Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Filtered Water Faucet

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

At my beverage station/coffee area in the future kitchen, I want to have a sink, just a small one. But then I realized when we make coffee or drinks, we always use the Brita water. So, can I have a faucet there that gives filtered water? And I'm not talking about adding something to the faucet, but rather something underneath.

Anyone have this? How expensive? Brands?

Speaking of this sink-you might enjoy this: when the architect/builder and I were looking at the rough drawing of the kitchen he scratched this sink out and drew it on the island, thinking I was moving it to the island for the prep sink. "No, no. Don't cross that out", "You want 3 sinks?" "Of course I do! This one is for clean-up, this one is for prep, and this little one way over here is for coffee, etc." "oh, ok". My husband broke out laughing, declaring that we sounded like an old married couple arguing over how many sinks we should have. I like to break them in early.

Comments (14)

• singingmicki
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The prep sink in our rental is hooked up to the water fillter under the sink which also serves the ice maker right next to it. I will take a picture today of the configuration when I'm there packing. I don't think it was a challenging set up.

In our home build, we put a reverse osmosis system under our snack sink. It makes exceptionally smooth tea and coffee. This gives us the faucet for hand washing and the spigot for RO water, which my husband is addicted to.

• cjc123
    12 years ago

We installed the Aquapure 200 under the sink. It has a dedicated cold water faucet and is hooked up to our fridge (don't have to buy those very expensive fridge filters - just leave bypass plug in) We change the filter twice a year. I think it was in the $100 range PS: LOVE IT!!

From Kitchen remodel (still not done)

• davidro1
    12 years ago

There are many filters in the market, but it is hard to get comparisons about them. This is one field where Consumer Reports would do a good job. Some filters let a large flow rate through. Some constrict flow significantly, and actually this proves that the water is being forced through a tight filter that grabs the stuff you want to filter out. But, what DO they filter? Even CR would have a hard time answering that. Since you have not mentioned any special filtering needs I'll guess you want to filter a "minimal" amount of stuff; this could be good to keep in mind when you phone technical support phone numbers or talk to salespeople. Otherwise the number of options increases exponentially.

See Insinkerator / Emerson products. Look around their web site. Prices are standardized, and any discount you might get will be the same discount across the range of products.
    e.g.
    Transcape HC-Wave 'HC' means both hot and cold (not chilled).
    Involve HC-Wave 'HC' means both hot and cold (not chilled).

If my memory is accurate, for some odd reason the company priced these two products at a lower price point that the 'C' products (single tap water spout).
    ... = thus, the instant hot water tank and the extra tap were essentially free.

In many discussions, Insta-Hot is something people love. Combine it with a filter and the Insta-Hot tank gets filtered water, which is a good thing as there will be less gunk sedimenting in the bottom of the tank, ergo less corrosion later in life.

I found that HomeDepot was able to order these products. But, see caveat below.

I found that a professional plumbing supply store was the best channel to buy from. They don't sell to end users unless you walk in knowing more than they do about the purchase you intend. They know how to find things out fast, AND they understand everything, AND they can double-check anything AND then explain it to help you confirm everything. At HomeDepot it's the exact opposite: finding things out is a long process, and then the information relayed to your ears is iffy although the apronbearing servant might sound experienced; there is nobody at any level in the company who can confirm anything, and they might lie to you about how much they know and understand, or simply be guilty of unwitting ignorance. A specialty distribution channel is way better than a big box store trying to compete as an also-ran in the pack. Hope this helps when you send your handyman to go look into this subject and read the instructions. A handyman who has been introduced to a professional plumbing supply store is even better. Of course one may also place a phone call to the manufacturer and talk to technical support. There are a lot of tubes and pipes that have to be connected when you have both a filter and an instant hot water tank. The hot faucet has a special pipe configuration because the water temperature is so high.

Hth

Here is a link that might be useful: a straight shot to some of the ISE products

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

Very happy with my EWS. This is the second one. Compact and easy to change filters.

Lots of options on units depending on how much filtration is needed. They have sales around holidays so if you watch carefully you can get 10%-15% off and free shipping. Easy install. I got my brother a coupon and he put his in himself.

Currently have the FUGAC250. Excellent. Previously had the one with UV light when we lived in a pre war apartment building with old plumbing.

Very good customer support as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: EWS

• BalTra
    12 years ago

beekeeper- THREE SINKS! I think I love you!

I am looking at this company, linked below. Have not used them. My (excellent) plumber swears by them and has installed their whole-house filters here in the city I live in with OLD water system and some questionable sources.

I did have a reverse osmosis system in my former, old home in San Francisco. Delicious!

Here is a link that might be useful: Everpure

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, it sounds like I can just add this baby afterwards. Perfect.

Except for the possible idea of instant hot at this location for making tea, Do you think I could get away with just a cold line? And like cjc has, it could be where the fridge's water comes from too. The fridge will be to the left of this little area.

• jsceva
    12 years ago

We haven't installed it yet, but we decided to go with the Everpure PBS-400 filter because it let's through a full 2.2 gpm flow rate; that way, you can just filter a "normal" faucet, rather than having normal + a dedicated filter faucet. Best price we found was $209.95 (including $30 for an upgraded hardware pack) at superwater.com.

• colin3
    12 years ago

FWIW I found WaterFilters.net relatively easy to deal with. They have a good range of options for different flow rates and kinds of filtration and pretty good technical data; their e-mail response to questions was fast and helpful.

• deedles
    12 years ago

The water quality is now so bad in most areas AND you take in more toxins through your skin when showering/bathing than you do drinking that we decided to go with a whole house filter and couldn't be happier. It's not cheap but we've made a decision to make healthy food/water a priority. Anyway, then you don't need point of use filters that really can't get the nastiest stuff out... this is one thing in one place that cleans all the house water.

Here is a link that might be useful: house filter

• christine40
    12 years ago

We have a private well, and currently get water delivery for drinking and coffee! Once we remodel we are going with the kinetico RO filter...not cheap, but will give us 1 spout at the faucet for drinking, cooking if we want, coffee (a must!), and another line for the fridge water. I think this system runs 1300 or so?? But the softened well water is too yucky to drink (IMO), and then we don't have the hassle of 5gal bottles and a dispenser any longer!

I love the 3 sink idea, my space is not even big enough to justify 3, let alone 3, but I am going to store that baby away for the future---I have a dedicated "coffee" area in my kitchen---no matter how small it is--I love my coffee!

• cjc123
    12 years ago

I have burned myself a few times with the instant hot water ones so there was no way I was putting one in with how many children I have around my house on a regular basis. I have a Kismit electric tea kettle that I love. The faucet in the sink is cool but not cold. We use it for the coffee pot, tea, drinking and some cooking. The fridge is cold. PS - We all drink WAY more water now than ever before and guests do to.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Hi Bee. Three sinks sounds right to me!

I just had my cleanup sink plumbed. I don't have very tasty tap water and always used the Brita. My new fridge is smaller so I didn't want the gigantor pitcher taking up space. I also didn't want a seperate faucet at the sink.

I ended up going waaaaay low tech. Went to HD and bought a GE filter that sits in the cold water line for about $45. The filter should last a year and refills are about $18. The water tastes great!

• sweetandrew
    12 years ago

We have the Everpure H-300 hooked up to a Little Gourmet cold water dispenser faucet. I love it. FYI, I was told by the rep at the plumbing store that it would work fine with my Perrin & Rowe bridge faucet, with normal water flow, but the plumber on our job wouldn't hook it up as he said it would NOT give us sufficient water flow. Back to the plumbing store where the rep who gave me misinformation was no longer employed, and I chose a Little Gourmet cold water dispenser faucet that's a close match to the Perrin & Rowe. It's mounted to left of sink (we just have 1 sink).

• cflaherty
    12 years ago

Aquasana is a great place to go..the filters only need to be replaced once a quarter ($8.00)...they just had a sale also..def check them out..we LUV ours! My mom has one also and she is the queen of water filters...she has done a ton of water filter research and testing herself. GL!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia