Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jess1979_gw17

Please help with kitchen layout open for all suggestions

jess1979
9 years ago

Could you please let me know how I can improve the kitchen layout. We are going to use IKEA cabinets so my sizes are a little limited. I do not like where the stove is but don't know anyplace else it can go. I read on a thread today about placing a range in the corner but I don't know if that is an option for me because of the window. Where I have drawn the space that we can not move anything in that spot, there are no options of moving what is in that space. I am open for any ideas to help me. Thank you for all your help.

Comments (7)

• practigal
    9 years ago

What is the width of the unit that will be inserted in the area marked stove? Is there also a wall between the living room dining room and kitchen or could there be a peninsula there?

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

The space is really tight between the sink and stove. If you end up keeping the stove there, you will need to have something fireproof on the wall only 3" to the left of it like tile or stainless.

Did you design your kitchen with the online IKEA planner? If not, I suggest you give it a try. It might help you better visualize how things will look and function than on paper (it allows you to see your design in 3D). And then you can email yourself a link which you can post here so we can pop in and check it out and might result in better suggestions.

How big are you in keeping the sink centered under the window? This made more sense in the pre-DW era when people spent a lot of time at the sink washing up. Now most people find that they spend more time on prep than cleaning. Consider moving the sink to the right and put that 30" cabinet where the sink is. Your DW will be on the end. This at least gives more room between sink and stove so two people can be cooking/cleaning without crowding for the same space to stand in. It also gives you more of what is considered the most precious counter space in a kitchen, between sink and stove for prepping.

I can't speak to the issue of angling the stove in the corner. I know I've read many posts here on GW advising not to put a sink in the corner as it apparently isn't very convenient to work on in a corner. But I'm unsure if the same issues apply to stoves.

However, I would definitely not move the stove to the corner unless you move that sink farther to the right as they would be even closer together and two people in the kitchen would be knocking elbows.

Is your stove also on an outside wall? A stove on the outside wall is much easier to vent your exhaust to the outside. For this reason, I think you might want to put your stove where I previously suggested you move your sink. It can even be more to the right with just a 15, 18, or 21" counter on the right of it. Move your sink to where your stove is. Then put your DW where the 24" cabinet is on the fridge wall, closest to that unmovable corner. This would allow you to reach the DW from the sink. And would lessen congestion between the clean-up area and the cooking area. And you still have that nice, long counter expanse between stove and sink.

I'm sure someone else will come along and give you better ideas but that's the best I can come up with. Best wishes.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

How long is your current fridge wall? Is it as long as the outside wall?

I think trying to use that short space where you show the stove is doing more harm than good. You have such a small space - you can't afford all those fillers.

How about going with a straight galley, with the stove opposite the sink? Here's what I see, if I have the dimensions right:

Left side (top to bottom):
    Unmovable wall
    18" drawers
    30" range
    36" drawers

Right side:
    30" drawers
    33" sink base, with trash underneath
    24" DW
    36" fridge

The sink won't be centered on the window, and venting the range will be more difficult (unless you can go through the roof).

You do lose some storage space, but the space you have is a lot more usable - I know from experience that a 12" drawer base is not worth much, and in your plan, the upper cabinet in the corner would have to be a blind cab, since the filler/range hood overlap part of the 30" upper.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I like annkh's idea, and will add that if you do a galley style, on the wall where it now says 3" filler (abutting the part that cannot be changed), you could put in a very shallow pantry -- even 4" deep floor to ceiling would be very useful. You'd still have 32" in front of the 24" cabinet opposite, and although 32" would be too narrow for a real aisle where people have to pass, it wouldn't be terrible in a 'dead-in' location and would give you a lot of extra storage space.

• jess1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your help. I like the galley style idea. I would like to switch the frig and the range from where I put them on my layout but I don't think we can. The kitchen is on the 2nd floor of the house and there isn't an attic. If it is on an outside wall they could vent it, so I had to put it on the outside wall. I did not draw the shallow pantry on my sketch but I like that idea. I had to put the sink cabinet at 36" because we are going to use IKEA cabinets and they do not have a 33" sink cabinet.
    I have tried to use the IKEA 3D planner but I have not been able to figure out how to get it to work on my computer. Can you please give me advise on my new layout? Any advise on how I can improve it or any problems that you see? Thank you for all your help.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Can't the range be vented through the roof? I don't think you'd like the range at the end of the run (and I'm not sure if your code even allows it).

With your aisle width, it would be great if you could get deeper cabinets - 30" base and 15" uppers, at least on the side opposite the sink. It would greatly increase your storage space. I don't think Ikea has them, but Barker does, and many folks here have great things to say about Barker cabinets.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I think your attempts to keep the sink centered on the window are limiting your options.

Vent the stove through the roof but do not put it on the end of the counter run. It can be dangerous. Imagine if a handle is sticking out to the side and someone walks by there, close to the stove, and doesn't see the handle and knocks the hot pan onto themselves.

I agree with going 30" on counters. I'm doing an IKEA kitchen with 30" deep counters myself. I won't gain storage in drawers as IKEA doesn't do the deeper drawers but the extra deep counters will add a lot of prep space. Or go Barker or something and get the deeper drawers. If you like what they offer, you won't regret it the extra storage space.

When I went to use the IKEA kitchen planner for the first time, I was directed to download an extension for my browser called "20-20 3D Viewer for Ikea". Maybe you need to do that as well to make the program work for you.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling