Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

Which Peninsula back do you like better?

aries61
9 years ago

I'm having a 54" peninsula in the kitchen and have two options for the back. Match the inset cabinet doors or beadboard . The doors are going to be similar to the picture that shows the wall of cabinets which is in this post or the bead board which is in the next post. I'm not sure and looking for opinions. Thanks

Comments (18)

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bead board back

• User
    9 years ago

No beadboard. It introduces an off note unless it's being repeated elsewhere. It's too visually busy to bring in as a single note that's not a focal point.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hs: thanks . Since these are beaded inset cabinets, just a wainscot panel or beaded framed and doors to match the cabinets? I've seen it both way.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

doors definately! it will be beautiful:)

• amykath
    9 years ago

Doors for sure.

Lovely kitchen!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I always prefer to do a single custom sized wainscot panel with the beaded detail on the wainscot frame for the rear of an island or peninsula if the line offers it. It's a much more integrated look than individually applied door panels. Especially for inset cabinets that couldn't have the beading detail if you just applied doors. Of course, it's not cheap to pick that option.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Are you using the raised panel doors as in the first pic?
    If those, then door. Beadboard would be wrong for the reason hollysprings says.
    If your cab style is shaker, then it depends. If your kitchen is kind of formal-looking, as in the first pic (high ceilings, symmetrical) then doors. If it's more casual (lower ceilings, less ornamentation) then doors or beadboard.

Hopefully I'm making sense.

• suska6184
    9 years ago

Are you going to have seating in front of the area in question? If that is the case, not sure it matters a whole lot. If it were me, (and the area is behind seating) I would go with the less costly option to help feel better about those splurges that no doubt found their way into your design!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, seems like I'm the only one who disagrees with the doors. It looks kind of weird to me to have little doors under the peninsula as if you had little people walking in/out. I'd go with a larger panel (maybe something like live-wire suggests.)

Why not look at the back of islands with counter? On the other hand, once you have stools there, it'll be hard to see anyways, so whatever is the most cost-effective option.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lwo: I can do a one piece wainscot panel similar to the beaded look with matching doors or can do what you described with the beaded detail.

Hydragea: Yes, doing a raised panel door similar to what's in the first picture.

suska6184: Yes, will have seating in front of the area. There is not much of a difference in price of either option. About $299 for the beaded look or $331 for the beaded inset look that matches the doors.

nosoccermom : As I mentioned above the cost difference is small.

I think lwo was taking about something like in this picture which is the side of the first picture.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

agree with Hollysprings for the same reason...

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

Hands down I'd choose to match the doors. I completely agree with holly that beadboard backing is an "off note" when it's random and does not correspond with beadboard elsewhere as a design element.

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone else that beadboard would be a weird anomaly. But I wouldn't do soooo many door panels under there. It's kind of busy and does look like random extra doors rather than decorative paneling. Maybe of you covered the whole back with just two large panels?

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. The consensus is do the doors like in the main photo. The next questions is how many panels? I was thinking either 2 or 3. If it's 2, they will be about 24" wide or if 3, they will be about 16" wide. Which do you think will look better?

• practigal
    9 years ago

Two panels if you're planning on two or four chairs, three panels if you're planning on three chairs. I love your kitchen.....gorgeous cabinets....high ceilings....Love the countertop..... it's beautiful.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

2 panels, as there is only room for 2 seats.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Oh, and be sure to design the overhang support into the wainscotting as well. Lots of people forget that corbels need a place to mount them to.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

practigal, thanks for the complements about the kitchen, but the one pictured is only for reference. Mine will be similar cabinets, but unfortunately only have 95 1/4" ceiling so the they won't be stacked.

Green, thanks for the reminder about the overhang support. Still not sure what I'm doing yet with that.