Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Sneek Peek, Cabinets being installed!

tinker_2006
12 years ago

It's been a while since I posted, no time.. as DH and I are working hard to get this house to a point we can move in! We need to get our current home on the market while it is season in Florida.

Our home is a 1937 historic house, and we are trying to maintain a vintage feel.

Cabinets are build by a wonderful local Amish family, and the quality is wonderful! I struggled with the paint color and decided on Alabaster White (they use Sherwin Williams) Their standard was "Pearly White" and my only complaint is - I think they painted them the Pearly! In the kitchen.. I'm not 100% sure, so I guess it doesn't really matter - LOL, in the laundry room (the room with the beadboard - which is painted Alabaster) I see the difference. I'm not freaking out, so that's a good thing! LOL

I do wish I made the hood a little wider, but again.. it's okay. FLJoshua will be arriving Monday (maybe Tuesday) to template and install our soapstone - so excited!

The hardware I bought - seems too small - especially with the large bank of drawers... so need to think on that! (I'll take ideas - hint, hint).

From Sunrise - work in progress

LAUNDRY ROOM

This room I really see the difference in the Alabaster and the cabinets. It is something I can live with... but slightly disappointed the cabinets are a bit warmer in tone.

Comments (33)

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I won't speak about the wrong paint color other than to say that it and the cabinets are really great. You have a wonderful kitchen going in! What is your wall color? It feels very fresh. Have fun!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

The cabinets are beautiful. In some of the recent design discussions, there has been discussion of the value of layering different shades of white to give a room depth and prevent it from looking flat. So there could be some benefit....

Either way they look great.

• ellendi
    12 years ago

It does look beautiful! I do see what you mean about the difference in the two whites. That beiing said, thinking ahead, will the diference in the white steer you in a different direction with backsplash and counter?
    The difference between these two whites can make a difference in the way your choices will look over all.

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

They look beautiful! I love the hood too! Would love to see the knobs. What soapstone are you going with? So exciting!!

• hlove
    12 years ago

I actually love the white of the cabinets against the white of the beadboard, fwiw! The cabs look great!

• sandn
    12 years ago

Beautifully crafted cabinets.

• lafacia
    12 years ago

Beautiful! THinking of going with Dynasty cabinets but would love to know who did yours. We're just outside Philadelphia so Amish would be "local-ish." Thanks!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

So beautiful! You must be thrilled.
    I love the bead board in the laundry room,
    especially the depth and dimension
    that the subtle play of the warm cabinets on
    the cooler bead board provides.

• User
    12 years ago

tinker 2006-

The cabs look great, very fitting with the style of your home. And I have to say, I had no idea there were Amish in FLA, we have many here in NNY, but I was very surprised to learn there is a population in FLA.

sandyponder

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

The cabinets are beautiful and they look wonderful with your wall color!

On my monitor, the cabinets looks great with the trim, in the kitchen. The only place they don't seem to match is with the beadboard, in the laundry room. If that's the case IRL, I'd just repaint the beadboard.

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

very beautiful!!! can't wait to see more!

• eandhl
    12 years ago

Wow, beautiful cabinets and now Joshua to top it off. I have cast iron knobs that are either 2/3 or 3/4 of an inch. While I really love the look they are more difficult to work with. If I hadn't spent a fortune I would replace them with something slightly larger.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Props for the continuous faceframes/unit cabinets. It's the best work possible and most efficient use of materials, therefore a greener solution. Top marks all around!
    Casey

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

They look very nice!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Wonderful! The kitchen has a great feel to it already.

I kind of like the differences in the whites in the laundry.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

two thumbs up! love them!

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone, (and Rhome for your previous help when I was laying things out!) I'm thrilled with everything so far, except one pretty big gouge :( on the underside/light-rail of one cabinet. The white looked much whiter today, and this morning, there was not much of a difference in the bead-board and cabinets... but I did decide that it wouldn't look as good if everything was exactly the same shade. I'm really happy - it feels a lot different than the last new kitchen we had installed, I didn't love the color of the cabinets and it has never "felt right".

