Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julienpete

carrara marble seam

julienpete
15 years ago

I am going to try and get a photo today but I need some opinions. The carrara marble went in yesterday and I really like it except on the large countertop/island where there is a seam runnning down it three quarters of the way across. I was not aware there was going to be a seam there and I understand if there has to be one but it is so obvious to me. Maybe I am being too fussy but I saw it immediately I walked into the kitchen. The slabs are quite different. One is lighter than the other so I am not sure if it is the seam itself or just the colors being different or both. Should I be able to see this? I feel like it looks messy and sticks out like a sore thumb? What should I expect with carrara? Should it still be fairly seamless and not noticeable?

Comments (6)

• janefan
    15 years ago

I don't know if this will help, but here's my carrara seam...

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Are you serious? They've tried to line the grey runs on most of the most prominent streaks there; they've got the direction of the movement to correspond very well on both slabs used to make the countertop. It doesn't look disjointed at all - in fact, I think they paid a lot of attention to selecting the slabs and the run directions.

What am I missing?

That said, I don't think your seam is the finest/thinnest in the world, but frankly, I'd have said that they did such a good job with marrying the two slabs that I wouldn't make too much of a fuss about that.

What is distressing you in the pictures above? What would you have preferred?

• malhgold
    15 years ago

mindstorm - the pics posted aren't those from the OP. She said she will post pics later. The pics above are from janefan's kitchen showing what her seams look like.

• janefan
    15 years ago

But thanks for the vote of confidence in my slab matches, mindstorm!! I was actually very impressed that they matched the veins up so closely. I was fine with my install--though the seam could probably be narrower, you really don't notice it unless you're close--those pix are pretty close!

• petra_granite
    15 years ago

Carrara Marble has heavy movement: no 2 slabs will ever look a like. Seam placement is 'suppose' to be gone over with you at time of template before fabrication. (oops)
    slabs size is around 114x70. So, if you don't want seams: depending: you have to buy another slab.

*Make sure you really really really seal that marble! wipe up spills immediately (especially alchohol and citrus juices, tomato paste, spegetti, grape juice)- don't place hot, wet or abrasive objects on the surface- employ the use of trivets and mats-beware: when white marble is hit with a hard object (a pot, or a can falling from the shelf), the crystal structure changes in the struck area of the stone. You get opaque spots that cannot be repaired. Be careful! I know 'Martha Stewart kitchen' look is in! Well, Martha Stewart can afford to replace or resurface her countertop if they get stained! (only my advice)
    *if you have a scrap piece from your kitchen of the marble: do test with it using different things to see what stains the marble.
    Speaking from experience:
    I stained my own ROSSO LEVANTE purple/red marble computer desktop with an apple juice ring; and I KNOW BETTER than to leave a cup on my computer with juice that ran down the cup!!! I was being lazy! WILL NOT COME OUT:(tried several agents)& I basically etched the marble. I will have to have the 16x16 top resurfaced. right! not!

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Oh god! I'm such an idiot. Sorry Julienpete and janefan. I should have guessed - even the backsplash is up in those pictures, the counter install couldn't very well have been just done!

Janefan, your kitchen looks magnificent. While you can surmise my love for the countertop, I think the kitchen looks fab too. The carrara subway mosaic for a short backsplash is genius. I've never before seen it done and it is really gorgeous.

I, too, don't think your seam looks especially pronounced or overly large at all. I looked very hard at those pictures trying to give you/julien something to complain about since you/they weren't happy with what I was seeing (evidently!) in those pictures. That was the closest I could come up with something to engender the disdain. ;-)