Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkoebnick

Odd room - need kitchen layout help please!

jkoebnick
12 years ago

We are moving our kitchen to our former garage which was converted to living space by the previous owner. The room is big - 21'6" x 22' 4". It has a big window on the back wall that is 12' 1/2"W x 5'2" H and is 21" off the floor. The room has a vaulted ceiling. It also has a bow window on the front wall-we plan to put our table & chairs in front of it. I met with a KD at Home Depot and she recommended doing a 1 wall layout with all the appliances on 1 wall with a huge island across from it. That doesn't really sound like a good work triangle to me. The problem is we have plumbing on the wall I'm talking about so the sink has to go there. I have a Kenmore Pro range with a 6" backsplash and I didn't like the look of a raised bar behind it if we put it in the island. Sorry - I couldn't get my drawing of the room to link to this msg.

Comments (14)

• ideagirl2
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

L-shaped with island might work better and it seems like you have plenty of room for that. We do need to see a layout, though. There are instructions on how to link to pictures. You have to post your pix on Photobucket and then insert the appropriate link into your post.

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope this worked . . . here is the layout on photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: jessiegreg layout

• corgi_mom
    12 years ago

I couldn't bring up the photo.

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tried again.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1971584}}

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I can see your photo, now. Can you take out that big back window and maybe replace it with two smaller ones? The range would look great, between the windows, with maybe the fridge on the end and a pantry on that wall (opposite the sink).

The sink on that plumbing wall would work...maybe put a plate rack over it or a decorative shelf/art work? Something to give it a focal point, since it's not under a window.

I'd turn the island, so that it's parallel with the window walls. This will give you a nice division, between the work area and the table. Have you thought about a long banquette, where the bow window is? Just another idea :)

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Got any pictures of the existing space?

-------- New topic --------

What are your feelings about graph paper? For everyone's sake, it would work better if your room was drawn to scale. For instance, I can't tell how much room you have left on the current plumbing wall after the doorway, could be 16 feet or it could be any other distance.

If you can please tell us the size of every individual segment of the walls like how much wall is to the right of the living room opening? And whether the measurements include trim?

With (I guess) 30" pro range + 30" sink + 36" ref, of the (I guess) 16 feet available, 8 feet are gone to appliances and sink. It's sort of recommended to "surface" the ref so other family members or sous chefs can use it without walking behind you - so let's reverse the layout of that wall.

So starting from the corner where the ref used to be, there would be a 24" cabinet, 30" range, 36" cabinet, 33" sink base, 30" cabinet, 36" + 3" for building a refrigerator surround. It's not too bad for working but it becomes a one person kitchen with an assistant. Stuff comes out of the ref, sometimes runs through a cleaning process at the sink, is chopped on the other side of the sink and thrown into a pot. Flipping stuff back and forth onto the island is a thought, but you'll still need a fatish aisle because of the dishwasher and having people bypass to do things like the dishes or setting the table.

36" of great prep space "sounds ok", but reality is it will likely contain drying dishes or the coffee pot or something - just because your wall space is so limited. And that pantry is still 19 feet away (38 feet roundtrip).

If it were me, I'd be looking to move somethin'.

-------- New topic --------

These are combo questions about your preferences and your budget...

Can you have another sink? Not trying to sound challenging or 'nuthing but has a plumber actually looked at it? Sometimes its cheap and sometimes its not.

If you liked a plan enough, would you be willing to buy the island trim kit (~ $120) for the range and an island hood (pricey)?

Can you replace or fill in any of the windows?

Can we fill in any of the opening to the living room? As an example of what that might do - moving a lot of the pantry to that section of wall between the living room entrance and the bow window would be nice.

Are you attached to that orientation of the island?

Do you want a micro, another wall oven, the miele built-in espresso maker, toaster oven, tv, or next week's winning lottery number?

-------- Partial interrogation questions ------

How many family members?

Do you entertain? Bake? Can? Possess a small blow torch or a 30 qt mixer? Anybody with professional level cooking skills?

How big is that table?

Is the 13'6" empty space on the far side of the island reserved for some purpose?

Buehl's Read Me First has got a long list of questions that is good to read and at least think about. There are also walk throughs for posting pictures and other information on design topics.

{{gwi:1971584}}

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry my drawing is so terrible - this is the first time I've used GardenWeb although I've read it for years - sorry for being a lurker too.

Some answers to the above questions:

A plumber did look at the house and suggested keeping the plumbing on that wall since this room was the former garage and has no basement or crawl space underneath - a basement is adjacent to the wall in question.

Changing the back window would take away many design issues however, our budget does not allow for this. And that window has an awesome view as the house sits up on top of a bluff.

The doorway to the living room is the only doorway to the rest of the house. Currently it's a 36" door which we are widening to 60".

I'd like a below counter microwave shelf for the microwave. (And yes I'd like the winning lottery numbers if you have them...)

The dining table is 48 x 89 at it's extended length.

My husband & I are empty-nesters but have 5 grown children that visit often - no grandchildren yet.

The far wall with the 13' of space is planned to have coat cubbies/bench since it's next to the garage entrance and there is no closet.

One more thing - the cabinet I labelled "pantry" is really a utility/broom cabinet because again - no closet in the room.

I thought about turning the island but didn't think it would work with the wall of cabinets & appliances. What about a big square island?

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Can't tell nothing really without those measurement numbers.

Your plumber doesn't want to trench into the slab. I'd still ask him how much for the sink and separately, how much for the gas line. Around here, we're required to have all duct work done by either a licensed plumber or a heating/cooling guy - so as long as you're asking, might get two numbers for that too (on the wall and if it was on the island).

Would you be upset if the living room opening was only 48"?

I was asking about the 13.5 feet of room length in the center of the left hand half that doesn't contain island or the table space - the part from the island TO the lockers and not on the wall. 10 lockers?

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll ask the plumber to give me the 2 prices then.

I guess 48" would be ok but my goal was to have it feel more open.

I will redraw the diagram and post it so you can see the measurements better.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

• Rotelle5
    12 years ago

Hello...I was reading your posting and it sounded exactly the same as what I had done. I wanted to tell you that my best move was moving the sink to the island. We have about 9 inches under the floor since it was our garage,too, but that was plenty of room. The plumber went from the top and all that had to be repaired was a few planks of wood.Do you have any space at all under the kitchen?

• jkoebnick
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I believe we only have 7 inches below the floor. And the support boards are running parallel to the wall so they'd have to cut each board to run the plumbing which can be done I guess for a price.

I have redrawn my diagram on graph paper. It probably has mistakes as I'm not an architect. I wish Home Depot would just give me a detailed drawing. Oh, and I changed it a bit based on feedback from this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1971585}}

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I like this drawing much better. Can you switch the sink and dishwasher? Maybe add a trash area, between the sink and range? This would be handy, with prep. I really like the big island and it takes better advantage of your lovely views :)

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

Maybe something like this? It's more a collection of ideas than a finished plan.

For the piece across the windows, either build it -
    Example of furniture from cabinets:

Or scavenge it from store cupboards or long buffets or low cupboards.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

What about a low bench with storage drawers under the window? They could store pots and pans, pantry items, etc. I made some modifications, taking the lower cabinets around the corner, low drawers under window, then the utility closet with cabinet doors so it is unified with the rest. This is a ROUGH mockup and will need a measurement reality check. You might need more space b/w island and range; that could mean losing the island seating (since you would have a bench and a table in the room also) and moving the island to the left a bit.

{{gwi:1971590}}

{{gwi:1971591}}

You could have upper cabs or shelves on the right of the window too to help balance with the left.