Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmagoo

Costco Granite, Quartz, Corian?

msmagoo
16 years ago

Over the weekend I picked up a brochure at Costco, they have countertops. Has anyone had any experience with them in this area? Was the price less? I love Costco and usually their service and merchanidise is 1st class.

Thanks,

Magoo

Comments (12)

• dlg421
    16 years ago

We just had their vendor in our area (Phoenix) come to give us a quote. He was very professional and took a great deal of time explaining the different products that they offer, the advantages and disadvantes of each and then he gave us a quote for both granite and quartz countertops. Based on two other bids that we had received, his prices are very competitive.

• msmagoo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anyone else?
    Thanks

• oruboris
    16 years ago

I think costco, like Home Depot, uses exisiting local contractors to do the install. Ask your local store who they use, and if they have references.

• jb1176
    16 years ago

I'd also make sure they are not using cheap prefab pieces from China.

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

Where are you? The rep from Costco here in CT is out of the Boston area, Surface Technologies, which the same place Lowes uses for its quartz. Might be the same people for granite, also, but I am not positive. Granite colors are more limited than what you would get elsewhere but might be fine if they have what you are looking for. He said mostly darker granite colors, a fee lighter. The advantage with Costco is they hold the money and supposedly the fabricator does not get paid until you are satisfied. I assume there are some reasonable limits to that, but you have costco to help you get results if there is a problem. If you use them do NOT sign off on anything until you are SURE you are satisfied.

Sue

• janwad
    16 years ago

Two years ago Costco in the Seattle area was using FineLine Pacific. I had a couple of minor problems, but they were very eager to get it right.

Find out who your fabricator is, ask them whether you can pick out slabs or at least blocks. If they are like FineLine, they do a big volume business for builders who aren't that picky about some details, but the jobs require good workmanship. They aren't quite as used to the TKO crowd.

It's a different philosophy from that used by 'stoners' who know enough to want control over every detail.

• brunosonio
    16 years ago

Costco uses existing fabricators but can bargain for a lower price due to its massive buying power.

Depending on the quartz or man-made surface, there may be only one distributor in your area. For example, here in Seattle, where Costco is based, there is only one fabricator for Cambria quartz. Everyone, including Costco, IKEA, and all the high end kitchen designers, has to deal with this one company. It's whoever can get the best price, and whoever doesn't mark it up as much.

But the same fabricator comes out to install it.

The advantage of Costco is that you also have the power of the company behind you, if you're not satisfied with the product or the installation.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Hehe. Someone is resurrecting every post with "Corian" in the title.

• Happykate
    16 years ago

The Seattle area is still doing FineLine Pacific. It you're there, I wouldn't hesitate; I had concerns, dealt directly with the owner, and am quite happy.

• bearHit
    16 years ago

We had Quartz countertops installed through Costco here in South Jersey.

They did an excellent job.

Unfortunately - now we know how badly our walls in the kitchen are bowed.

• mark_gamble
    16 years ago

Research the fabricator, not the salesperson. You get a low price, you get what you pay for. Make certain to read all of your contracts and know the natural features of the material you buy. Low prices = short cuts. Short cuts = less quality. Small samples will not be the same as seeing the entire slab.
    Save yourself the aggravation and go directly to a fabricator. They will educate you PROPERLY and you will have no middle man problems of passing the blame on to other people. One company that does it all can only blame themselves.