Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgirl24

Answer Today-Soapstone Sealed?

NCGirl24
9 years ago

Hi everyone-

First time poster-long lurker. I've gotten a ton of info here from y'all and thought I would avoid this kind of rush in my kitchen Reno but apparently not. Counter fabrication starts today and finalizing sealant on marble. In the response fabricator says soapstone will be sealed. But I've read here that it should not be? I want the option to both wax or go a natural. Thanks for any insight. DuPont product if that matters.

Comments (13)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

No on sealing soapstone says this soapstone lover and owner.

• tina kauh
    9 years ago

my understanding was that soapstone is non-porous so it doesn't need to be sealed. we installed soapstone a couple of months ago and didn't seal it, only waxed when it was first installed.

• User
    9 years ago

While soapstone does not need to be sealed, it does not harm the stone or cause any issues. Using a color enhancing sealant on soapstone darkens the stone and allows water to bead up just like on any other stone. I have soapstone throughout my house, all from Alberene in the US, and it is all sealed. I was reluctant to try a sealant because of what I had read here but when my fabricator recommended it I decided to test it on some samples (samples of the Alberene and some from Brazil). My stone has been in for over 5 years with no issues. For me, I tried oiling a few pieces before sealing them to see the difference, I like the look and feel of the sealant the best. The stone still looks matte but feels so nice, I never cared for the feel with the oil or the maintenance to keep it evenly dark. But, make sure that this is what you want before the sealer is applied because once you seal it would take some work to get the sealant off. I would suggest trying sealant on some samples along with oil and wax to see what you like best or just leave the counters unsealed until you are sure, the sealant can always be put on later.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

woops, duplicate post... wrong thread

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 22:12

• vwhippiechick
    9 years ago

We also sealed our Amazon soapstone at the recommendation of the vendor. I was reluctant due to the info here but I agree with Athomeinva, I really like the look.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

What the what?! That's rad!!! I've never seen anything like it - I can't wait to see the finished product!!!

• NCGirl24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks -- I'm nervous but excited! My KD managed to turn the one piece of flawed marble I could afford into two islands, range wall counter, and master vanity with this design!

• Auntie.Karen
    9 years ago

Very cool! To me, soapstone looks like "reverse" marble, but I never thought of using them together. Lovely.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Very unique, but I'm curious... it looks in the photo that the marble is sitting on top of the soapstone, or standing proud and not set in flush? If so, seems to me like an odd edge to catch things on?

• jackfre
    9 years ago

I see no reason to seal it. It is non absorbent. I carved the turkey on the corner of our 38x92 island and there was plenty of mess. you can't see any sign of it now. In the 18 mos we have had the SS I have oiled it twice. Over time the edge of the island will get a bit darker than the center due to hand prints from everyone spending time there. I oil it once in a while to equalize the color, but as I live with it I become less concerned with it. Great material. Don't seal it!

• rgillman
    9 years ago

Why on earth would you ever need/want to seal the most impervious material on earth? I never oil it (unfortunately, it darkens naturally between the sink and the range and I use baking soda and rubbing alcohol to lighten it again). My island is the same beautiful light green it was the day I had it installed, 7 years ago. Nothing stains it: not even dyes.
    There is no reason to seal soapstone. Honestly.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I'm with raynag on this, there is really nothing to seal, because soapstone is non porous.
    Like putting plastic seat covers on beautiful leather...