Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it OK to paint the range grills?

Posted by swampwiz (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 12 at 4:49

My range grills are black and are showing some rust. I guess I will try to clean with chrome cleaning solvent, but I'm wondering if I could just paint them with some sort of paint that can withstand those high temperatures. Would that be advisable or even possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it OK to paint the range grills?

Oh gosh no, I don't think so. If the grates on your range are rusting you probably have cast iron, is that correct? If so you can use a fine sand paper to remove the rust (or a Mr. Clean scrubbie sponge), then oil the grates OR contact your manufacturer and buy replacement grates. The only "paint" I've ever seen on a grate is a baked-on enamel surface from the manufacturer. If you (gasp) don't like cast iron you can ask if they make an enameled grate for your stove.

o

It turned out that the rust was actually built up grease, so I was able to just about clean the grills (there is still a few built up area of gunk that is black, so it looks good now.)

o

You "may" be able to use high heat paint ... the same type that is intended for the inside of the fireplace or grills(Rustoleum makes one). I'd ask about it at Lowes or HD, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here