Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanborn5_gw

I did a search and still need answers re pulls on drawers!

sanborn5
16 years ago

I am using cup pulls and knobs. They are almost equal in numbers. I know this has been asked but I am torn.

When people have asked how many pulls on drawers, I think it really matters on the size. The pulls I want to order are 3" centers 1 1/4" deep or wide. The length is around 3 1/2 inches. I have some drawers that are 28" which I want two cup pulls on. I have have two banks of drawers that are 25". I have read somewhere on this forum that 30" should be two. But I think that would depend on the length of the pull and if the drawer is inset or full overlay. I am positive on the 28" I need two. It is the 25" that I am borderline. Now, that is the drawer size, not the cabinet size. I have the inset cabinets, and there is another maybe 1" - 2" of trim on either side of the drawer. This forum is 100% with me so far, any pictures or thoughts and ideas? FYI, I have held up some of the similar pulls I bought as samples and still can't deceide.

Comments (15)

• vjrnts
    16 years ago

Use blue tape and tape your samples on. Give it a couple of days . You won't be able to use them (the tape won't be that sturdy) but it will give you an idea of how it looks.

I really don't think that there is a hard and fast rule about this. Just tape your samples up and see how you react when you walk into the kitchen for a couple of days.

• spinmom
    16 years ago

30" is just a guideline as is the 28" that I've also seen. You make a great point about the inset vs. other style. My 30" cabinet with full overlay has a 30" drawer front while inset is certain to be several inches narrower. If you like the 2 pulls on 25" and you're using 3" cups, I would go for it.

• susan4664
    16 years ago

I also agonized over size (size does matter!!). I was having a pantry installed and two large pots & pans drawers that requires large handles- 5 or 7 inches. I didn't want two handles because I didn't want to have to use two hands to open the drawer.

I also had several 12 inch drawers that needed a 3 or 4 inch handle. It was very difficult finding a collection that had matching handles in varying sizes. I was doing a traditional style so the straight SS handles weren't an option. I did find what I wanted at my knobs.com in an oil rubbed bronze.

Good luck!

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I think that as long as a single pull LOOKS GOOD TO YOU, then it's fine.

The "two pulls if it's longer than 30" suggestion is 1) only a suggestion; and 2) predicated on the idea that the pulls are sort of short-ish.

If you can't get your real pulls to stick w/ tape, then make a mockup out of tape, roughly the same size, and put it in place.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

That advice probably came from me. I mentioned it a while ago on some other thread. My KD gave me that recommendation. When I told her what I was planning on storing in our drawers (pots & pans, casserole dishes, etc.) she thought that given the weight it would be better to have 2 pulls on drawers >30" b/c you want an even pull on both sides of the drawer so as not to "twist" the glides.

Like Talley_Sue says, its not a hard and fast rule, rather a recommendation. If you have larger pulls or lighter loads in the drawers you won't have the same issue. Check it out by making "blue" handles similar to your chosen pulls and see how they work... You'll then know what YOU need...

• Fori
    16 years ago

If you're on the west coast, get some of that waxy stuff used to secure breakables in the event of earthquakes. Museum wax. Then you can stick your pulls on.

If I had a wide heavy drawer, I think two pulls would be the worst! Then for sure the glides would be twisted--Nobody would be using BOTH pulls in my household!

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Excellent point about 2 pulls not being used. I have this problem daily--and *I'm* the one not using both pulls. I have loosened many an old pull (and jerked many a drawer) b/c I'm too lazy to grab both.

Francy

• Fori
    16 years ago

I'm currently living the two-pull nightmare on my half-installed dishdrawers. Until we get some substitute panels on (waiting for new kitchen), we're opening the darn things with magnets. To avoid bending things that aren't supposed to be tugged, we have the magnets bout 22" apart. We need to pull both to open the things and it is maddening to use two hands. My grandmother would be appalled at my shallow complaints I'm sure.

I think for a wide drawer with lots of weight, I'd want to make sure the face was sturdy and get a centered (or extra wide) single handle/pull. But really, those newfangled glides are sooooooooo awesome, I'm not sure it matters.

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for all the advise. I went over to the house this morning and I taped two pulls (different style but same size from some of the samples I got on line) and it was on the 25" drawers that I just couldn't make up my mind. It is all about the looks. I just finished ordering my pulls and knobs. There was only 4 drawers in question so I ordered the 4 extra. I really think I got a great deal. Emtek Providence series knobs (all solid brass) in polished chrome for bath and satin nickel for kitchen, and the cup pulls in the same series #86123- in the chrome and satin nickel. With two wardrobe knobs for the his & her doors hiding my laundry. That is 87 knobs and pulls for $420.82 inc. free shipping. I am so pleased. These pulls and knobs sell for almost double that at the cabinet stores and on most of the internet sites.

• amsunshine
    16 years ago

Agreed that it is all a matter of personal taste. I have a 25" drawer (in a 27" cabinet) and I have two cup pulls on it (they are the 4 1/2" somerset pulls from Top knobs, so even longer than yours). I love the look. Any width shorter than 25" might be iffy, though. My glides are the smooth accuride-type and we have no problems opening them with one hand/pull. So if you like the look, and you have the newer glides, I think you should go for it!

• kgyso
    16 years ago

sanborn5, where did you order your hardware from?

• sanborn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I ordered them from a site called Vandarn they are a division of Goleco decor from NY. I have never ordered from them or even heard of them, so I might be taking a chance. I will post back after I get them.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

bump

• minnt
    16 years ago

Fori,
    I love your comment about your grandmother being appalled at your thoughts. I sometimes have to shake myself when I am obsessing about things like knobs and pulls. I can't help it, though. This is a huge decision, after 7 months of big decisions with the house build. I am frozen in indecision!

• slc2053
    16 years ago

We too struggled with this. We decded to go with one handle for everything. Our handles are about 5 inches long I believe. The largest drawers we have are 30 inches and we used one handle. They are in our island and we store pots and pans in them. We don't have blum (?) glides but our drawers slide in and out very smoothly and the weight of the pots doesn't seem to be an issue at all. One handle worked for us as it was cheaper, less clutter on the fronts of the cabs, less to clean around...and kept things consistent throughout the kitchen. It's never been a problem. So, for the most part, is what you think looks best. Here is a photo, not the best, but a photo of our island cabinetry. The drawers in the middle are 30 inches wide and they have one pull.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!