Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stayghost_gw

Backsplash opinion please

stayghost
11 years ago

Hi all,

We are halfway through our remodel and the cabs are up! The boss (aka wife) has decided on paint color (SW Passive Grey) and now we have the backsplash left to pick out. Looking for an opinion on which of the two she is mulling over you think looks better. They are at the bottom of the image, although they look much more subdued / blended and less punchy in person.

1.) Lowes "Galaxy Bamboo" Glass chicklets

2.) Lowes "Grey Glass" rectangles

Also open to additional suggestions of stock items we can pick up at the bigbox stores. Thanks!

Comments (21)

• localeater
    11 years ago

Are the two boxes in the middle the countertop and the floor?
    Your two backsplash choices are very, very different. In general what style are you going for? The chicklets are full of rich, warm tones. I love them, but a full backsplash of them might read quite dark. Do you have under cabinet lighting, natural light, is the room bright? The rectangles are very cool, too cool for me and I think too stark of a contrast with the black granite countertop- but that's just my opinion.
    BTW- It really does work if you make color photocopies of the tiles and tape them to the wall. Then you can see the backspash from different angles and distances- try it.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

prefer the left hand choice with the amber square mosaic pattern. It's pushing the style boundary a little bit but what the heck-you're seeing it in person-it might be adding a dimension, which can be a positive thing.

• springroz
    11 years ago

I think the chiclets goes perfectly! Love your granite!
    I don't care for the other one at all.

Nancy

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I don't like either. The grey glass looks too modern for your traditional cabinets. The chicklets would be too busy as an entire backsplash for me. What is your granite ? I see it as green?
    I can see a green or cream tile using the chicklets as a border or accent tile.
    There are many backsplashes here on GW that have borders and accents.Try googling Garden Web backsplashes with borders. I am hoping those with these will see this and post theirs.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Why only stock items at big box stores? We found our tile at a tile store. I googled it and HD carried it online only (much lower cost)so I ordered it. It was here in a few days.

• stayghost
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys

The middle images are indeed the granite and tile.
    - stainless w/ black accent appliances
    - verde butterfly granite
    - Jordan Maple cabs w/ cocoa glaze
    - sandy stone color ceramic tile with grey veining
    - door trim / window trim / baseboard trim is currently white

Not sure what the aesthetic goal of the wife is; But she's open to warm or cool. Traditional with modern touches is fine.

If anyone could post or link an image of something they think would go better it would be a huge help!

• akrogirl
    11 years ago

How about a plain white/cream tile with the chicklets as an accent stripe?

• User
    11 years ago

Lovely choices, and although I am not typically a big fan of grey, I think the one on the right will be wonderful. I think colorwise the one on the left might blend better but I thin over all next to the counter and cabinets, it might just be dark and blah. I think the one on the right will complement the floor and wall colors and add a bit of light.

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

I love the verde peacock. It was one of the granites
    we were considering. I think there is a lot going on in your kitchen. The cabinets have details. The floor has lovely veining and of course the peacock is gorgeous. So I think the back splash should be as simple as possible. Perhaps a glass or crackle subway. I am not a fan of borders, but perhaps the mosaic just behind the cooktop/stove. There is so much to love out there and editing it down is hard, but you have to live with all of it together and you don't want to be overwhelmed.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Here are a couple ideas

EPOCH Architectural Surfaces in Brushstrokes Whites Glass Wall Tile at Lowes
    {{!gwi}}
    Emser 3-in x 6-in Lucente Crystalline Glass Wall Tile Item #: 388216 at Lowes
    {{!gwi}}
    Dal tile Glass reflections cream soda various sizes at Home Depot
    {{!gwi}}
    Dal tile glass reflections whisper green various sizes at Home Depot
    {{!gwi}}

I have verde peacock granite which is similar to verde butterfly I used the following mixed mosaic vertically behind my cooktop/vent hood form countertop to ceiling
    {{!gwi}}

Sorry about the huge pictures

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I prefer warm to cool, but I'm not a fan of either....tile is permanent enough that it would be worthwhile to visit some place other than a big box store to select tile...you've done so well so far, why not make it complete?

• eam44
    11 years ago

Your wife has picked some nice finishes, and a fabulous paint color. As a result, either of her choices could work. The thing is, your granite is a complicated stone. With a complex stone, you usually want a simpler bs, but one with enough personality to hold its own next to the stone.

In a bs tile, you get complexity with color, texture, and size, so I would look for a bs tile that doesn't have all three going on, if you know what I mean.

Here are a few other options for you.

Beige Brick Glass tile

Taupe glass mosaic

Gold glass

Green iridescent tile

• Linda
    11 years ago

Another vote for a simpler, more subdued BS. You have gorgeous cabinets, elegant granite, nice flooring -- THAT'S ENOUGH! You don't want another competing element!

• phoggie
    11 years ago

I have been looking for BS tile also and found a "small version" of subway tile at Lowes on a foot square sheet for $2.98. I like the look better than the actual individual subway tile. I would like the simplicity of either the white or cream with your beautiful cabinets and dark counters. It might be worth your time to look at it. I have seen both of these sheets at HD and don't like either with your counter choices.....good luck.

• carp123
    11 years ago

I like EAM44 's beige brick glass tile. your granite looks really pretty.

• carp123
    11 years ago

I like EAM44 's beige brick glass tile. your granite looks really pretty.

• stayghost
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thought I would post a pic of how some of these materials actually look in real life to give a better reference for the backsplash. To me it looks pretty bright and the galaxy bamboo would work?

• eam44
    11 years ago

It's about to look much darker because you're placing black granite everywhere. Which brings me to the observation that it's a little premature to pick a bs tile. Wait till the granite is installed, then bring home samples and see if you like how they look in your space with your light. If you want the bamboo, it'll probably be fine. Good luck!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I would wait awhile on the BS. As EAM states the granite will really change how you see the light in the room. You'll be looking at the BS a long time--take your time after everything has been assembled.

• pcweary
    11 years ago

EAM44, Where is the beige brick glass tile found? Website?

• eam44
    11 years ago

You can find the tile at the link below. It sells for $32/sf. They have lots of other options in the same color range in glass and stone as well. You can play with the tile locator feature to find alternatives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile