Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Raised or Lowered Dish Hutch Next to DW?

laughablemoments
9 years ago

Hi all,
We're narrowing in on our kitchen plan and we have an aesthetic decision to make. We'd like to make the 42" cabinet where we'll keep our dishes look like a hutch. We plan to either lower or raise the countertop in this area. We already own the laminate countertop, and it does not come in long enough lengths to do the entire wall without an awkward seam. Differentiating the hutch by height will help make the transition in countertop look deliberate.

Here's one that is raised:

Traditional Kitchen

And here is one that is lowered:

Traditional Kitchen

Ceilings are 9' and uppers are 42" tall.

Here's a rendering that Sena01 graciously made for us with it lowered. (Note, I don't plan to have the sides of the upper touch the lower.)

Comments (6)

• practigal
    9 years ago

So long as you get great usable space out of it, you can either raise or lower the top. I personally like the example in blue above (how they used the blue in the back of the cabinets and) how when they lowered the counter top they snuck in an open shelf. I like the idea of one open shelf, not a whole kitchen full of them getting dusty. The example in white has a series of small drawers which would be completely worthless to me.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

If you are not going to connect top to bottom via sides, I'm not sure you can get the hutch look. It looks like simple shapes making the transitions in your pictures, not solid sides connecting top and bottom, might you consider something similar?

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I like the raised, but I think it really depends on how you want to use it. I'm short, so I might enjoy a short counter for rolling out pie dough etc. But I'd you really do plan to put a microwave there, I'd rather have larger drawers.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

I don't see that as a "hutch" area crammed into the corner, adjacent to the other cabinets. It needs a different location, or much different detailing where the two meet in order to actually work. I'd put it on the other side of the window.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

the lowered hutch looks awkward in both pics as they draw the eye downward. no offense but they look like an after thought. the raised one however, frames the kitchen.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like the open shelf too, practigal. Our dishes are in and out so many times a day, it might be nice to have them stored in an open spot like that.

I'd consider doing the brackets that look like they almost touch the counter, but not quite, OOTM. Something like the brackets in the one with the raised counter.

Joygreenwald, I picture this spot mostly as the place where we keep our dishes. The kids could fix a quick breakfast in this spot, as well. Or they could do that on the island, directly across the way.

I'm debating about dropping the section of island counter closest to the stove (not pictured) for tasks like dough rolling. So, it's not like I need the hutch section to be lower.

Thanks for chiming in GreenDesigns. The rest of the counter to the left of the sink is an L shaped portion with the stove on the short leg, so highly useful space for prepping in addition to the island.

Here's a pic:

If you have some ideas that would work better for the space, I'd love to hear them. My layout planning thread is linked below.

That's an interesting point, jeff-1010. That the eye is drawn downward by the lowered counter, but the kitchen is framed by the higher counter. Hmmmmm....

Here is a link that might be useful: Our jigsaw kitchen using cabinets from craigslist