Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lnia

Kitchen layout opinion

lynn
12 years ago

Hello kitchen blog,

We are currently working with an architect on the layout of our home. Would love your opinion on kitchen entrance from the garage. We are debating on option 1- entrance from back of kitchen via mudroom or option 2- mudroom to the right of garage and therefore entrance to kitchen on the south side, next to refrigerator. The pros.cons in my mind are as follows:

Option 1: pro: symmetry between pantry door on northwest corner (if facing house) and mudroom door, creating cooktop as focal point; home, slightly larger storage space in garage. Con: more foot traffic in kitchen

Option 2: pro; no foot traffic in work zone. Con: slightly less garage storage space; will it look ok- usually I am used to cabinets on north and south side of kitchen that end at same point...usually in line with island end point. On the right of the kitchen entrance will be dining area where we will have a bar/butlers area.

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post pthe PDF files of the layouts so that a visual may help in my descriptions above.

Many thanks!

Comments (10)

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

There are a couple of ways to do it, this is the way I like most.

Open adobe acrobat reader. Right-click the toolbar and choose More Tools. Near the bottom of the list is Select & Zoom Toolbar category and within that is the Snapshot Tool. Click the box to check the tool. Press ok and you should see a little camera with a selection box around it near the zoom percentage.

How it works in windows - press the camera and then draw a rectangle around what you want. It will snap a picture of the rectangle and copy it to the clipboard. Run the picture program of your choice (I use Microsoft paint out of laziness) and paste the image. Save as a jpeg and then follow the excellent instructions in buehl's excellent New to Kitchens post. Did I mention it was excellent?

Hint: The image will be what you see - so if its very reduced, other won't be able to read it.

Hint 2: You can select more than you can see.

Example of an inspiration picture I caged from a real estate listing pdf of an old English house. I liked it a lot, except the pulleys scary me.

Pics inside of pdf's tend towards low resolutions. If you don't like what you see, you can always ask architect or whoever to send you a jpg of the kitchen options and adjoining areas.

• User
    12 years ago

or open the pdf version and save as jpg. Then upload to photobucket or other program. Copy the html code for the photo and paste into your post.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

You might not be able to do what javachik recommended if you only have the free Acrobat Reader.

• rosie
    12 years ago

I can't visualize your layout, lnia (sorry), so I'll just say I really deplore making the main access to the house more like a servant's entrance, while the foyer echoes emptily. A sad hangover from bad old days when houses were typically designed by incompetents with some unfortunate assumption-baggage. So, my vote is for whichever one would be a more gracious and welcoming entry and deposit you all closest to the center of the house ready to spread to all points.

Regardless, seeing the new home you're designing for yourselves will be fun. Such a nice thing.

• lynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the advice on how to post. Unfortunately I could not convert my pdf to jpeg and I couldn't find the More Tools option.

So, I incorporated some of the advice from above...I took a picture of the pdf files and uploaded them to photobucket. the link is: http://s1114.photobucket.com/albums/k537/Lnia/

Would love your thoughts!!! Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: LNIA kitchens

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

I'd go with the one where the mudroom entry into kitchen isn't on the far left but more toward the center. you have less kitchen to walk thru which takes traffic out of the cook/prep area. It's closer to other areas of the home also.

Be sure to get a better copy of the layout and post for us to check function of kitchen also. architects aren't good on putting together a good functioning kitchen.

• lynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you desertsteph, I appreciate your opinion. Yes, less foot traffic. I just get concerned a little because the Original house (model) we were inspired by had it in the back ( plus several other differences with the overall layout) and the more and more we make changes I get worried the home won't be as nice....after all, I am not an architect or designer,....just a very visual person.

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

You have to run the actual reader - not by opening a pdf in a web page, to set more tools.

I don't like either a lot. The first creates a pretty twisty path - I guess I'm seeing a pile up of people while doors are opened and coats taken off. The second solves that but I'm not liking the layout a lot with the island between the sink and refrigerator and the main work surface near the range has a seating position in it!

I like the second one better for looking more homey (I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it does to me with the range in its niche and all). It could be fixed by adjusting the seating and adding a prep sink.

• ControlfreakECS
    12 years ago

IMO, #2 puts the traffic pattern right through your kitchen, and I don't like the lack of space on either side of the range. So, #1 has the better kitchen design (except you need a prep sink somewhere - probably the island). I agree with bmore that the mudroom layout in #1 seems off. Wondering if you can tweak that without moving it to the other location. I can't really tell, because the picture cuts things off a bit.

• lynn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you. Yes, the kitchen will be redesigned...current placement is just architect putting appliances anywhere. I will work with kitchen designer on acutual kitchen design. I was more interested on opinions of entry and I appreciate all the comments. Looks like entry from side and not back of kitchen is favorite. Thanks.