynn