Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgyso

What is Plugmold? Can I still install it?

kgyso
16 years ago

I have been reading about outlet requirement in an island. I did not realize this was an issue. My island will be 66in by 40in. I had planned on putting one outlet under the seating area which has 12in countertop overhang. We will have a sink in the island. From what I was reading, our island outlet wound not pass code because it needs to be within 6in of countertop edge? Is this right?

I have read about Plugmold helping with this issue for others but I do not understand what Plugmold is? If I am in the last stages of my renov., can we still use Plugmold or did this need to be done before the sheetrock went up?

thanks

Comments (3)

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I don't know code requirements for certain--they can also vary by municipality. However, I can tell you about plugmold. It's a strip of outlets that is mounted under, usually, your upper cabinets so you don't have any outlets in your backsplash. Sometimes, though, you have to have at least one outlet b/c (as in my case) you have to have GFCI outlets. In my case I have to have 2 GCFI outlets in my kitchen (2 circuits in the kitchen). Some will say just put the whole strip on GFCI but I was told I couldn't. I don't know if that's true but to be honest, I wanted a couple of regular outlets anyway so I didn't argue about it.

If you do a search on "plugmold" you will find several threads discussing this, including at least one discussing plugmold under an island counter. At least one thread also has a picture of it mounted under a wall cabinet.

Type in "plugmold" in the search box at the bottom of the page at the end of the list of threads (not the top).

• spinmom
    16 years ago

It's like a power strip that is hardwired. It is much slimmer than a regular outlet box and can be cut to any length.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

also, I'm not sure about that "6 inches from edge" idea.

The national code, as I understand it, is that no place on the counter (even an island) should be more than 24" from an outlet. That's because most appliance cords are 24", and they don't want you using extension cords.

And whoever told buehl that she/he couldn't put the whole strip on GFCI (or GF*) either wasn't clear or was just plain wrong. You can put an entire CIRCUIT on GFCI by using a circuit break that's GFCI. (in fact, you could put the whole kitchen or the whole house on GFCI using those circuit breakers if you wanted to; it's just that it's not necessary, would be overkill).

Those circuit breakers are more expensive than normal ones; maybe $60 instead of $10. I've seen GFCI (or GFI) breakers that were $130, and regular breakers that were $9. But capacity varied as well.

You can also get GFCI protection on a circuit by putting a GFCI outlet or switch as the first receptacle on the line. (of course, the GFCI outlet will be more expensive than a regular outlet, as well; but the price difference isn't as dramatic--$14 instead of $7)