Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountdgal

SS Undermount Sink/Farmhouse Feel

mountdgal
9 years ago

Below find a photo of my narrow galley kitchen. I am renovating my kitchen with the following design choices: SS French Door fridge, Industrial style range and hood, Painting Cabinets white, Chrome cup pulls and knobs, Carrara Marble countertops, Single "coil spring" pull down faucet, Jacobean/walnut floors, and I am adding T&G plank to my sloped ceiling. I am also reconfiguring my cabinets to look like the photo in my next post. Because of the width and length of the kitchen, I have opted to do an undermount sink instead of a farmhouse (which I still love!!). The sink I am considering is the Vigo 32x19. It's priced right and has slightly rounded radius corners. I am concerned about whether this more modern looking sink will take away from the "modern farmhouse" kitchen feel I am going for. Can you guys please post photos of your cottage, farmhouse kitchens with undermount sink? Also if anyone has photos of their sink installed with Carrera that would be especially helpful. THANKS!

Comments (11)

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cabinet Reconfiguration

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Current kitchen

• User
    9 years ago

Can you explain what you meant by "Because of the width and length of the kitchen, I have opted to do an undermount sink instead of a farmhouse"? Does that mean that you think an apron front sink's size is an issue? You can get an apron front sink with a more farmhouse/traditional feel in several widths if your comment meant that size was a concern. I am thinking specifically of the Kohler Whitehaven sink which is enameled cast iron, and comes in 30", 33", and 36" widths. Furthermore, the Whitehaven apron front sink comes in both the traditional/typical apron sink height, as well as a shallower apron height for a less massive look. The corner drain also is great.

I've had stainless steel sinks in past homes, and didn't like the scratches, water spots, and that it never again looked sparkly after about the first week or two.

Kohler Whitehaven sink line

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Sahmmy. I was originally leaning towards the Whitehaven but because my kitchen is so narrow and I lack counter space, I thought an Undermount would add a bit more counter area and give the space a cleaner/more expansive feel. I also plan to purchase a gas pro style range and didn't want there to be too many competing focal points in such a small space. Maybe I can do a white cast iron undermount.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

IMO, an apron sink is going to make a statement (i.e., look busy?) and an undermount is going to kinda' disappear....which is what I think I would want in this space.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

I'm going for a similar look (cream cabinets, danby marble counters) and I'm doing a SS undermount with rounded edges. I wanted to do a farmhouse but it wasn't in the budget.

I was concerned that it would look to modern as well but I saw several pics on houzz that put my mind at ease.

Don't have any pics of my space to show yet- we are starting drywall on Monday. Not sure how far we are from cabinet install.

Here is a link that might be useful: My sink- Kraus 30

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both.

Ci_lantro you are correct. I am not a "modern" person but I just don't want too many competing focal points in the space. It's already so narrow and a think a Blue Star range will be a cool feature.

Viennamommy - good luck with your Reno. This is the look I am going for and a link to the sink I am considering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sink

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Why so many 18" stacks? And are they drawers or cabinets? 18" isnt very useful, imo.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OOTM_Mom.. I'm not sure what you mean. Please explain.

• Niki Friedman
    9 years ago

I think OOTM is referring to the 15" and 18" cabinets in your plan. Those aren't very big and perhaps combining them to make one large would be better. I am by no means an expert but if you could make those two 15" cabinets a single 30", it would be way more useful..

I love your inspiration kitchen. I'm from NYC and used to apartment living so I absolutely love a gorgeous galley kitchen. Are you doing a banquette at the end like the inspiration?

The sink is a fine choice though I wonder if you could get away with something smaller to have more counter space. I'll let the experts weigh in on that one.

• mountdgal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I plan on reconfiguring the cabinets so right now they are the perfect modular size to move around. Fellow NYer here.. Long Island via Queens.