Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lexmomof3

Polished chrome vs polished nickel

lexmomof3
11 years ago

Other than some prefer one look over the other, are there any pros and cons to one vs the other?

Comments (52)

• friedajune
    11 years ago

Are you talking about faucets or drawer pulls/knobs? Or both? Anyway, one difference is that polished nickel costs more than polished chrome. Also, aesthetically, polished nickel is a more "traditional" look - people associate the finish with traditional british fixtures (would polished chrome be in Downton Abbey?). That's not to say you can't have polished nickel in a modern setting, or polished chrome in a traditional setting - you can do whatever you like best.

If we are just talking about faucets (not knobs/pulls), I feel the opposite of Berardmr, in that I have a polished chrome faucet in my kitchen, and polished nickel faucets in my bathrooms. The reason for that is that I find polished nickel to be more high maintenance. It shows water spots, and can get a bit tarnished, which is easily removed with either a damp cloth, or with some light silver polish. But for that reason, I wouldn't have polished nickel in my kitchen where it would get more heavy-duty use. Also, my kitchen is a transitional look - i.e. neither traditional nor contemporary, and I like the sparkle of the polished chrome faucet in it.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Hey! I started a thread about chrome (which contains nickel info) that might be helpful : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Chrome/Nickel

• lexmomof3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input. I am talking about in the kitchen, faucet and pulls/knobs. I like the look of nickel better but still like chrome too. I wondered about the maintenance since I've never had polished nickel. I did notice that the polished nickel is quite a bit more than the chrome. The kitchen will be transitional, I think.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

I don't know, but I am developing an attraction to the polished chrome in a faucet. It just seems so clean and sparkley...

• Buehl
    11 years ago

For faucets and knobs/pulls, I think polished nickel is fine. We have satin nickel faucets in our kitchen and powder room and have no tarnishing issues in over 4 years...maybe it's the "type" of nickel finish and/or how it's applied.

Where I would not use nickel of any sort is for the drains, strainers, and/or disposal flange. Nickel can be damaged by harsh cleaning products such as Bar Keeper's Friend or bleach. So, use either chrome or stainless steel for these items. When we did our kitchen & powder room, I was careful to specify brushed stainless for the flange and strainers, but forgot in the powder room. I had to bleach my powder room drain and I accidentally spilled some bleach on the drain and it pitted very quickly. I wish I had remembered to get SS in the powder room as well!!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I too, like the sparkle of the chrome. I have chrome faucet, soap dispenser, garbage disposal button, pulls and knobs. They are easy maintenance. A wipe with a cloth is all it takes. I found the price of the nickel not to be worth it. My house is traditional, 1920, and I think the chrome fits in fine. We used it in our bathrooms too.
    HTH!!

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

I was worried about maintenance so I did a polished chrome faucet. But my pulls and the trim on my light fixtures is polished nickel. They look fine together, so I think I got the best of both worlds. Plus, it saved some money.

• lexmomof3
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies! I like ALL things shiny so I think I'll go with polished chrome just for the easier maintenance. Maybe when my kids are grown and gone, I'll have time to keep the finish on polished nickel sparkling new. I'm going to have marble counter tops and floors when they're gone too! :)

• marioncohen1
    10 years ago

I picked my Grohe faucet which is polished chrome now I was thinking of ordering Amerock's Highland ridge pulls but they only come in Polished Nickel.. I don't think I should mix these finishes.. Does anyone have any advice on mixing these? Is there a pull that you can suggest that is similar to the Amerock Highland ridge pulls? thanks

• abfabamy
    10 years ago

Restoration Hardware has almost identical pulls in chrome, but they are twice the price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration hardware

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Marion, Amerock creased bow is similar and it is a polished chrome. I love Candler but it isn't available in polished chrome just antique silver or satin nickel. Polished chrome musn't be a big line for amerock as most of their silvery finishes are satin.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I forgot, Hickory Hardware American Diner is also available in chrome.

• marioncohen1
    10 years ago

Thanks Holly-kay, I will check that out. I don't think I want to mix my faucet in chrome with polished nickel.

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Marion--I mixed polished chrome faucets with polished nickel pulls. Many of us here have. Here's the Amerock HR and the RH Aubrey (the one I chose) in polished nickel against a grayish marble. I think they look nice. And here's a wider view of my kitchen so you can see the mixed finishes together.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Marion

Ditto what breezy said. I mixed all sorts of stuff--polished chrome faucets, polished nickel top latches and pendant, polished stainless pulls, "bright nickel" (whatever that is) appliance pulls. It all looks great together. I posted my final reveal a few days ago, if you haven't seen it.

• Ellen Horn
    9 years ago

There is nothing wrong with mixing finishes, particularly polished nickel and polished chrome. There is virtually NO difference in the appearance, and chrome is a lot less expensive. I have polished chrome faucets, towel bars, etc., polished nickel light fixtures (they didn't come in chrome) and oil rubbed bronze handles and knobs. My granite, cabinets and tile are brown/beige tones, and oil rubbed bronze would have been an obvious choice for everything, but it has no sparkle and too much of it is boring. I love the look of shiny fixtures.

• jeff-1010
    9 years ago

i've found the finish on the chrome peels or wears off much faster than nickle. maybe it's because the chrome is applied microns thin. the nickle, has to go on much thicker. plus the nickle, to me, makes a better statement. chrome i think looks too flashy. i hope didn't insult anyone.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

My remodel has been a very slow, two-year process, so these are helpful to me as well.

• archermom1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I has this exact question for my current remodel. I'm glad the thread has been updated. I want the sparkle of chrome but trying to decorate my cape with a more traditional, yet updated farmhouse kitchen.

• Kelli Culpepper
    8 years ago

Okay gang, here's one for you: powder room. Looking at Rohl. Polished chrome and polished nickle is the same price. It's a 110 year old house. Everything else so far has been chrome and I love it. We are squeezing a powder room under the front stairs. Going with wall faucet. So now which finish? For a moment I was leaning toward oil rubbed bronze. But using marble for back and counter top and decided against it plus it is more expensive. Found a fabulous little sewing cabinet to use as vanity which we are going to paint medium to bit darker blue. Walls will be shiplap, almost white washed in BM Elephant Tusk. Thanks!!!

• nbarkh
    8 years ago

can someone tell me if it is smart to go with polish nickle for high traffic kitchen faucets or not? If not what about Satin nickle?

• roof35
    8 years ago

Kelliq & nbarkh:

If you go with polished nickle, make sure it is PVD coated. Those that have/had problems with tarnish, black spots etc apparently bought their products without the coating. I have polished nickle fixtures in the main bathroom in the tub/shower and vanity areas for over a year. It takes only a quick wipe like it does on chrome to remove water spots.

You can tell the differences in polished nickle and chrome in their appearances. I would suggest to actually see the difference by holding it in your hand, rather than a computer image and compare the two side by side.

• nbarkh
    8 years ago

I love the look of the PN but so afraid of the black spots. If they come with PVD coats, the coat would not go away over time? and that coat is completely eliminating the water stains?

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

I am going to be ordering cabinet hardware very soon and was going to order polished nickel cup pulls and knobs from Top Knobs. I don't see anywhere on their description about a PVD coating. So, they will not hold-up?

• roof35
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

nbarkh: You'll still get water spots, I don't know any fixture that won't. You just wet wipe them off, not like you have to polish the fixture. You may want to read up on the coating, it's not just on the surface, it's a process.

PVD coating

designsaavy: Not implying they won't hold up. Just saying people who have problems with black spots, or have to actually polish the nickle, no doubt the item isn't PVD coated.

• kguske
    8 years ago

I'm in the same situation! My new kitchen countertop will be a quartzite that looks similar to Cararra marble. Was looking forward to a polished nickel faucet, but now thinking it may be too warm for the cooler countertop. Now I may switch to polished chrome, but light fixtures are nickel. Is this OK? And now what cabinet hardware should I do? Cabinets are BM Simply White. Appliances are stainless steel.

• CiCi
    8 years ago

I have been seeing them in the ends of islands a lot lately. Could that work for you?

• Miss TKO 2015
    8 years ago

I have all polished nickel pulls and lighting, but two polished chrome faucets. Quite frankly, I even forgot I was concerned about this until I saw this post! I was worried about the warm vs cool, but I really have not noticed any difference at all. The faucet site had categorized their finished and stated that the chrome was the most durable, and ultimately I am a function girl and went with my gut. Maybe because the faucet and pulls arent right up against each other? Or maybe I just love my faucet so much, but I havent noticed and the polished chrome faucet has been a dream to clean. Although I have never had a polished nickel faucet to say how they wear?

• kguske
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for the info! What brand of faicet did you get? :)

• kguske
    8 years ago

Is it Waterstone by chance?

• Miss TKO 2015
    8 years ago
    Me? Yes, it is waterstone! How did u guess??

(This is my first post via iPhone, feeling like a dinosaur it took me this long how to figure out how to post on my iPhone, fingers crossed it works)
  • romy718
    8 years ago

I have a Waterstone polished nickel RO filtered faucet. The finish has held up beautifully. I polish (clean it) it with a microfiber cloth. I think it's fine to mix finishes but I also don't think nickel is too warm for Carrara.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Romy, isn't Waterstone wonderful? My kitchen faucet is WS in American Bronze. It took me forever to decide on a finish. Is the PN a living finish

• megeorge17
    8 years ago

I opted for high end white appliances as I dislike stainless steel. I feel it's so overrated. White has been around for decades and it's not going away. I also happen to like golden oak. They are pushing white cabinets these days. Fixer Upper shows are dictating to us what we should have or have not. I think you should have whatever pleases you and not what the media dictates. Good luck!

• kguske
    8 years ago

Miss TKO 2015 - I guessed it was Waterstone because I too had been trying to pick a finish for my faucet. On the Waterstone website it says that their most durable finish is polished chrome - so when you mentioned that I knew it must be Warerstone! Their lead time right now is 8 weeks! I wanted it sooner but I'm thinking it will be worth the wait!

• romy718
    8 years ago

Hi Holly-Kay, my main faucet is Perrin &Rowe in PN & the filtered water faucet is WS. Both faucets are holding up well but the WS seems to have less water spots & appears more polished. I don't know if it's a living finish - not even sure what a living finish is. Another GW educational opportunity?

• ILoveRed
    8 years ago

Romy---I would love to see a picture of your faucet. I love the water stone faucet.

A "living finish" is technically called an unstable finish by building supply people. My ORB door knobs have a living finish. Ten years old and some of the knobs have almost completely changed colors while the hinges are still black. Some people love the living finishes. I wouldn't choose this again.

• Miss TKO 2015
    8 years ago

It is worth the wait. Love mine :)

• dietitian
    8 years ago

I love polished chrome. I am doing polished chrome pulls knobs and faucets, and also my exposed hinges will be polished chrome. It looks like the jewelry of the kitchen to me! I like the PC color better than the PN.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Rome, as Red stated, a living finish is raw metal with no protective coating. I knew I couldn't live with tarnish and a changing finish so I went with a finish that had a pvd protection.

• dietitian
    8 years ago
    Satin chrome is going to show less fingerprints. Polished is closer to a mirror finish. I have polished. I can tell when they are getting too dirty but others can't. The get wiped down weekly or sooner if I feel the need. I love the wow factor of polished so I went for it. Totally a subjective thing. Do what you love!
  • connellv30
    7 years ago

This post has been very helpful. Going through this dilemma now. Those with the Waterstone polished nickel, would you mind sharing how it has held up? thx!

• Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

I am currently picking out items for my new kitchen. I chose polished nickel pendant lights but prefer the shine of the polished chrome cabinet pulls and faucet. The polished nickel pulls seemed to have a brass colored cast to them. I feel better about mixing after reading these comments! Thank you

• kguske
    7 years ago
    For those of you asking about the durability of Waterstone polished nickel, I have it and LOVE it. Since I purchased the faucet I've added the soap dispenser, and now just recently the side sprayer. I would not be able to tell that they were purchased at different times. Waterstone recommends a cleaner called "Mothers Mag Polish." I use it occasionally and everything looks brand new.
  • dietitian
    7 years ago

I have brushed stainless hood & pot filler, and polished chrome faucets in my sinks & hardware. No one notices.

• dtweiner
    6 years ago

I'm very late to this thread but wondering if i have a polished chrome faucet - can I do polished nickle hardware? Also - is it ok to mix the styles of the hardware? Have knobs, cups and pulls? Would that be too busy? If anyone has any advice for me - I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

• Kelli Culpepper
    6 years ago
    I did polished nickel faucet and unlacqered brass knobs. The light fixture over sink is aged brass. Looks terrific. We live in an old, 111 year old, Victorian farmhouse.
  • drmkchiro
    2 years ago

So, the mirror is polished chrome and both sconces polished nickel. You can barely tell a difference so it should work beautifully with my fully chrome bathroom. I may change out the mirrors to match the polished nickel sconce I choose but the rest of the bathroom will be chrome all the way.

• Brenda Ilkhanipour
    last year

My master bathroom has white cabinets , Carrara marble floors and counters all fixtures are polished nickel …i think they are a little ore upkeep than the chrome, but love the color. I need to change out my shower head…any opinions on using a chrome or satin nickel shower head even though the shower trim is polished nickel? I never wipe off my showerhead except when i clean the bathroom…lol

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors