Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caligal_gw

Almost finished, need backsplash suggestions

caligal
15 years ago

I was going to use white subway tiles for my backsplash. Now that my counter tops are in, I think it will look too bland and just too white (although I have always wanted an all white kitchen). Please give suggestions for back splash. Thanks!

Here is a closer picture of the CaesarStone

Paint in kitchen is a buttery yellow (can change). Paint in attached dining/living area is a sage green. Table is not staying.

Comments (40)

• deegw
    15 years ago

I agree that all white subways will be boring. It's hard to narrow things down when just about anything will work in your space. Have you looked at the backsplashes in the blog to see if anything strikes your fancy? I'm guessing that you like contemporary rather than traditional. I think narrow horizontals will add some interest and not be too jarring. Or, you could use light colored stone subways with very slight color variations.

• cosmo_nj
    15 years ago

It looks great so far! I think that glass tiles would look great. Or, since you seem to like yellow as an accent - what about white subways with a yellow stripe?

• josie724
    15 years ago

I've seen stainless steel subway tiles on Devine Design, and they were beautiful, that might be a nice choice. Or you can do a light grey glass tile.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Nice job! I also like the idea of glass tile. A soft green might be nice, to tie in with your DR.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Wow! I am loving your white kitchen! Floors are wood? Are you wanting contemporary or traditional? You could go either way. I am having trouble seeing the colors in your solid surface. I am thinking tans and browns but don't know if you have green in there. Here is a sample from Oceanside Tile

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

I thought glass tiles right away. I would do them in shades of yellow or blue or green. Something soft, but with color. I like the few color accents you have in your photos--the yellow dishes in the cabinets and even the computer screen! I guess it does matter what the colors are in the family room...

• peachieone
    15 years ago

What about something like this? We used this glass tile in a kitchen update at my parent's place in FL. It comes in lots of variations so there is likely one that would work better for you. Their countertops are similar to yours and the paint colour is a softish yellow though the cabinetry is more cream coloured.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I like your kitchen but (and keep in mind we can't see the your whole room) I tend to like a little contrast in a white kitchen, particularly if it isn't in a space with a lot of architectural detail. In pictures it is hard to tell but to me the yellow may be too pale - with everything in a somewhat similar colour registration it is all sort of blending together. My first thought was definitely mosaic but you could draw up the counter colour with the grout and opt for a solid colour in an unusual shape. Beyond the variation in your counter you have a lot of hard lines (box shapes and solid colours), you might think of something that has a looser pattern or shape to soften\contrast that a bit.

I have advocated the use of the attached tile before and I was watching Design Inc. on HGTV the other day and Sarah Richardson was using it in a kitchen (probably where I recognized it from in the store). Website isn't the best but check out some of the others - they have a lot interesting colours in 1x1 as well. My gut says it maybe too modern (though it would relate to your stainless well) for your space.

I would stay away from anything square (bigger than 1x1), definitely rectangular would be better if you go with a standard tile shape. The stainless tile is great but I maybe a little too modern for your space (from the counter and wall colours you mention it sounds like you like a warm pallette).

From colour blocking perspective I would either pull the countertop colour up onto the backsplash and have another wall colour (could be the current yellow - which you could reference with an inset or rope line) or I would do backsplash and paint in similar tones. Because your counter is a neutral I agree a white backsplash won't work and I think a backsplash that doesn't relate to the counter or the walls isn't going to work either (this can be a great look but I think you need a strong colour break at the countertop with white cabinetry to achieve it).

Obviously, just one opinion only you know what's going to make it right for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: vitra tile

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for so many replies. My problem is, I like all the suggestions. I am so tired of making decisions, I just want someone to say, "Here, do this." I like the idea of the glass and the different shaped tile as well. I will be going out this morning. Will check back later. Thanks again. I love GWebbers!

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

peachieone, where did you find the tile you suggested?

• peachieone
    15 years ago

I bought it at Creative Tile & Marble in Vero Beach Florida. It was shipped to them from Georgia and I am looking at the invoice and it says Beige Metalica Mix but does not say the manufacturer. Sorry! Anyway, I did find a similar one at the following site if that helps

Here is a link that might be useful: tiles

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

peachieone that is a great, fun tile!

caligal- that is a beautiful yellow - mind sharing the color, etc?

As far as a backsplash, I have two thoughts. The first would be to bring in a more natural element with a stone backsplash of some sort - maybe a slate. Second thought would be to do the white subway (though white on white is very, very tricky as we've seen multiple times here) with glass accents.

Come to think of it, how about an Ann Sacks subway that matches/compliments that beautiful yellow and maybe brings in some fo the sage...

remodelfla has some links to some very cool, distinctive yet classy tiles. Hopefully she'll chime in. If not try a search on her ID.

What are you doing for hardware?

• User
    15 years ago

After reading ncamy's thread about her white kitchen, I'd really suggest some color! I second pj's suggestion to do a search for remodelfla to find her tile posts. She does have some very clever ideas.

• bbstx
    15 years ago

Cali,
    If you want a breather from decisions, how about paint? It is not permanent nor it is expensive. You could even have it matched to your yellow. I have seen BM Regal Interior recommended by others on this website. Some said that it is easy to clean. One said that even splatters from frying cleaned right off.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Regal Paint

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link, peachie. The yellow is Behr Stable Hay. Pbrisjar, I am also going to check out the Ann Sacks.

bbstx, if I paint at least I can complete my kitchen remodel. Because at this rate I may never decide. I have had 4 colors of paint on my bathroom wall for over six months!

I also wanted to add one more area I will be tiling. The SS shelf will be on the tile under the cabinet.

• segbrown
    15 years ago

I see pale/sage green glass subways. :-)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

You guys flatter me! I love finding backsplash matches.
    {{!gwi}}
    I don't know if I"d like it with a buttery yellow but I do think it would tie nicely to the sage green in the living room.

I'm down at the other house tonight and since it's mostly empty the lighting is really really bad so please forgive if I'm way off course. I"m working with one little light out on the patio in the dark otherwise.

Suan Jablon is endless:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    If you want alot of BLING!

Love this tile from lunadabay the Sumi-e collection morioka silk. I couldnt' get it to imbed

give me some feedback so I know which direction to go. How contemporary do you want? How much color? Size/shape of tile?

Having fun yet????????!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lunada Bay

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Stumbled upon this on Modwalls after reading another thread. Thought the color might work with your buttery yellow.
    {{!gwi}}

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like that a lot. What is the color name?

I like muted tones. Have you seen any subway tiles in the above colors?

Also, what do you think of this with my counters?

Here is a link that might be useful: Malaga Cove powder daffodil

• nancy343
    15 years ago

I love the link you just posted - Malaga Cove powder daffodil. I think that would look awesome. I think you should buy a few samples and that should help make the decision - seeing them in your space. What kind/color pulls will you have on the cabinets?

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is the hardware (brushed nickel) I planned on using.

• housepoor2
    15 years ago

Caligal- I know how you feel- enough with the decisions! I am also trying to narrow the choices on a backsplash and couldn't help but think of a couple that I have considered that would look beautiful with your kitchen (isn't it funny how we can pick and choose for someone else but can't do the same for ourselves?). They are from Oceanside:

lots of blues, sand, greens, and white

more uniform in color if you want to go monotone

this is a bit much, I know, but you can pick and choose your colors and patterns to make it whatever you want. I put this one in because it seems fun, which kind of reminds me of your kitchen.

You could also go with subway tile. I think someone mentioned Ann Sacks- they do have a great selection of colors.

Since the rest of your kitchen is pretty monochromatic, you are free to make the backsplash the star of the room.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Love that Malaga Cove powder daffodil! (Love the name too.) Get a sample as RL colors will be different but I get the same "feel" from that as from what I've seen/heard about your kitchen. Love the Susan Jablon (especially the first one) that remodelfla posted. It looks like it would work in my kitchen (But I'm not shopping for tile).

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

poorhouse2, those are great. I was looking for that site earlier thanks!

I need to incorporate the glass mosaics somehow. I really need to get some samples here soon.

How many samples should I order? I know if I have too many choices, I will never decide.

• housepoor2
    15 years ago

Sorry if I missed this in the earlier posts, but are you planning to order samples? You will probably be able to get whatever samples you want from your local supplier- check the website for this. Or at least you can check out sample boards for most tile. It sounds as if you have a pretty good idea of what you are looking for. Take a sample of your granite and paint or cabinet finish and whatever other color you want to incorporate and see what catches your attention, then take everything you can that might work and try them in the room. The lighting alone will knock out half of your choices.

Have you seen today's posting by steph1602? She has incorporated glass tile with subway tile in a unique way- don't know if you can see in the pic, but the glass tiles are inset in the subway tile.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Here is alink to the last one I posted. I didn't see it in subway. What size subway tile do you think you want? Are you leaning toward muted with some variation of color and bringing in some of the soft yellow? Or do prefer no yellow? That'll give more of a base from which to search.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really like the combo above that housepoor posted. How could I incorporate a combo of subway w/ a glass mosaic back splash for my space?

I like the 3X6 size subway.

• debsan
    15 years ago

I'm always the odd one, but I think white subway tiles would be stunning. Then you can accessorize with bold colors like scarlet or cobalt or violet or whatever you want as the seasons and/or your taste changes. However, I also love the under-used combination of grey and yellow. I think using grey, stainless or glass tiles are all good options too, but I'm still voting for the sophistication of white on white!

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

debsan, I bought some standard 4"X4" grey tiles w/ a subtle undertone of yellow yesterday. i was thinking of a brick pattern. I am running out now, but will post a pic this afternoon.

• deegw
    15 years ago

I thought this might look good. It's Walker Zanger melange rouge. There is also an option with more subtle colors.

• david123
    15 years ago

I saw the coolest backsplash that I think your kitchen could pull off. They were blue/green glass subway tiles (3 x 6 maybe but not sure) and laid vertically instead of horizontally, still in a staggered pattern. Super cool- I couldn't pull it off in my kitchen, but you just might be able to!

• sarahw97
    15 years ago

how about:

http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/f4/3b/c6f6_2.JPG

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/8/1/2/2/8/webimg/182293126_tp.jpg

sorry not sure how to post the pictures..

(on ebay.. search "glass tile").

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay

• rosie
    15 years ago

Caligal, paint. It's a classic look. It's simple and dignified. It's wonderfully inexpensive. With your fantastic finite little spaces, if dignity gets old you can repaint in lavender with chartreuse polka dots for Easter, and stencil white stars on red for the 4th of July. Or not. When and if you fall in love with something that requires a more long-term commitment, you can pick up the phone and order it installed.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Here is one of the Suan Jablon's that RemodelFLA posted.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am making one more trip out to Expo tomorrow. I think I have decided to go with my orig. white subway tiles in a brick pattern and mosaic glass behind the range.

I want to thank you all for your suggestions and help. It has been fun checking GW to see new posts!

I see I am not the only one who is at the back splash stage of kitchen reno. There are about 4 or 5 threads currently on the Kitchen forum.

If I don't find tile, I will just paint as rosie and bbstx have both suggested.

• caligal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! jodi, that is beautiful. thank you for taking the time to do that. I really like it.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Is that the Modwalls one? I really like this one! Maybe as a mosaic behind the stove and an inset mixed with your desired subway tiles?

• redroze
    15 years ago

Hello Caligal, I saw your post in the other photo regarding the metal shelf and I can't believe I forgot to respond to your finished kitchen post as I fell in love with your kitchen when I saw it. I loved the dotted glass inserts, and the fearless pops of colours inside. I would also immediately think 1x1 glass mosaic for your backsplash (somehow, it would just work) but the old faithful standby of white subway tiles just always works as well. And if we didn't find a granite we liked (it was the ONLY granite we liked) we would have gone with the white caeserstone that you chose, which I think is so understated yet gorgeous.

And the beverage center with the metal Ikea shelf is marvelous.

• furletcity
    15 years ago

Wow! I love the tile Jodi photoshopped into your kitchen! That style of bs would look great, it ties all of your existing elements together so well. It (or something similar) would look great with your idea of incorporating subway tile!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Did someone say plain yellow ceramic subway? :-)

My tile is very similar to Solistone's Mission tile in amarillo.

There are more muted versions, too, that might really work, like Subway Ceramic's crackle subway in butter:

{{!gwi}}
    or in celadon:
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: subway ceramics colors