Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

KD - budget disconnect

Carrie B
9 years ago

I hired my KD almost a year ago, and was very clear about my budget from the outset - so much so that I asked her to revise our contract to include language that her design would take my budget into account.

We went through several layout options & I settled on one - a layout that not only included a new window, but involved sealing up the existing kitchen door & moving it around the corner. I've asked her several times throughout the project if these major structural changes would fit into my budget.

Now, I've just begun the process of looking for a contractor and, while I haven't yet gotten any solid bids, I've had a couple - over the phone & via email - say something to the effect of: "it's going to be difficult/impossible to stick to your budget with those new openings/sealing up your old door."

Even my brother, who is in the construction business in another city, looked at my plans & agreed that my budget will most likely not allow for the plan as drawn.

So, I'm paying my KD by the hour, I've already paid her somewhere in the area of $2,000. I'm looking for your opinion on this. Not sure if I should just pay her to re-draw plans, or if this is an indication that she really doesn't listen & if I should cut my losses & hire someone new.

I know this is entirely subjective, and it depends on so much, but I'd very much like to hear some thoughts.

Comments (67)

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone!

As much as I knew how to, I did do kitchen and budget research before hiring a KD: I went to Lowes, Home Depot & IKEA to look around & talk to their staff - I'm not planning on doing high end at all. I spent a good amount of time reading these forums (& posted lots of photos of existing kitchen as well as those preliminary plans early on), I talked to friends & family & looked at their kitchens, I looked on HOUZZ & all over the Internet.

So, likely I didn't do all the RIGHT research, or maybe not enough research, but I did what I knew to do & one of the things people told me to do was to hire a designer & another person I knew recommended one... so... here I am. Making mistakes and hopefully learning along the way.

The existing kitchen is very old & stuff is starting to crumble. I started to think about thinks that will need replacing... and it was most of the kitchen, which led me to think that if I was going to replace all the components anyway, maybe I should move stuff to where I'd like it better.

So, maybe my expectations were unrealistic. Probably were, given that I don't (or didn't) know anything.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

carrieb...I just thought I would add that we remodeled our kitchen this year. It is a small-ish kitchen, 11x15, and we did a complete gut to the studs, closed up one door, replaced a window making it a little bigger, removed 1 1/2 walls to open up to the living room/dining room....new everything...floors, cabinets, counters, appliances, plumbing, all new wiring/electrical, lighting, etc...complete reno. We spent just a tad under $35,000 BUT it was all DIY except the electrical and counters...and I acted as my own kitchen designer with the help of GW. We live a bit west of Cleveland, OH so I think a similar type of demographic. I think $30,000 is low if you plan on hiring out all the labor. Just an opinion from someone who has been through it recently.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

viennamommy19 - I live in south Philly, and most contractors from the northern (and western 'burbs) aren't interested in coming into the city, but if Tony is willing to give an estimate... My appliances & IKEA cabinets are pretty low-end, as far as these things go. My house cost $81,000 back in 1999. I could probably get over $200,000 for it, now, but it's under 1,200 square feet and in a middle/working class neighborhood.

My kitchen is small - 8' x 12' and has awkward/odd angles & doors to contend with. So, while it's a small space, I think it's probably a challenge to design around. My hiring a designer was, I think, the right choice (though it seems quite possible that I hired to wrong one.) I believe in good design (I'm a garden designer & know the consequence of poor design) and I know nothing about kitchens.

I also knew, given my space, that I wouldn't get everything I wanted, and the design with the new window/door gave me the most of what I desired.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I guess I did mine backwards. I investigated everything before I made any phone calls. I believe in doing my research and being an informed consumer for everything I buy.

I got on the internet and checked out costs. I investigated the costs of appliances, tile, accessories, plumbing fixtures, cabinets, flooring, counters. I got in my car and drove to granite yards and had conversations with them. I checked out labour costs from the internet and conversations with people. I knew we were going to enlarge the space and I knew it was going to be cheaper to go out the front than the back because the roofline was already in place in the front and no engineering would be required. I went to our district hall and learned about what was required for a properly done job in terms of pulling permits and bringing things up to code.

Then and only then, did I start making phone calls.

I wouldn't rely on a KD for giving me an idea on construction costs any more than I would have relied on my mailman, that's what my GC was for, they both have their roles to play as do I.

To the OP- I would back off, tell the KD you have some homework to do and then after having done that, and/or changed your expectations or your budget, call her back. But only if you think you can work with her throughout the job.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

My wife and I have very extensive construction experience (60+ years). We hired my interior design professor when we remodeled out master bath. A good designer pays for herself tenfold, and a wise remodeler knows what they don't know.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Carrieb- was ikea able to give you a list of contractors? I found this guy just by googling.

I just emailed my parents for Tony's info and I'll get back to you as soon as I hear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea installer in Philly

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

We have a similar sized kitchen (7.5x12) in a much higher-cost area (DC) and we did a gut remodel this summer with some structural work for about $30k. That included low/mid-grade cabinets (Diamond), quartz countertops, wood flooring, an electrical upgrade, opening up a load-bearing wall & moving plumbing a few feet on a slab. Factor in all the other stuff (appliances, backsplash tile, banquette, lighting, etc etc etc) we spent at least another $10k.

I went to college in Philly and I'm pretty sure costs there are much lower than DC, so you should be able to get at least some of what you want for your budget. It's really hard to find a reasonable, reliable contractor - I spent a lot of time planning and we had quotes that were more than twice what we eventually spent. We also made an initially disastrous pick with a contractor whose firm fell apart a few weeks after they took our deposit. In the end, we used a firm that had rock solid recommendations from friends/colleagues.

Fwiw, I would put your current KD on ice until you find a contractor; once you do, having a good KD who gets every detail of the cabinet order & install correct is well worth it. But it doesn't sound like your current designer is necessarily the right person to do that.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Op: the private msg I sent u earlier included a contractor company I used off of angieslist. I don't know how experienced they are with IKEA cabinets, but IMHO, there is a lot more skillset u'll need other than assembling DIY cabinets and hanging them. From what I remember of your project, you'll need most of the specialties, like plumbing, electric, construction, windows, doors measurements and install, etc. (Don't forget to hire contractor to take care of city permits; believe only contractors registered with City can do that). I had all that done as well.

How far along is your design? FYi, The contractor I used,at the appropriate time, submitted some of my design plans to city to obtain permits.

P.S. Yes it can be overwhelming to completely re-do a kitchen, so occasionally you just have to take a deep breath before diving back in. Also consider doing the kitchen in 2 back-to-back phases to avoid decision-overload.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

This is an Ikea kitchen we did last year, budget of $7500. The kitchen was about 12x12. This was 100% DIY, but Ikea is designed to be very DIY friendly. If you can work a screwdriver, you can build Ikea cabinets. You should easily be able to do an 8x12 Ikea kitchen for $30K, even with a window and door change.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea kitchen

• threegraces
    9 years ago

typing one-handed w/a sleeping newborn in the other...wanted to say that moving a door for us added about 5K to our remodel in rural midwest.

we ended up forgoing new appliances for the time being as our fridge and range worked perfectly well.

I do find it frustrating that the consumer seems to be expected to know pricing on things that are not transparent. I can't go to amazon and price wall removal. Yes, I can estimate a lot on the goods end - cabs, flooring, appliances, but how are we supposed to have any clue what labor and construction materials cost unless we ask a pro?

Here is a link that might be useful: my reveal

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I have done projects with budgets ranging from 5K to over 100K. The thing that ties each one of these projects together is that it always costs more to do what the customer wants to do than they have in their budget! You can do a lot of research on the front end to see what others have spent, but since each project is individual, that only gets you into the ballpark. However, if the ballpark is in New York, and you are in Cleveland, you've got some readjusting of your expectations to do in your planning stage before you even start to ask for quotes.

We all start each project dreaming of the "perfect" kitchen, only to discover that the granite that we really like is actually marble and won't hold up like we expect and costs 9K to boot. And that is why it is SO important to prioritize a renovation. Making a list of "must have's" and "like to have's" keeps everyone in focus on WHY you are doing the project in the first place.

If better functionality is tops on the must have list, and that involves some changing of the home's structure, then you look for places to save $$. Like maybe DIYing a significant portion of the project and sourcing used cabinets through the ReStore. Ikea is a good choice, but only if you assemble and install yourself. By the time you pay a contractor to do that, you could have bought already assembled cabinets that come in many more sizes and styles.

Unfortunately, if you are not handy, and have to pay labor, that will be a significant portion of a budget. Especially if you want to start doing changes to the home itself rather than just the kitchen surfaces. Perhaps you can drop back and make a priority list for your project. And make another list of any skills that you can bring to the table to lower the costs. Include any family and friends that you can trade favors for as well. Figure out if you could do the project in phases, like do the structural changes now, and do the more cosmetic ones later. Where there is a will, there is a way, even if your budget isn't "average".

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The thing that ties each one of these projects together is that it always costs more to do what the customer wants to do than they have in their budget!

The good thing is you'll know so much more when it comes time for your second remodel! (we just did our third, and came in less than 10% over budget, which we considered a huge victory).

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! ViennaMommy - John Mitchell is coming here to look at my project on Friday!

Thanks everyone. Lots of good stuff to think about. I'm really not handy at all, so assembling & installing cabinets is not something I feel competent doing. The painting of walls I can do myself, but that's about it.

The kitchen is an awkward space - & I absolutely think that hiring a (good) designer will be money well spent. I think many of you are right when you say to take a break with the current designer. I've got two contractors coming over this week, and I'm hoping that maybe one of them can make some good suggestions, maybe for a designer.

I'm attaching my existing space (the first floor of my home includes the kitchen & living room (& "dining area" - really just a place for a small table.)

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

I really respect people who stick to their budgets! If it is a priority you can definitely make it happen! $30k seems reasonable. I have friends who did kitchen updates for only a few thousand dollars! If it were me, I would stop using the KD and work on the design myself. I believe there is an IKEA forum to help with kitchen ideas, as well as this forum- altogether many people who will give you free advice and help.

Find inspiration photos you like, and think about the kitchen you would like to create in terms of beauty and functionality. If you find a contractor you can trust and who is fair, you should be able to stick to your budget. Make sure the items/options you are pricing fit into your budget and you should be good to go.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

raenjapan - your kitchen is lovely, and absolutely inspiring!

• RChicago
    9 years ago

Piping in just to emphasize what others have said so that future remodelers may learn from my mistakes.

We hired an architect to help with a kitchen and bath. We went with this architect because of needed structural changes and because of her experience with Ikea.

She designed a kitchen that included an addition. She said that the bones of the addition would cost approximately $30k. Not chump change, but as we live in the kitchen and plan to stay in the house for 20 years, we decided to splurge. We were also paying by the hour and spent way more than $2k on the kitchen plans. Once we had contractors come in, no one could touch the addition for less than $100k. Yes, the architect was that wrong. Plans scrapped.

Before we found that out, she also designed our master bath. She generated (and we paid for) a 70-page specs document that the GC barely referenced. Also, money down the drain. Sure, some of it was boiler plate, but none of it was necessary.

We eventually got smart. For the second bath, which required simply replacing what was already there, we hired a contractor directly. Bought all the materials ourselves.

And with attempt #2 at the kitchen and first floor remodel, we hired a team of kitchen designers who are licensed GC's to design and manage the project. We agreed to a flat fee up front and feel good about the outcome thus far.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

That's fantastic!!!! I have no knowledge of him but his site impressed me and clearly he's well versed in Ikea. Good luck and stick to your guns!!!

• happyx5
    9 years ago

I'm just going to say this, because I think it every time I read a response by "Hollysprings". I'm sorry if this hijacks the post but I'm so sick of seeing her responses (95% of which are the first response, so they actually do hijack the post)

"Hollysprings" -- From what I can tell you are an out of work kitchen designer in a - let me try to be delicate here and say - NON major market -- you looked up what a Philadelphia kitchen remodel costs on the internet and suddenly you're going to be an expert - no scratch that, you're going preachy and scold someone for not foreseeing the situation they find themselves in, specifically for their town?

Shame on you, for this and literally EVERY post I've ever seen you write on here. You may have a kernel of truth in what you have to say, but your tone RUINS it for me. I find your posts so off-putting, they are one of the primary reasons I no longer come to this kitchen forum!

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

Not at all related to HS, but I find his/her posts very realistic and practical and I value the information that I get from them. I'd rather have someone taking me to task than all jumping on my bandwagon if I am heading off the track.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Threegraces - I just noticed your link. Lovely Lovely Lovely! I also plan on going with a white kitchen - hoping it really opens up my little first floor!

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Happtimes:

I am sorry but in my opinion you are totally wrong on this, Hollysprings is one of the best contributors to this forum (again, in my opinion)

He/she offers real world thoughts and each post is carefully written without holding back any punches and certainly not sugar coating anything

I would much rather have that then someone always agreeing with me when looking for advice about how to deal with my big bad contractor/KD/stone fabricator who I think wronged me somehow

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

There's a world of difference between a 1 post wonder's deliberate nastiness and 12 years of multiple, helpful, if blunt, postings. Happytimes, YOUR post is over the line.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Another thumbs up for Holly and we certainly don't always agree :)

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Well, back OT.

Carrieb, this has been disheartening for you to say the least, hasn't it? It's nice to see you able to gain some optimism from the referrals.

I can't speak to costs, because I'm essentially indigent. But I can tell you that having been married to a GC for 18 years that yes, architects seem to live in an alternate universe. Or at least not one their clients ever live in.

I'd also let the "KD" go and continue to save. If your plan of moving structural things gives you the kitchen you really want, hang tight. You might want to get it done, but hold yourself in check and do not settle.

Remind yourself to go apples to apples with the contractors you're meeting. Hang onto your budget. Let them see the KD plans you really like, but be open to suggestion. After all, it's not her line of work.

Everyone has opinions. A few people such as I, HollySprings, Trebuchat, and a few others are blunt, to the point, and not sugar coaters. (I made that term up. Could you tell?) When we're hoping for other or more optimistic advice or input, to confirm what you think, sometimes the blunt "you're nuts" "you don't have enough money" just plain deflates us. Nowhere else to go but up from there and you're gaining the tools here.

You might have paid $80k, but what's your property value now? What would a new kitchen with a more functional design add to your value? How would you like it, resale value be damned?

You did the best you could, starting in the right direction. You asked. You read. and Now you're better prepared to continue on to get what you want.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again, everyone. I do appreciate any input I get - even if I do often argue with it. ;-)

My KD gave me a design that gives me most of what I want, but I'm not convinced it's the best design I could have, or that moving the door is really necessary. I'm hoping to get some more input (from you all, contractors, maybe another KD...) before any walls get broken through.

My house is definitely worth more, now. Probably 3x that much. While I would hope that re-designing my kitchen will raise the value, the truth is (1) I hope to live in this house another 20 years - whatever I do will be outdated by then and (2) I'm kind of (to say the least) quirky in what I want. Getting MY ideal kitchen may not do much for resale value...

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

"Hunney," she said, hand on hip, wagging finger in the air, "Don'tchu worry 'bout no quirk, now, hear? We all got 'em. 'Cept me, dat is. Doctor-man, he gabe me a pill for that. I dun be fine. But 'nuff 'bout me..."

One woman's quirk is another woman's nightmare, or going in the other direction, someone's pleasure at finding a kitchen that is not a cookie cutter from the early, 21st century teens.

Goodness, if you plan to live there that long, who cares about resale by then? "Puuuuuhhhhhlzeeeee," she moaned.

From someone who accepted "good enough for now" for too many years, and someone who let herself be rushed by a DH-GC-butt head who had checked out of the marriage, anyway? Get. What. You. Want. Even if you have to save for it.

Then someday, I'll post pictures of my own, quirky, reuse center, Freecycle, side-of-the-road, refinished, painted, and frequently changed kitchen. And, believe it or not, it all looks cohesive. At the moment, at least. :)

Looking to hear what the GCs have to say when they hear they're not necessarily bound by an architect's universe. :)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

carrieb - maybe start, if you already haven't done so, another thread with your current floorplan and some pics and what sort of things you're looking for in a kitchen. You'll get some really good suggestions, and hopefully hollysprings will chime in because his/her suggestions are always a really good jumping off point and often a landing spot.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

carrie, how does the KD's plan do/not do some of the things we all suggested last winter (making sure you look out at the garden, etc.)? What's missing?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

blfenton - I did post the existing layout & some photos - I've linked it below. The topic I posted asked specifically about corners, so maybe I should start a new thread.

sjhockeyfan - you remember me! I remember you, too. Thanks. The KD plan does give me most of what I want - (I'll post that soon, too) including a new window where my table will be (which is in the same place it is now) so I can see my garden when I eat my breakfast, and puts the sink in the peninsula (the new plan includes a peninsula at pretty much the same place it is now - so instead of looking at a wall, I'll be looking into the living room at the sink. The main drawback to the new plan is that it involves moving the door (seal up existing, remove existing steps, hole in brick wall, new door, new steps) which makes this a bigger/more expensive project than I'd anticipated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conrners convo. w/ images.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

carrie, do you have a link to the old thread? I was one of those who wanted you to move a door or window I think.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEFreeman - I remember you. You're sassy and I liked you. I still like you.

Yeah, I'm not going to worry too much (or at all) about re-sale. Of course, I want what I want, but not too much is fancy. So glad to be back here. I kind of dropped off when I got busy. Plus, I'd hired a KD and I let that lull me into complacency. Bad idea!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Let me know if I should really start a new post...

Here's the new KD design - sorry the left hand of the pdf got cut off.

Big changes are the new door & new window (& sealing up old door.) My little kitchen table currently sits just outside the peninsula, and, in this plan, that will stay the same with a window added for a garden view from one side of the table.

Also, the sink will move onto the peninsula - so, while not looking directly out at the garden, at least I won't be looking at a wall when I wash dishes.

I'm not a cook - so appliances are not high end and are pretty minimal.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Start a new post so people see it, if you're looking for feedback.

First thing I thought of was moving the back door, but not for this arrangement. The entry goes right past the range, and you only get a two burner? With this layout, why not keep the door in the back, and move it to where the window is now?

I think we'll need clearer pictures. What's that thing on the right next to the staircases?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, marcolo. I'll do that. To the right of the staircase is the door to the landing & basement steps.

• mostone
    9 years ago

Carrieb, I understand your reluctance to install the cabinets but I would encourage you to consider building them. They just aren't hard and you don't need to have any real skill to do them. This could save you enough money to do something out of your comfort zone.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mostone - I'm sure you're right. At the same time, assembling a simple filing cabinet a year or so ago had me in tears. I ended up posting a plaintive plea on FB, and a neighbor who I'm not even close with took pity & came over to help.

I live alone & don't even really think I have any "handy friends" to call in.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

There are some IKEA installers who will install the boxes that you have previously assembled for less than if they also assemble the boxes.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom - of course, that makes sense. The GC who came out today told me that with the labor charge for assembly of the IKEA cabinets, I might as well buy something other than IKEA...

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

hi carrieb,
    I did find considerable savings in project managing myself. It meant that I was inconvenienced for much longer with a home under construction, but I saved quite a lot of money. For example, hire one person to do the demo - unskilled. when the place is open and ready, hire another to move the door, a plumber to move the sink stuff, an electrician to do the rough in, etc. It will take a long time to get three estimates for each stage, let each know they will get cashed out at the end of their task. A large chunk of the reno budget goes to the project manager/builder, this is a way to control the budget. The cabinets and appliances will be the smallest line item in your budget, if you go with IKEA it will be under 10K. I did three bathrooms and huge kitchen for under $20K in cabinets and appliances.

60K will get you a much larger reno, that dollar amount is not applicable to your very compact project.

• crl_
    9 years ago

We did pay someone to assemble our ikea cabinets. We had a $40 an hour carpenter (I GCed that remodel). He did our drywall work, assembled and installed our ikea cabinets and installed our cork flooring. No doubt that did wipe out some of our savings from using IKEA (we could not assemble as we were living on the other coast for most of the remodel--we did diy our island out of ikea cabinets and found them very easy to assemble).

But I did do some rough math at the time and we were still ahead given the quality of ikea cabinets. Their hardware is excellent for the money--note that they are in the middle of changing their entire kitchen cabinet system and I haven't done any research on the new stuff.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks detroit & crl. Apologies for the delay. I don't get notifications here (despite the box being checked off, multiple visits to my home page to check settings, and several emails to GW...)

I just don't know how I'd manage the project myself with a FT job, living alone, and with no experience whatsoever on anything building related. Just sounds overwhelming to me. I'd almost rather skip the project than DIY, or than doubling my budget. I know that sounds lazy & wimpy...

crl - maybe worth me looking some more for a contractor who will work w/ IKEA. I had one contractor out who specializes in IKEA, but he was arrogant AND expensive. Two other contractors all but said they would not install IKEA.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

I'm late to jump in, but I wanted to speak to your budget. We are finishing up this week, and we are coming in just under $30k, in the Boston area which isn't cheap. That $30k did not include a refrigerator or dishwasher, but it did include a range and hood. It was permitted work, done by professionals. We were down to the stuffs and needed plumbing and electrical work. We saved money by going with Barker cabinets and building ourselves, but we made lots of expensive choices: motorized trash, all custom sized, inserts, mid range granite, etc. However, I did work as my own kitchen designer. (My GC said that I made fewer mistakes, better understood the design, and was easier to work with that the KDs and architects he has worked with.). All I'm saying is that while it may be considered a lower budget by some, it's workable.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

Carrieb- I am so sorry that the Ikea installer was awful.

I'll check in with my parents for Tony's info.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Sure it's a DIY workable budget. We're not talking DIY project for anything here. The OP has made that clear. That's why the disconnect between what can be done for that budget is even being discussed. This is. 100% paid for contracted out labor project. With structural changes. The reality is to get handy, or increase the budget, or reduce the scope of the project. Period.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

carrieb, does the local ikea have a brochure on local contractors that will work with the cabinets? maybe get a quote from one of those companies.

I still have faith that you will figure this out. if you can price out the new door, and get that done separately by a carpenter, it may save you $$'s. there really is a high premium to working with a contractor. your project is very small, and the structural changes are not that great, just an adjustment to some openings, not an addition.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Great idea Detroit burb! I remember someone putting in an IKEA kitchen about 10 yrs ago and said the local ikea gave them a list of contractors. They did use one of those contractors and had a happy ending. They did not make changes to the kitchen layout though. Consider hiring separately for some of the specialities. Hire an IKEA contractor to do the cabinets and another contractor to do everything else (permits, construction, electrical, plumbing, etc). It may not be as expensive as you think either. That way you'll prolly get experienced contractors in their area of expertise. Divide the project up into smaller segments/milestones - consider delaying the decision-making of some of the later items like tile, etc.

Don't allow the project to overwhelm you, which it's starting to sound like may be happening.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, detroit_burb & Mags.

Yes, good idea to check in w/ IKEA - there's one just a mile south of me. I don't know if you saw that there will be permitting issues with putting in a window & door on the garden lot - a separate address, so working to figure that out before anything else.

Painting & tile (if I use any tile, that is) will be most likely DIY tasks.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

carrieb - jumping in here way late...but you (yes, *YOU*) can build the IKEA cabinets. Have faith, you can do that part. I wouldn't say to try the install part if you aren't extremely comfortable with that aspect, but you can build them for sure.

The first cabinet will be hard. The first one will likely have you in tears...get a nice bottle of wine and enjoy it along with some great music of your choice. I promise you that the 2nd one will be easier. And the 3rd, easier still. By the 4th one, you'll be rocking right along. And you'll be putting yourself right back into the correct side of your budget. :) I haven't looked, but I'll bet that there's even YouTube videos that will take you step by step through one.

Depending on how many cabinets you'll have, it might take you a few days to build them, but you can definitely do it. Even if you aren't especially good with these sorts of things. I built the ones for my mom's decent sized apartment rental kitchen over the course of two days.

IKEA has a list of contractors that works with them - stop by for sure and get them to give you that info. They want you to be able to complete your projects, so I would imagine that they would pick people that they receive good feedback about.

Don't be scared or disheartened, you can do this. If you were on the opposite end of the state, I'd tell you that you could pay me to assemble your cabinets. ;-)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Carrie, if I lived near you, I'd put your cabinets together for you. My three favorite words are "Some assembly required"! So to me that sounds like a fun project, with the money savings an added bonus.

But from everything I've heard about Ikea and Barker, they are geared toward people like you, who don't consider themselves handy. I suspect you have more lack of confidence than lack of skills.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Annkh, I agree.
    When I started this rebuild journey, I was afraid I'd mess up the screw/drill thing. And, I tried to put a flap on the bottom of the door with the screw gun in reverse. I had no idea it had directions.

Another really great help with things are The Cabinet Joint's assembly videos, which are now on YouTube. These would be for non-Ikea cabinets, of course, but they greatly relieved my fear of doing it wrong.

Now I cannot imagine paying for something assembled when I can whip it together myself and save a bundle. Not that I buy much on my teensy income, but once in a great while...