Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Have your QS oak cabs darkened over time?

deedles
11 years ago

Doing internet searches, coming up with both yes and no for answers.

So, anyone here have white oak QS cabs that can shed some light on this?

Or red oak QS, I guess, too..

Thanks

Comments (15)

• senator13
    11 years ago

Mine have only been in a year, but they have not noticablly darkened. My father is a hobby woodworker and he told me that it would amber slightly making it darker. I went with a natural finish to keep them from getting too dark.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Does QS make a difference? I don't see that it would. FWIW, here is my experience with oak panelling.

I can tell you that our oak panelling has darkened significantly over the maybe 30 years it has been in place. 10 years ago we removed a closet which had been built when the family room was built--maybe 20 years before.

The panelling inside the closet was nearly as pale as new cut oak. The panelling in the room that had been exposed to light was the typical golden oak color, very noticeably darker.

In the kitchen, on an oak wall, a light fixture was removed before we bought the house 20 years ago. I can still see the paler circle on the panelling.

I would predict it will definitely darken, but slowly.

I do wonder if there are any finishes that protect from this light-related darkening. A question for the best paint store you can find.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bells and Senator for weighing in. I'd love to see some pics of QS oak cabs in a natural finish. Or in any finish/stain, fwiw.

Maybe I'll go check Houzz. If you have a pic of yours, though, Senator, I'd be interested in seeing it!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I thought these cabs were especially gorgeous.

Here is a link that might be useful: QS oak kitchen

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh yes, I recognize Senators kitchen now. Those cabs ARE beautiful!

Thanks for finding that thread, Bellsmom.

• senator13
    11 years ago

I just took a picture of the kitchen for comparision. Now, keep in mind that most of the pictures from the link were taken in the afternoon in August, when the kitchen gets the most sun. Even still, I don't see much of a difference between August 2011 and November 2012.

• lisa0527
    11 years ago

I've had my rift cut white oak cabinets for about a year and also don't notice much, if any, darkening. QS is lovely, but take a look at rift cut if you're going for a little more modern look.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Lisa, I'd love it you could post a pic of your cabs. Do like rift cut oak, for sure.

Is your finish natural or a stain? Anyway, a pic with the details would be great!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

White oak is one of the woods that will oxidize to black given enough time and air exposure. (can't speak to red oak...)
    But if you keep the air away, like under a finish, then it keeps a very consistent color longer. Oak is not prone to sun-darkening as cherry is famous for doing.
    The finish on the wood can change color. Oil varnish is noteworthy for yellowing(ambering?) and old-formula lacquers would often go greenish.
    I finished my own white oak cabinets, and used pore filler, gel stain, shellac, and a single wiped-on top coat of gel varnish for wear. This was done in 2006 and I can't say I detect any darkening yet.

Casey

• camphappy
    11 years ago

I have a QS oak dining room set from the 1930's. I'm pretty sure it has "patina-ed" to a darker shade over the years. My QS oak kitchen cabinets have more what I would call a medium stain that match the darker wood shades that are already in the home. In another 80 years they will probably have a much darker color too. :)
    BTW, I love my QS oak.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, maybe I'll need to use a stain as I'm pretty sure I don't have 80 years to wait anymore :)

• lisa0527
    11 years ago

We have a natural stain. Don't have pics but here's my inspiration pics from Houzz.

Here is a link that might be useful: white oak kitchen

• lisa0527
    11 years ago

Oooops
    Lets try that again.

We alsp went with white uppers and natural rift white oak lowers

Here is a link that might be useful: [white oak kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~81457)

• Iowacommute
    11 years ago

Lisa0527 thank you so much for that link. I have been on Houzz forever looking at kitchens and cant believe I hadnt seen this one. This will certainly be inky inspiration folder.

• deedles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Uh, yes Lisa. That pic instantly reminded of this pic and now the design trolly just jumped it's tracks... in a good way, methinks. Thanks for posting that.

This was almost my very first inspiration pic:

I still love it.