Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peridot44

Fighting About Lighting

peridot44
11 years ago

No, we're not really fighting, we're debating. Please let me know whether you like the X positions on this drawing or the O positions on the drawing. One is mine and the other is my husbands. Whether X or O, they will be on dimmer.

All lights will be recessed cans. NO pendant above the island. However there WILL be a pendant above the main sink. (Not indicated here. We're only debating cans in the work area.)

The open space to the right of the island is the breakfast room with a ceiling fan + light above the table.

Also, at the bottom of the drawing, outside of view, is a litte bump out area with 2 recessed cans.

Uppers will include under cabinet lights.

Thanks.

Comments (22)

• deedles
    11 years ago

Depending on how much natural light you have in there... I'd probably go with the 0's adding the x over the island. But if it's a really bright kitchen, maybe that's overkill. What color are your cabs and flooring, etc. Will it tend to be a bright kitchen or darker? I'd think that would dictate the amount of lighting overall.

• peridot44
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, deedles. We'll have white cabinets, soapstone, and a hardwood floor.

And, in the time since I posted my question, the GC and electrician made the same recommendation that you did. :)

• deedles
    11 years ago

BOOM! Point for me!

See. It all works out. Wait, who is the x and who is the 0?

:)

• autumn.4
    11 years ago

I agree with deedles - and your gc. I think you'd really miss having a light over the island if you skip it.

Yes - who is X and who is 0?

• taggie
    11 years ago

Agree with Xs + Os, with the island X on a separate switch.

• bob_cville
    11 years ago

Personally I'd go with the O's, but then I'd add two pendants
    centered along the length of the island, spaced at 0.2 L and 0.8 L as show in my wonderful drawing below:

ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ +----------------------+
    island->ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ :ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ :
    ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ :ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ xÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ xÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ :
    ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ :ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ :
    ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ ÃÂ +----------------------+

• bob_cville
    11 years ago

The preview, showed the ASCII image fine, but submitting it made in all wonky.

Garden Web Admin People, What's the point of having a preview pane if what a user sees in the preview pane isn't what everyone will actually see when the posting is submitted?

Aargh

• peridot44
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Husband is X. I am O. :)

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I would recommend X with some pendant or Chandy above the island. Especially if you have a task lighting pendant over the sink, I think 6 cans making googly eyes may be too much light.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Peridot: so now he should give you a kiss and you should give him a hug since you were both somewhat correct separately and absolutely correct together! Two heads are better than one! What are your thoughts on not having a pendant? (btw, I'm voting no pendant over my peninsula so as to keep the thing wide open, visually speaking. Well as of NOW I'm voting that way, lol)

• peridot44
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right, deedles. We'll celebrate the "tie" with a hug and a kiss. ;-)

As for pendants, I just think they're eye-level clutter that disrupt the openness of a space. I tested my opinion by hanging some plastic cups at varying heights in the spot above the island. Yup. Hated them.

No fan of chandeliers in our kitchen, either. We only have 8 foot ceilings. So, I don't want anything to make it feel shorter.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Maybe I'm missing some light sources here, but cans, in order to light countertop work areas, need to be centered over the edge of the countertop. They don't work to light your counters if they are placed in the aisle behind the counters and, hence, your body.

How large is the island? It looks to me like you're going to need two cans above it.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Thought it was just me and I was missing something
    I would move the cans closer to the countertop and put a separate light/chandy over the island
    It is easier to wire now than later...
    In any case, I go with the Os but moved closer to the cabs
    Better to have too much than too little light in the kitchen!

• peridot44
    Original Author
    11 years ago

breezygirl, the X's and O's are not drawn in the exact spot where they'll end up. They'll be closer to the edges of/above the counters.

The island is 2' x 6'. Now you've got me thinking about 2 instead of 1.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

The first thing I noticed was there was no light over the sink. (There's a window, but that's no help when it's dark outside.) I would move the cans. One directly over sink. One in front of stove, one in front of fridge, one in front of the desk area (or is that a prep sink? if so, 2 over that area), then 2 over the island. I would probably put one over the counter to the left of the main sink too, as one centered over that sink will leave that counterspace kind of dark.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

I agree with deb52899 about two lights for the island. Our ceilings are only 89" and we put in two flush mounted "pendants" over our island. They only come down 12" or so, definitely not at eye level even for my tall husband! Our island is not as big as some, at 36" x 60" + countertop overhang, but we still felt we needed two lights, and are always grateful that we did it.

But then, you can see from the picture that we have a LOT of lights.

• deedles
    11 years ago

A six foot island would probably need more than one can. I agree with that observation.

Now you've got me looking at lighting, lol....

• springroz
    11 years ago

drbeanie, where did you get those pendants?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack, peridot44!

Nancy

• chispa
    11 years ago

My kitchen is a little bit wider, but I have 3 rows of 3 recessed lights, plus a pendant over the sink. You can't have too much light and then just use a dimmer for adjusting.

• peridot44
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

The electrician finished yesterday. We ended up with...
    - 6 recessed cans around the perimiter (on dimmer)
    - 2 recessed cans above the island (on dimmer)
    - 1 pendant above the sink (this was always part of the plan, as I described in my OP.)
    - under cabinet lights
    - one inside cab light for the one with glass doors, above the wet bar

• taggie
    11 years ago

Sounds perfect. Good decisions!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

How about a picture?