Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kornmesser

Backsplash Design Inputs - Brick Travertine w/ Quartzite mosaic

kornmesser
15 years ago

I am looking for opinions on our Backsplash plan. We are thinking a light tan travertine brick pattern on the top and bottom and a 5" wide Quartzite Mosaic in the middle of the 2 layers of Bricks. The Brick pattern is the 3" by 6". I have 2 pictures that you can link to on Shutterfly. One is my rendering of what it "should" look like using adobe phototshop. The right side of the picture shows if we did a 6X12" travertine pattern. The left side is if we did the 3x6" travertine pattern.

I think it looks good, but would love any opinions. Is this too busy? Make sure you look at picture # 2 since that is the rendition of how it will look when we cut the mosaic into 5" strips.

Here is the link: share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CbNmrFsyaMyE

Regina

Comments (11)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I like it very much. Your granite is dark but not busy and the dark color in the mosaic tile picks up on the granite color beautifully. Great choice!

(I am getting an error on the shutterfly site so I can't view the second picture in a larger size)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I like it alot! Warm, traditional with a contemporary twist, and matches the cabs/countertops beautifully. Congratulation on a job well done!

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

I love the mosiac. Would you be willing to share the name and manufacturer?

• raehelen
    15 years ago

When I saw the first picture, I thought, that mosaic looks perfect, why not just go with that. But then I do like the photo-shopped 5" strip with the travetine brick too. I'm assuming that 5" is two strips of the mosaic pattern? Looks like an awesome match for your granite!

• Marcia B
    15 years ago

I love your design! Please do post the name/make of the mosaic. We still need to tile around our master br fireplace and I think that might work.

We also combined travertine tiles with glass mosiacs for our old world kitchen

pattern{{!gwi}}

finished
    {{gwi:1596267}}

• marty_2008
    15 years ago

Love it. It looks perfect.

• busybme
    15 years ago

I really like your backsplash choices. The colors are beautiful and I hope that you will share what the name of the mosaic is...it's yummy!

Just 2 comments: going soley by your photshopped images, I like the layout on the left better. Also, I would consider adding a listello between the brick and the mosaic to help define the design. (I think that's what they call the long skinny 'border' pieces of tile.)

It's really going to be beautiful!

Sandy

• organic_nettie
    15 years ago

marciab

Do you have Venetian Gold granite? It looks like ours. I am having a hard time putting a color together, and I was looking at the glass inserts but they were too red. What color tile and glass do you have, and where did you get it? It looks great.

• nwpepper
    15 years ago

Love the material selections - the mosaic really ties into the granite well. I would lower the mosaic so that it runs completely under the window - perhaps one row of 3" high brick, the mosaic, and then 3 rows of 3 " brick. Then the backsplash is not cut in half and the mosaic can run in a continuous line.

Also like busybme's idea for the skinny border tile - think she means something like what marciab10 shows above.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Regio makes a nice mosaic tile that has glass inserts. The glass is frosted so blends so well with tumbled travertine. I'll be using it with my 4" tiles as an accent strip.

Here is a link that might be useful: Regio Tile

• Marcia B
    15 years ago

organic_nettie

Our granite is Persian Sand. I think its similar to Venetian Gold.

We got all our backsplash tile from The Tile Shop. I can't find the receipt with the exact names of what we bought there, but the strips with the glass, we 'modified'. They orignally had light green glass tiles in them, which we didn't like, so we found a sheet of small amber glass tiles, and replaced the green with the amber. Worked great!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone