Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dualvansmommy

gas vs electric ovens??

dualvansmommy
11 years ago

hi all,

forgive me if it's repeat message, but i thought i posted my question last night and can't find it. That tells me it's probably never got posted..

i'm researching on wall ovens to replace my old 24" frigadaire gas oven, and this time round i want a bigger functioning oven that bakes well. In my research, the ones i found that fit my criteria is all eletric ovens, so changed my search for gas ovens with either 27 inch or 30 " size which are very few out there!

it made me think...just what the benefits in having an eletric oven? and whether it's easy to convert from eletric to gas oven?

as it stands, i have gas for my stove which is how i like and will keep, so it's just a simple exchange for new one as far stove goes. It's the wall oven im having a lot of trouble finding....so any advice and recs??

Comments (14)

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

Have you looked at the Blue Star ovens? They are gas and I think they have 24" as well as 30". They don't have self clean. They came out after my remodel was finished or I would have considered them instead of electric - the french doors would be nice because I'm short.

You might get more response about the benefits of gas vs electric on the Appliance forum. My understanding is that any difference in cooking results is very small. Gas combustion produces some water and humidity helps in crust formation in bread baking.

How easy it is to convert from gas to electric depends on your electrical panel. An electric oven will need its own 220 circuit - if your panel and service have room to add that you mainly have the cost of running the wires from the box to the oven.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi Dualvan,

Here are a couple of helpful threads about electric versus gas ovens. From what I understand, many people find electric preferable & more precise for baking, and gas better for things that benefit from more moisture--and don't require as much precision--like roasting.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0101271016491.html

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg081657061049.html

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

I don't bake enough to tell you if an electric oven as any advantages over a gas oven. A new electric oven will require a new 220 volt circuit to serve the oven. That expense will vary depending on the structure of your house and your existing electric service.

• dualvansmommy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks all,

i checked my electric panel and it seems i only have 200 amps. In all the other infomation about electric ovens along with rest of running standard appliances, it's saying 200 is sufficient and that you only need more if you have 4,000-5,000 sq ft household. i only have 2,800 sq ft here.

bit confused here

i checked out blue star....very appealing, however not too crazy about the french door style, but that's very minor...if the option to convert from gas to electric runs too expensive, i'll seriously consider blue star wall oven.

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Your 200A service should be fine to run a wall oven. The oven will need 220V (volts, not amps). Easiest way to explain it is ... You know how the plug for your dryer looks different than plugs for the fridge or lamps? An electric dryer also uses 220V, and those require different outlets with different wiring. It sounds like you have that in place already, so it would be cheapest to stay with that.

If you have a gas range and electric wall oven you have the best of both worlds, IMHO.

But, if you want a gas range you just need to hire a plumber to run a gas line over to it. I don't think you can tee off the line to the range, you would probably need a new line from where gas comes into the house. But I could be wrong on that!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

The 220 line would cost a bit ($400 or so including the plug if you need it) and a dedicated, heavy gauge line to a higher amp breaker. But regardless of price, I much prefer gas stove top and electric oven for consistency and precision.

• AFT3
    11 years ago

Along this same line, I was wondering what the difference in price is to run an electric wall oven verses a gas wall oven. We are in California in a city where gas is much cheaper than electricity. Any ideas about this? Thanks. (BTW, we currently have a very old gas stove top, oven combination range, but we are doing a major remodel so all changes are possible. We would be going with a gas stove top, and a separate single wall oven.) Thank you.

• julieste
    11 years ago

I have no idea about gas wall ovens but thought I'd add this to the discussion. Where and how would your gas wall oven vent?

We just replaced a dual fuel range with an all gas range, and our kitchen is a lot warmer than it used to be because the gas oven vents out into the kitchen (something you need to take into account when thinking about gas). We also have an old electric wall oven. We did just cook an incredibly moist turkey in the new gas oven, but I don't know if it was because of the gas vs. the electric we'd always used before or if it was because it was a more premium turkey than I normally buy.

• julieste
    11 years ago

I have no idea about gas wall ovens but thought I'd add this to the discussion. Where and how would your gas wall oven vent?

We just replaced a dual fuel range with an all gas range, and our kitchen is a lot warmer than it used to be because the gas oven vents out into the kitchen (something you need to take into account when thinking about gas). We also have an old electric wall oven. We did just cook an incredibly moist turkey in the new gas oven, but I don't know if it was because of the gas vs. the electric we'd always used before or if it was because it was a more premium turkey than I normally buy.

• Peke
    11 years ago

You could also get a double hybrid oven from American Range. They let you choose your door style. The top oven is gas for roasting and more moisture in foods like meats and the bottom oven (220) is electric for those crusts on breads and for other baking.

I believe you can choose from the french doors (more expensive), and chef doors (regular doors). They will also let you choose one of each. Some people like a french door for the upper since it up high and a chef door on the bottom.

Good luck with your choices! Peke

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I have read that electric ovens are better for baking than gas. Gas cook tops are the chef's choice but electric for the oven.

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

"I have read that electric ovens are better for baking than gas."

This is an extremely simplistic analysis often quoted by appliance dealers who don't cook. Nowadays, it all breaks down to the quality of the appliance. I now cook and bake with a DCS AG range, and its oven is wayyyyyy better than any of the low end electric ovens I have had in the past. I am so glad I declined the steep upcharge required for DF in a similar range. I can't believe the baking performance would be any better than a marginal improvement, but everything I've read about DFs (and anecdotal stories from friends) indicate they have much shorter life-spans due to the heat of the cooktop frying the electronic controls for the oven.

• Vertise
    11 years ago

I said "read". A summation. No salesmen. I was just stating what I found from reading many articles on the difference (from appliance articles, forums, to chefs) because I wanted a gas cook top.

Not everyone has or wants to spend thousands of dollars for a professional level appliance, if that does, in fact, level the gas vs. electric playing field for the discussion. But I see several people responding here say they prefer an electric oven due to the differences.

Note: A quick google returns unfavorable reviews for DCS ranges.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 21:38

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

"A quick search returns unfavorable reviews for DCS ranges. "

Where are you searching? DCS may not be a volume market leader, but here on GW there are many more positive, even glowing reviews by owners, than negative ones.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH