Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You know how horizontal striped shirts make the wearer look wide?

Posted by LongTimeLurker (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 8:29

They say horizontal striped shirts aren't always flattering as they can make you look wider. So... does that logic apply to kitchen backsplashes?? My kitchen is small, roughly 12 x 14 feet. I was set on 4x4 inch square backsplash tiles but my tile guy said he'd to 3x6 subways. I think what I don't like about subway tiles is that it draws the eye into seeing sort of horizontal lines. But... in a small kitchen, do you think that would make it look a tiny bit bigger? :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You know how horizontal striped shirts make the wearer look w

I have a smaller kitchen than you (10x10) with subways along my range wall. I don't really think it makes my kitchen look wider. Remember, there are also vertical lines as well, so they seem to cancel each other out. While my grout is somewhat darker than the tile (creamy white), it isn't high contrast, so the grout doesn't draw attention to itself. My backsplash is more of a homogenous wall.

It might depend more on the color of your backsplash next to your other elements and its all-over shape and size.

o

If the horizontal lines are supported by other strong horizontal linear statements, yes, it can increase the sense of spaciousness. By itself, no, subway tiles won't work miracles into transforming a cozy kitchen into an expansive one. Look at other "tricks" beyond just subway tile if you want the maximum eye foolery. Such as doing lighter colors on the top cabinets, darker on the bottom, and diagonal flooring layout. Light reflective surfaces also increase the sense of space, so a higher sheen on the cabinets, walls, or backsplashes can help that as well. Minimize the number of focal points and don't try for "statements". Clean and de-cluttered always looks larger than full of tchockes and visual noise.

o

Mirrored backsplash if you can handle the clean-up? Or maybe backpainted glass.

o

Add a pencil line into the subway tile. For me it adds length.

This kitchen doesn't need length but the pencil line reinforces it.

Without the black line I think this tub area would look smaller.

o

However, I can' t imagine having a lot of stuff on the counter that's then reflected.

o

nosoccermom, yikes! Plus always seeing from chin to waist as you work. No thanks. :)

o

LOL linelle, you'd watch your waistline grow as you cook and cook and cook in your new kitchen...! Actually, maybe a mirrored backsplash would help me make healthier choices!

o

That mirrored one would surely make me less likely to "taste" as I go along!!!

o

I would need to dress up just to cook. I doubt my old tshirts and sweatpants would look to good in the reflection.

o

You could check to see if you had spinach in your teeth. But then we'd need a thread titled "Show me your kitchen dental floss storage!!" I think an undercounter one like the paper towel holder would be nice.

o

Our second bath had wallpaper with one of those horizontal borders. The hideousness aside, when I redid the bath, now 10 y.a., I went with white subways. It's not a big bath -- maybe 10 x 12 but the directional subways made it look much larger. So much so that when the original owner of the house came to see what we had done and couldn't believe we hadn't increased the size. So the answer to the OP's question is "yes," in IME.

But in small spaces, I like to keep it simple and minimize contrast in things like pencil liners or contrasting wall color. LWO gave you some very good suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here