Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leathered granite seams

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 8:21

I'm narrowing down my granite choice. One of my choices is a leathered antique brown. My fabricator told me that if the surface of the granite has texture to it, as in leathered, that I will be able to feel a "lip" at the seam. It sounded like she was trying to disuade me from choosing a leathered stone. I don't know much about this. Should I not consider a leathered stone? Or is she just warning me so I don't complain later?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leathered granite seams

I am a fabricator.

A "leathered" finish typically has some texture to it which means a perfectly flush joint at a seam is impossible.

" Or is she just warning me so I don't complain later" - your fabricator is actually doing her job by making sure you understand what you will be getting BEFORE granite is cut. Many fabricators don't do this well. The fact that yours is taking the time to educate you speaks well for how professional they are.

o

My leathered granite has a seam that isn't the best-looking thing out there. Fortunately, I only have one seam and it is mostly covered by the drying mat next to my sink. The front edges of my granite are honed, and the seam looks much better on the front edge. Just think about how many seams you will have and how prominent they will be.

o

I have a leathered granite and my seams are barely visible.

o

My antique brown leathered granite goes in tomorrow. This wasn't mentioned to me, but it does make sense. We did talk about how they'd hone the edges. I'll post a pic tomorrow with my feedback on the seam too if you want.

o

oldryder,

My understanding is that leathered/suede finishes like this must be mitered, and that some irregular counter contours are difficult/impossible with miter (like large radius corners or seating areas, for example). Is that right?

o

- sstrazisar

My fabricator has a great reputation in my town and has worked at my sister's house. The work looks great, but I just haven't ever seen a leathered seam, so YES, I would like to see your pictures. Thanks!

o

I will strayer. Won't be today though, they postponed me another day. And forgot to call and tell me, but that's a rant for another post!

o

My sister has the black leathered granite and her seam is not even noticeable. I love the look of the leathered granite!

o

Here's mine.

o

@sstrazisar they did a terrible job of matching that seam up. Yikes!

o

What happened with that seam? Is that related to being leathered or some other issue?

o

sstrazisar - oh my, what's going on with that seam??? They did a bad job in matching the seam!

strayer - sstrazisar's is a bad seam match, but that doesn't really have anything to do with it being leathered. A leathered surface means that there are small "dimples" in the surface of the granite...it's much like a piece of regular leather (not like a glove leather which is very smooth). What can be an issue with a leathered granite seam (as I understand it) is that the little dimples will be in different areas when butting up against the seam, so the seam should ideally be completely flush (in the case of a very smooth granite), but there will be slightly uneven areas when two pieces of leathered granite go together since the leathering texture won't necessarily line up between the two pieces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here