Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linedry

Is this kitchen with no backsplash functional? (see picture)

linedry
9 years ago

Hi Kitchen gurus,

Would this kitchen possibly work for people who actually cook? Beautiful view and light, but it seems like the architect or homeowners don't cook? Or could I be wrong, is it possible to actually use a counter without a backsplash? My question is not one of storage, layout of the work triangle, etc, (or those function-related questions), it is simply about the wear over time of this kind of design, where there are only windows as a backsplash. I wouldn't *choose* this design, but if you had to live in a house already set up like this, could it even work for a family that cooks? Or would this be a deal breaker for you-- you'd have to either renovate the kitchen, move, or eat out forever? TIA for insights!

Comments (26)

• User
    9 years ago

The ONLY way that works for soeone who cookd is if there is an OCD full time maid on staff. It's about looks not cooks. There are MANY locations in the country where the setup would volate building codes. A range under a window, no electrical outlets, etc.

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Would work for me! I had the 4" laminate backsplash and painted wall forever, and I rarely had to wash my walls. I now have a tile backsplash, but I got it beacuse I like the look, not because I was worried about protecting my walls. I cook a lot, I guess I'm just not that messy.

Behind the range would be the only place I'd be slightly concerned, unless that is an awesome venthood.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I would have to try to live with it. I know are backsplash catches a lot of minor stuff but especially water. I would imagine you would have to wash those windows everyday.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

My big concern is where the outlets are.

Riser on range is adequate to shield wood windows.

+ Counters are deeper than standard. (Note that counter runs behind the range.) Deeper counters help to mitigate splash factor. Natural light & view make it 'worth it' to crack out the window cleaner....something I would much rather do than, say, dig dirt & dog hair from behind and around those faux feet that some like to add to complicate a toe kick. Kinda' a Pick Your Poison for the sake of aesthetics type of thing.

- After dark lighting looks inadequate, esp. with the dark counters and windows that bleed light outdoors.

-No uppers. Duh. I would expect the part of the kitchen that we can't see to have a wonderful wall of cabs...

-/- The designer just HAD to be trendy. Black. White. Grey. Waterfall end. IMO, that Stick a Fork In It domino color combo doesn't work in this woodsy contemporary kitchen. Waterfall end is a costly waste of material that will say Twenty Teens Kitchen in a few years.

But, the bottom line is that this is a kitchen I would want to be in. Love that wall of windows!!

• eam44
    9 years ago

I love it! It actually does have a backsplash, a built-in splash behind the range, and GLASS. Keeping that window glass clean would be much more of a challenge than keeping opaque tile looking clean, but wouldn't it be worth it for the view? Just stock up on Windex and buy stock in SCJohnson. A house like this would almost certainly have a cleaning staff or housekeeper.

My only objection is to the black pillars/partitions or whatever they are. I hope pal takes a look and gives some input. Great image line.

This post was edited by EAM44 on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 8:34

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It appears that there are popup outlets , first one being to the left of the left casement window. We had a sheet glass backsplash and if we cooked something greasy, we Windexed it. I think the window behind the stove could get a bit dirty if they cook greasy stuff a lot.

• emma
    9 years ago

Wow, I love that. It would work for me I don't cook except for breakfast once or twice a week. I think I would give up all cooking for that view. The gas stove would have to go that's for sure. You will have yucky stuff on your windows like people have on their cabinets with a gas stove. But then glass is easier to clean than cabinets.

I am so envious.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

That wall is basically a glass curtain wall and the black pillars hold up a beam. Isn't there probably an island out of the shot across from the range or an area of tall stuff like the fridge to the right or at a right angle right behind the photographer?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I'd prefer a 4"-6" ledge/shelf behind the counter, both as a protector against sink/range splash, and as a place to house the outlets. It's also a very functional detail when done correctly and doesn't take away from the window view at all.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I'd want a bigger hood but I don't see a problem anywhere else. Many people don't cook with grease that often.

The wood bit of ceiling is full of can lights and might actually make for a bright work area.

I would sure hope that the counter is supported enough to stand on though.

• practigal
    9 years ago

There was a post on this recently (but I cannot find it). The problem with putting the cooktop below the window was that if there was a fire on the cooktop it could possibly heat the window enough that the window cracks and then the hole in the window becomes a chimney and basically burns that side of your house. This is one of the reasons it is not allowed by most building codes. For myself, it would depend upon what type of cooktop one of those with very powerful gas burners would be inappropriate as they can generate a tremendous amount of heat under normal circumstances but induction might be just fine...subject to local code.

I am curious about the pop up electrical outlets, how does water or other accidental spills not drip down into them?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I really wanted back-painted glass for my BS but not to be. Those that have it say it is easy to clean.
    I hardly ever have to clean my tile but I don't fry items so probably less messy than most.
    I am sure the glass behind the cooktop must be tempered to meet code but I am not the expert on this.
    It would be interesting to see the rest of the kitchen.

For me - that much glass with a south exposure and looking out onto the street would not be that exciting. If I were in the right location - possibly.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I would love it. It would be worth it to me to clean the windows regularly to have that view (if the home is situated where there is actually a great view).

The pop-up plugs I've seen are sealed and being that the counters are deeper than normal, I doubt there is much spillage where they would be located.

I cook daily and I rarely have to clean off my backsplash. With the deeper counters, I really don't see this would be a problem. I do have to wash my window over the sink more regularly but, then again, for the view it's worth it.

I would be hesitant to have my stove in front of a window but that is the only issue I would have with this beautiful room.

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I love it and I think it would be very functional. Glass is so easy to clean. I don't cook with a whole lot of grease and I don't mind some water/whatever spots on windows from time to time. I love the black and white with the waterfall edge and the warmth from the wood trim. Sign me up.

• bmorepanic
    9 years ago

If wolf makes a 9" backsplash, that's what I'd get. I'd also make sure the windows did not have a coating on the inside. Possibly that's because I've had tomatoes spit hot oil a pretty fair distance.

If the sink water continually splashed the window, I'd get a different faucet. That's a pretty high one.

Oh and buy a squeege.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

I would love it and I wouldn't care one bit if my windows were dirty.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Pal et al., what do you call the wood piece with lighting on the ceiling/soffit? I see that in a lot of posh modern homes. Just wondering....

• marcolo
    9 years ago

This one time? At band camp? The cook was making bacon? Next to a window. Then there was a fire? And the glass cracked? And then the air sucked his head into the hole and then some badgers took off with him into the woods but I got his Lynyrd Skynyrd hat because I liked it.

This has been another episode of, "I Put a Range in Front of a Window and Now I'm Gonna Die, Said No One Ever."

This post was edited by marcolo on Sat, Nov 8, 14 at 1:36

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

I'd happily attempt to cook in this kitchen. Yet somehow I imagine my family finding me at the counter with a knife in my hand, poised mid-chop, staring out the window at some far more interesting bird. Or at the range, vacantly stirring a sauté pan of burning onions as I admire the sunset.

Cut fingers and charred food aside, I'd learn to live with it if you made me...

Seriously though, I do wonder how it looks at night. That's a lot of black to look at when the view goes away.

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

You crack my up Marcolo!

• spanky_md
    9 years ago

I would kill for that kitchen! There's nothing about it that worries me. Well, maybe marcolo's badgers staring at me through the windows when I am cooking bacon at midnight, but that's all. I love everything else about it.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

AWESOME kitchen! I see the pop up outlets hiding on the countertop FWIW. I'm nearly OCD about cleaning so keeping it looking nice would be no big deal.

• crl_
    9 years ago

The glass seems more practical than a lot of other backsplashes I have seen. Tumbled stone with crevices, crackle tile that needs to be sealed before it can even be installed, brick that seems impossible to wipe down. Glass would show spatters and such more, but it would also be easier to actually clean.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Doesn't seem to me to be any more work than cleaning tile or painted wall or whatever your backsplash is. Do people not wipe down their backsplashes regularly? I do mine weekly or whenever we have done some fry cooking (bacon, or some such) -- confessing that we are in a small space so it takes less time that that large expanse likely would, but also probably needs wiping more because of the close quarters.

I would adore to have more windows.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Rae, the point is that in your kitchen you can just wipe down the backsplash. In this kitchen you actually have to clean it to streak-free every time you cook. I still don't care. I love it.

• linedry
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated!