Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guy_in_newhouse

leathered soapstone

guy_in_newhouse
15 years ago

Has anyone lived with leathered soapstone...if so, any issues? Any issues keeping it looking like you bought it(aside from some character-induced flaws from normal wear)?

I'm leaning toward soapstone for the kitchen countertops & windows sills and looked at a number of slabs yesterday. One supplier had leathered finish, very dark green (when wet with water) that was gorgeous. Great smooth feel to it and yet had the visual interest of the slightly raised veining.

The stone would be with lightly-stained, natural cherry cabs & navajo-white 3 inch on-center beadboard peninsula.

thanks..

Comments (11)

• lucypwd
    15 years ago

Do you think it is a true soapstone? I saw lots of "leathered or river wash granite" but not soapstone. It is much softer and I don't know how it would hold up with use. I ended up going with a leathered granite in the powder room and a river washed granite on the perimeter of the kitchen. I love soapstone,but just ended up choosing something else. I didn't want the shiny hotel look of polished granite so I love the leathered granite. I also love the look and feel of soapstone. I can't imagine why one would leather" soapstone as the texture already feels so great.
    what would you use for a backsplash?

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

I would think the biggest issue would be the inevitable scratches that would occur and how you would handle that. A traditional matte finish soapstone can just be sanded out by the homeowner, whereas the specialty finishes like leathering aren't readily reproducible in the home. That would mean if you sanded out a scratch, that it would have a different finish than the rest of your countertop. Magnify that by a couple of years of use. It's going to look hodgepodge, even with oiling, until you have it professionally refinshed. That's not an expense or hassle that I would personally want to deal with. Obviously, leathered granite doesn't have the same issues as it's much much harder.

• guy_in_newhouse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lucy..not sure on the backsplash yet, but I was looking at soapstone rather than granite.

livewire..the scratches is why I asked & for the same reason as you've described. Beautiful material, but it may not stand the test of the real world like normal soapstone. Looks like normal soapstone is in the cards for me.

thanks,

• southern_2008
    15 years ago

Just got back from the granite yard (5th time) and they showed me a leathered green soapstone which they also called a granite. They said it's really a granite. It's so hard to tell when so many stones have so many different names. Anyone have any more pics of cream cabinets with green soapstone (esp leathered) countertops?

• florida_mimi
    15 years ago

We've done a couple of leathered soapstone countertops and Joshua is out actually doing a leathered kitchen today. The leathering process does not affect the integrity of the soapstone, it's just a texture difference.

The typical customer who likes the leathered soapstone tends to leave it unoiled and they also don't mind the scratches in the stone since the leathered stone looks pretty rustic to begin with. We actually have the diamond brushes in house so we can leather any type of soapstone and we also have some quarry leathered stone as well.. I personally like our finishes better since we can make the stone look more or less dramatic.

I personally have a leathered piece on a wine rack and really enjoy it.. but it's a wine rack, not a complete kitchen and I've left it unoiled. I agree with the mindset that if you don't want the scratches and sanded them the countertop would look hodge-podge.

below are some pictures... just in case you change your mind :)
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• guy_in_newhouse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice pics...I can feel it just by looking at it. Awesome material.

But alas, I'm an oiler & taking a chance on it not looking good for the long term would probably keep me awake at night.

I have another question on soapstone...but I'm start another thread.

• southern_2008
    15 years ago

Thank you, Florida Mimi. Those pics looks great. That looks like a green...am I right?

• florida_mimi
    15 years ago

It's amazing how Soapstone can take on the tones of what's around it....

The first pic was of Python which is real black when oiled
    The second of Black Venata which also tends to have more black tones.. and the third is of Brazilian Black which normally shows a lot of green.. but in this picture looks almost pure black.

• skathm
    6 years ago

We have leathered soapstone in our cabin. It is beautiful. People come over and can't help but touch the countertop. It feels amazing. And looks better. But not a lot of fabricators have experience with this product. We learned the hard way while installing leathered soapstone in our new home.

• detailaddict
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm making the same type of decision as we just made a 10-hour round trip to view leathered Churchill soapstone slabs. I like the veining they contain (which is more than I've seen elsewhere lately) but the leathering makes them feel something akin to reptile skin - very bumpy - and several of the whitish veins are gouged out so that they look and feel like deep scratches. I use the kitchen a LOT so I can see the value in having a surface that can hide the nicks and bumps but this degree of texture may be more than what I can live with. I've liked the leathered granites and quartzes I've seen (and these are not options for various reasons) so I expected to like leathered soapstone but even if the leathering was done correctly I'm debating whether to keep looking.