Friday, they'll be installing the 2 uppers and sinks for the kitchen and laundry room, and after 6 months of restoration, and work, it is being to feel like a home!

sandyponder, we have a small community of Amish - Mennonites in our area from Ohio. Speaking to our cabinet man today, his family is still in Ohio, and the cabinets are built up there and they drive up and get them. Here, in the winter, they have many of their families come and work and stay. Such a great company to do business with.. and the price of the cabinets - HALF of the other local kitchen places!!! No fancy computer drawings, everything was drawn by hand.

Changed my mind on my hardware after seeing the cabinets installed... so off to look for hardware!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Tinker! I haven't seen you for a while. How lovely to see your cabinets. They look beautifully made, fitting the style of your home. The hood details are wonderful.

Pearly is definetly different than Alabaster, but I think yours, whatever the color, look like a soft, antique-y white. Like Rhome, I like interplay of the two whites in the laundry room.

Which hardware were you thinking of previously? Might help those of us who've spent so much time lately looking at pulls suggest something.

You're getting close to an actual kitchen! Congrats.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Tinker, as I have told you, I love the style of the cabinets with the inset shaker style and the color seems to go with your home.

Due to our discussion, I brought a semi-gloss can of SW Alabaster and so far with two coats on it, it is not like the chip. So far (maybe since this quart was not a sample but semi-gloss SW Acrylic paint) the Alabaster seems lighter and more gray. Whites are so difficult to pick out. Wish I had the funds to buy the Shiloh Inset doors in the Polar White that seemed in the store to be the perfect white but due to two wide cabinets, I would have that frame in the middle of the cabinets when I opened the doors which bothered me.

The Alabaster paint chip seemed very close to BM White Dove and the BM Cloud White. The manager at SW says their SW Alabaster has a touch less raw umber and a touch less gold than BM White Dove. The BM Cloud White has a touch less raw umber than the SW Alabaster but a touch more gold. The BM Cloud White I was told as the same amount of gold as the BM White Dove with the difference being the BM White Dove has a touch more of Raw Umber. I wish I picked out my cabinet color first and the counters and then picked out the floor after installing new lighting since despite loving the tiles, it is limited my choices. It seems the Alabaster's 2nd coat is drying and it is now a little darker than the BM Cloud White and a little less warm. I will decide later on when my friend comes by to take me out for Thanksgiving. I have a Turkey here but he wants to go out to dinner and told me to cook the Turkey Breast for myself with leftovers all week.

I like the Pearly in your house a lot and maybe the SW Alabaster would have been not as warm for the style of your home. I like the layering of the colors.

I can't wait to see more of your home and see the doors with hardware!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

P.S. What white is on the window trim and molding trim on the wall? What gloss finish is it?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi lynn, I sent you an email, but I'll reply here too! The trim is SW Pearly White... I was going to change it, but think I'll keep the pearly! The trim is in a Semi Gloss finish.

I do have a frame in the middle of my sink base for support of the Shaw farm-style sink, which is very heavy!

I finally picked the hardware after struggling for months, and buying too many samples. My DH just doesn't understand why everything takes me so long! Color: I went with a satin nickel, chrome faucet and the light fixtures are aged brass which goes with my door hinges and doorknobs. I am a little nervous with mixing all the hardware... but it's done! I was really torn between aged brass, antique nickel and satin nickel so I think I took the easy way out - tell me QUICK if I'm wrong as I just placed the order today! LOL The cabinet maker needed to know the hinge color a long while ago, and that was my issue.... not seeing he cabinets in the kitchen I had a hard time deciding.

I went with Rejuvenation's vintage cup pulls

(all hardware satin nickel or brushed nickel - samples all seem to match)

a couple latches (under sink and above hood) {{gwi:1971425}}From Sunrise - work in progress

Cliffside pulls -

8" pulls for the large drawers and freezer drawer(s)
    12" for refrig door
    6" for a few other bottom 2 drawers (pulls on the top)

and plain knobs on doors

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Where are the cup pulls going? You mention that the Cliffside pulls are going on the drawers. You have a bit of a vintage look going and I'm wondering (just throwing this out for the heck of it) instead of going with the plain knobs on the doors maybe using something a little more vintagey (?) like maybe glass knobs or porcelain or even oval shaped.The plain knobs look very ordinary for your kitchen. (I think)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blfenton, the pulls will be going on all the top drawers... And you know, I did think of the crystal knobs and chickened out! All the door knobs in the house ARE crystal, so talk me into how great it would be to use crystal knobs instead of the plain ones! Lol

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Tinker2006, with your wall color and your style of your house and the trim color being the SW Pearly White, I think the cabinets look great in the Pearly White.

I like your choice of the hardware a lot.

My friend is coming by to take me out to dinner in 1.5 hours and he will get so upset if he sees I am playing around with painted boards and my tiles right now and every time I switch a board to another place, another one becomes my favorite. The darkest of the boards is BM White Dove. It is definitely darker than SW Alabaster and is a little lighter with a little more gold in it than the SW Pearly. I had called SW about the formulas and they told me the BM White Dove is darker than SW Alabaster which is slightly darker than BM Cloud White. SW Alabaster has a touch less gold than the BM Cloud White so in some lights appears a tad grayer but in other lights is perfect. BM White Dove does not match any of the colors in my tile but I kind of like the way the white is a middle of the range in the tile with the ivory in the tile lighter. My other friend that stopped by liked the BM Cloud White and the SW Alabaster the best but I am back towards leaning towards the BM White Dove that is a touch lighter than the SW Pearly White which I like a lot but it does not go that well with my new tiles. My tiles have that brown in them and a touch of gold in some of the tiles but not much that I think goes nice with the White Dove and the Cloud White. But in other lights it looks better with less yellow. I love the SW Dover White but the tiles have a lot of gray in them and I think too much yellow does not look great with my tiles. I hate to say it but in the house with the Cherry doors where I saw the tiles is what looks best with the tiles and so does my cherry floors but I do not get a lot of light in my interior townhouse so I am trying to keep the kitchen light.

Again, I love your cabinets and your hardware choices. I find your home coming along great!

• blfenton
    12 years ago

If you can sneak in a couple of crystal knob samples past DH I would at least take a look at them. If you don't like them you haven't lost anything but at least you will know for sure.
    With your kitchen and bay windows I can see them working. Others may disagree and you may find you don't like them but I would give them a try. You might try to find ones that have a ring or small stem of the nickel at the base. Maybe try Lee Valley.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

LOVE IT! I'm seriously thinking about white Amish-made cabinets (and I'm from Ohio) so this is getting me very excited. Please post again when you get your soapstone!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Tinker_2006, any updates on your cabinets since you told me they are in fact SW Alabaster and they look nice on my monitor. I would love to see more. Hope you are happy since they look very well made.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Tinker_2006, How is your kitchen progress coming along? I would love to see more. I know I am a pest, but I would love to see more of the Alabaster paint color in a finished kitchen. :)

• phoggie
    12 years ago

Hey Tinker~~
    What color is your kitchen paint?...love it~
    I am so anxous to see your finished project....you always
    do such a great job of decorating and pulling everything together.....do keep us posted on all of your progress.
    Much luck to ya!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Tinker2006, any updated pictures of your kitchen and laundry room?

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    12 years ago

getting closer!! The holiday is delaying things a bit! Our cabinet installer is on vacation and has to finish putting the hardware on and adjusting the doors. Floors are being refinished this week.... FL Joshua returned and installed my laundry room soapstone and remove my very first ding on the kitchen counter top! We still have a ways to go.. but plan on moving in and finishing the house as we live there. I'll post more pictures soon!!!

• tarhoo
    12 years ago

Hi, Your cabinets look fantastic! I am building a house now and in the process of picking cabinets... :/ On a different note, I would love for you to share your wall paint color??? It looks great! Thank you.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Tinker, you mentioned hardware on your post today. What did you decide on?

I, too, am looking forward to more pics of your beautiful kitchen.