Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlocat

I was seduced

arlocat
9 years ago

Nine years ago I was seduced by the sleek style and sophistication of my Viking oven. He didn't deserve my affection and now we are parting ways.

I have a very simple and informal poll that I am posting on the Kitchen, Appliance and Cooking forums. I'd appreciate your help. I don't care if it is a built in or free standing oven.
I just want to keep this poll simple.

1. What brand of oven do you have?
2. How long have you had your oven?
3. How many times have you had your oven serviced?
4. Do you like your oven?

Comments (53)

• sas95
    9 years ago

Bosch 30" double ovens
    4 years
    Never been serviced
    So far, so good!

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Wolf 30" dual fuel
    10 yrs
    Once 9 years ago
    Still Hot and heavy

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Kitchenaid double convection wall ovens since 1997.

Serviced once - self clean cycle blew out mother board, was replaced under warranty along with larger squirrel cage fan, never used full TIME on clean cycle again, good ever since

LOVE them, use convection, bread raising, dehydrating, time and temp cooking modes often and get flawless control. I expect to keep using them another 10 years.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

As I have only had my new oven (Frigidaire, gas range) a month and a half, I will comment on my old oven:

KitchenAide 24" single convention electric wall oven
    8 years
    Never serviced, though the light stopped working even though DH replaced the bulb
    We had a comfortable familiarity. I accepted its quirks. It ran cool and took too long to do everything, but things always came out beautifully. (OMG I was cooking with my husband.)

I replaced it because my small kitchen didn't work well with separates. My new oven is actually a range with double ovens. But it went off to a new home, not the junk heap.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Bosch, 2 years, never serviced (I don't use the self-clean because I hear too many of beautybutdebtfree's experience with not just Bosch ovens)

Old Caloric, 30 years, never serviced. Sigh. (The self-clean did stop working after 20 years, but it didn't blow out the motherboard and the oven still cooked.)

Eta: DH reminds me we had the Caloric's thermostat adjusted once.

Eta: do I like it? On the newer ovens, I find it hard to,simply set or see the temperature setting for the individual ovens (we've had double ones). When we got a new oven in the old house, it had no "on", and no "off", but rather press an up arrow for on and "cancel" for off. And therein lies the problem, they are designed with an eye from the digital age, not to cooking which transcends eras! The Bosch (and it does cook nicely, btw) has knobs, but it's still designed from a digital/electronic point of view,

This post was edited by bpathome on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 17:48

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Jenn air electric
    24 years and never had a problem

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

1. Samsung 30" freestanding induction range w/convection oven
    2. Almost 2 years
    3. None
    4. Yes

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Miele (the new models). 30" convection oven + combi-steam oven
    6 months
    Never
    I think they're awesome! No regrets whatsoever.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

By "oven" do you actually mean "range" with a cooking surface on top and an oven(s) below? Or do you mean just an oven(s)?

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

1. What brand of oven do you have? Thermador double wall ovens
    2. How long have you had your oven? About 3 years but they are secondhand so I believe they are 15-20 years old. I don't believe the first owner used them much.
    3. How many times have you had your oven serviced? Once I believe, for an error in the lower oven.
    4. Do you like your oven? Yes. I love having two ovens, love that they both have convection bake, and love the dial (not push) controls.

• annie1992
    9 years ago

I have a Crosley, the world's cheapest. It cost me a bit less than $400 about ten years ago when I was a broke single Mom. I've had it repaired once and it just keeps working, with no problems.

It's very basic, no self clean or any bells and whistles to quit working, and I doubt that you could even buy one today, it was my understanding that it was actually made by Maytag who was eventually purchased by Whirlpool.

I had a used KitchenAid for 20 years before that and it never required repair until the day it just died.

My new ovens are GE and they are sitting in the middle of the dining room at the new house, ready for installation, so they don't count.

Annie

• springroz
    9 years ago

Thermador 36" range

No service yet, but the igniter on the range has started random clicking after 3 years of heavy use.

Love it!

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

30" Capital Culinarian range. Love the rotisserie.
    Six months.
    Never been serviced. Temp is accurate.
    Love it.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

1. What brand of oven do you have? - Bosch benchmark 30 inch wall oven

2. How long have you had your oven? 2 1/2 months

3. How many times have you had your oven serviced? no

4. Do you like your oven? So far so good, I love the control mechanism, its versatility, and its even bake.

• GregNow
    9 years ago

1. What brand of oven do you have? GE Electric 30" Freestanding
    2. How long have you had your oven? 2 and a half years
    3. How many times have you had your oven serviced? Not yet thankfully
    4. Do you like your oven? I don't use it as much but my girlfriend loves it

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Kenmore smooth top electric
    At least 6 years or more, lost track.
    One burner thingy had to be replaced (DH did it). The oven never serviced.

I like the oven and I use the self cleaner all the time. Would like to replace with an induction cooktop range.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Me! ME!

CL Hotpoint.
    6 years, but it's about 12 years old.
    Never serviced.
    I melted something to one of the burners, so I have to figure out how to buy another, but that's my fault.
    I have only used the oven about 10 times in all those years, so I've never needed to clean it.

I'd like another stove, just because this baby is ugly. But I barely cook, so it stays, warts and all. :)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Kenmore 30" freestanding range. Low-end. No convection.

11 years

Never

Yes. Have never used the self-cleaning feature. Don't really need it. Despite my stove's modest origins and homely looks, it does everything I ask of it. I'm hard pressed to justify spending $3K+ for something just for its looks.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Thermador 30" double convection oven with microwave.

10 years old.

Serviced once, replaced motherboard. Failed, probably after self clean cycle. Haven't used self-clean since.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

GE Profile 30" Slide-In Gas Range
    6 months
    Never
    Very much - this is our 4th GE oven in as many houses and we've never had a problem and never had one serviced.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

New oven -- Kenmore gas range/oven
    1 year
    Once under warranty, runs cool (just a check,
    the serviceman said it checked fine but I still
    think it is slow)

Old oven -- Whirlpool Accubake gas range
    15 years at least (don't really remember)
    Never. It was a solid basic oven that did
    all I ever asked of it.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

Bosch 36 inch range 5 burner (all gas)
    14 years
    Never
    Love it.

I frequently use 3 burners at the same time and sometimes all 5. Bake about twice a month ; oven is super. Not used the rotisserie more than a dozen times in all the years. I am so happy with the overall performance that we are buying .
    another Bosh 36 inch gas range for our flat.

• kalapointer
    9 years ago

Wolf E Series double wall oven
    One year and 10 months
    Never serviced
    It cooks and bakes very well, very even. However, the porcelain started chipping after only a few uses. This is my second Wolf. The first one did the same thing and was replaced. Wolf will replace the second one with the M Series when it comes out next year. I will need to pay the difference in price between the E and the M for the replacement.

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

1. What brand of oven do you have? Wolf AG 36" range (2008)

2. How long have you had your oven? Since 2008

3. How many times have you had your oven serviced? Many; some were the result of trial and error Wolf burner issue solution-testing/resolution from late 2007-2008; including two or three replacement ranges during this time. We were willing to be "guinea pigs" while Wolf troubleshooted the problem.
    Our current range (the final replacement range) received a replacement door at some point, an oven burner tube replacement a few years ago, and had a rear "port" (?) cleaned (the broiler wasn't working).

4. Do you like your oven? Yes. Despite the headaches while Wolf was troubleshooting the burner issues, trying to come up with a solution, we really like the range (which was a big factor in us sticking by it/them while they tried solve the problem). We like the burners; BTU's are more than adequate for us, and we really like the fact that all the burners are the same (size, BTU's, simmer-ability....). Oven capacity width-wise in our 36" range is great. Biggest pet peeve; oven depth is 1/2"-1" too shallow (because of fan box projection) to allow for full-size sheet pans, or 1/2-sheet pans placed lengthwise on the racks. Such a waste IMO. If Wolf ever offered a shallower retrofit fan/box for the range, I'd gladly pay for the service call to install it.

Because they no longer make this model range (they modified their AG ranges a year or so ago), I plan to take this one with us if/when we ever move--whether it fits in said new kitchen or not!

• arlocat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. Thank you. IâÂÂm taking notes. Keep the replies coming.

I donâÂÂt care if you tell me about your wall oven or oven in your free-standing range. Right now IâÂÂm just looking for some direction of reliable brands.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

1) Wolf 30 in. AG (old style, like cat_moms)

2) 2 years

3) Oven never, but burners were serviced several times when it was first installed to adjust and fine-tune the flame pattern.

4) I love it, especially the way the entire top comes off for cleaning. I like all the burners being the same size, and the grates are single-burner size so they are easy to move for cleaning. To me, this range is the perfect blend of form and function! Like cat_mom, I am so crazy about it that it is coming with me should I ever move.

(It replaced a Viking that I hated)

This post was edited by jellytoast on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 12:57

• blfenton
    9 years ago

GE Cafe - this is our second GE range and we had the last one about 15 years and it was serviced once when the broiler element needed to be replaced.

4 Years

Never

Yes

• ckag
    9 years ago

1. BlueStar 36" all natural gas
    2. for approx 6 - 7 years
    3. never had a service man as we can service it ourselves
    4. I LOVE my BlueStar!

Re #3 - Rivets popped off the interior oven floor and we had to re-do those to hold it in. Truly that should not have happened so there is a bit of quality control issue there, but it was past warranty. BlueStar is apparently the former Garland stove used in restaurants, etc and is basically just a big box of wonderful fire. It's a lot of iron, is easy to clean and maintain and the burners are not sealed. It is available in a whole bunch of colors, but mine is black with the stainless accents.

I bake bread among many other things so the moisture of a gas oven is wonderful. I really love it and if we move I would buy another one or take this one with me.
    I was also seduced and our love affair is still going strong.

• Janet
    9 years ago

10 year old Dacor 48 inch dual fuel. Heavily used -larger oven serviced once to replace circuit board. Dacor was really helpful. We bought the part online and DH fixed it.

• kiko_gw
    9 years ago

1. What brand of oven do you have? Bosch 27" Convection Over Convection Double Wall Oven In Stainless Steel - HBN765AUC
    2. How long have you had your oven? Over 10 years (here when we moved in)
    3. How many times have you had your oven serviced? Never, but sometimes the digital display blinks/flashes. It doesn't affect how the oven works; I believe dh said it would be easy to fix with a new part ... we've just never ordered one.
    4. Do you like your oven? Yes. I do use the self clean function regularly. I guess it has an automatic temp probe built in but I've never used it. Are those things really accurate? I just use a separate meat thermometer.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

GE wall oven that was installed in 1986. From what I know of the previous owners...it's been serviced once (by us) a few years ago. Works great and I regularly mistreat it, fail to clean it enough and work it too hard. I should be ashamed, especially since it gives me such great cookies and muffins :)

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

This won't help much, but I wanna play.

1960 Frigidaire Flair with double ovens.

We've used it for the last ten years.

Never serviced (appliance guys laugh and back away.)

Love the ovens. Don't ask about the burners. :-)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

If you're tabulating results, please share them here.

Current:
    Samsung 30" glass top electric with single oven, slide-in. Only 2 months, no service yet (fingers crossed), LOVE it.

Previous:
    GE 30" glass top electric with single oven. 10 years. No service. Worked great. Only replaced because a rental needed a new range so I bought a new one for me and the rental got this older model.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

*Kenmore Elite 30" single electric oven
    *Have had it for about 2 1/2 years...only installed less than 1 year (don't ask!)
    *Never serviced (even though it sat in a box in our unheated garage for over 1 1/2 years, it still works great [fingers crossed and saying prayers])
    *I don't use the self-clean function as I've heard many people with many different brands who say that the board tends to fry and need replaced, so I just clean it the regular way
    *Love it so far - first that I've used a convection oven and I really like that function and I'm happy to be back to electric ovens after having gas ranges for quite some time.

Also, while you didn't ask about cooktops, since some people are talking about their range, I'll mention that I went with a induction cooktop and adore it...easy clean up and the control of gas. Loves it.

• leela4
    9 years ago

1. GE freestanding double oven (smaller oven on top; convection oven on bottom) range with glass top
    2. 6 years old
    3. Never been serviced
    4. Yes

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Kenmore 30 inch free standing range, 21 years old, replaced the oven ignitor and temperature probe last year, that's the only servicing. Its practical and functional and has always worked great, I just don't like it for aesthetic reasons.

Kenmore 30 inch double wall ovens, 1 year, no problems, love them!! Got them on sale for less than 2000 and I've been VERY pleased.

• kashmi
    9 years ago

Oven: single wall oven; true convection; Fisher & Paykel

Length of time: About 10 years. At the time we purchased it, these ovens were at the top of many GWers' lists. I don't see them mentioned much anymore. Because of complaints, we've never used the self-clean feature.

Repairs/service calls: Nada; none -- and I bake a lot; and cook some, too.

LOVE it! The convection is great; controls simple and intuitive -- AND does not automatically reduce convection temp by 25 degrees as if I were some sort of idiot (grin); amazingly well insulated.

• nini804
    9 years ago

36" KA dual fuel range.
    3 years
    No service calls
    Super happy with it! It is a perfect combination of form and function.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

GE Café Gas Range is my oven that I have had now for 5 years. It has never been serviced and I love the way it looks and cooks.

• PRO
    Statewide Fence Co
    9 years ago

GE Profile 30" Slide-in Electric Range
    5 years
    Never serviced
    I like it- but I would have preferred a gas range.

• arlocat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I appreciate the responses. Keep them coming, please. I'll try to post the top vote getters next week some time.
    Thanks

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

1. Whirlpool freestanding range (dark brown if that helps anyone to date it).

2. 25-30 years? Came with the house and looked well used when we moved in 17 years ago (i.e., the clock was already broken)

3. Bottom oven element burned out about 10 years ago. Fixed by myself in about 15 minutes. Replaced one top element about five years ago, also fixed by myself. Both fixes super easy.

4. Everything still works fine except the clock. I'll nurse it along until we remodel the kitchen in a couple of years.

• iroll_gw
    9 years ago

30" IKEA (secretly made by Whirlpool) wall oven.
    3 years
    Never; although have never used the self-cleaning feature yet.
    Works great. Love the glass front and the knobs. Wish the oven racks had more tines (or whatever they're called), closer together.
    Also have a GE Profile smoothtop electric with knobs (I like knobs). Works great, no problems, same age as the oven.

• kevinw1
    9 years ago

Kenmore convection (in the range)

10 years. Bought the range second hand.

Never

Yes, it does everything we need it to. The digital controls sometimes flip unexpectedly from changing the temp to changing the time, which is a minor nuisance. SO sometimes has trouble with the controls, but he has the same issue with the bread machine and MW so I don't think it's the oven :)

• sherri1058
    9 years ago

KitchenAid Dual Fuel Range
    12 Years - lots of use
    NO service
    Love it!!!

• tea4all
    9 years ago

You won't believe this but...
    1. Whirlpool slide in electric range with coil burners.
    2. Owned for 35 years and given it a real workout!
    3. Never had to call for service for the oven. I changed out the heat element for the oven once myself. The four coil burners on the stove have died one by one. I am cooking Thanksgiving meal for our family with 1 induction hotplate. Can hardly wait for our scheduled kitchen reno in February when I will get an induction range.
    4. I love the oven in this range. It has been steady and reliable-- a real workhorse. Do they even make ovens to last this long anymore?!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

1. What brand of oven do you have? Maytag Gemini free standing 30" electric range (4 burners, one warming area, small oven over large oven, no convection.)

2. How long have you had your oven? Nearly 2.5 years. PO bought it new in 2011, used it for 6 weeks, moved, stored it for a few months, and then sold it to us off of Craigslist.

3. How many times have you had your oven serviced? Never.

4. Do you like your oven? I have mixed feelings.
    -Control panel is not intuitive. At all.
    -Wires of the oven racks are too far spread and thin for my liking. Makes balancing smaller things like bread pans tricky. Heavy things, like turkeys, cause the racks to sag.
    -Baking is not even front to back or top rack to bottom rack. : ( -The one plus of this machine is that it has a fantastic, large "speed burner" in the front right corner. It brings water up to a boil verrry quickly.

Our range sees daily, heavy use.

• bookmom41
    9 years ago

1. GE slide in induction range. has convection in the main oven, also has a warming drawer.
    2. Two years.
    3. One initial service call: the touch pad was flexing on the right side when pressure was applied. A gasket was out of place. GE fixed it.
    4. Range is generally used several times a day. (LOVE induction, though I don't think that is part of your question.) Oven works well--comes to temperature relatively quickly, is well insulated and bakes/browns evenly, as does the broiler. The warming drawer is great, too, when I remember to use it. :)

• californiagirl
    9 years ago

1. Wolf duel fuel
    2. Three years
    3. Not on the range, but the blue porcelain coating flaked almost immediately on one of the accessory broiler pans. I drove a mile over to the company HQ (live in Madison, WI) and they gave me a new pan.
    4. Use the cooktop more often than ovens, but love the options on the ovens, especially convection and low temp. The ovens are hotter at the back so I turn during cooking. I have used the self-clean many times, but clean the racks in a large farm sink while the ovens clean. You can only clean one oven at a time, btw. Wish the ovens were even larger sometimes, but they do come with lots of racks so you can stack a lot.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

1. Thermador double ovens
    2. Almost 1 year
    3. Zero
    4. Yes!