Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

"Green" Green Kitchen Reveal

olivertwistkitchen
10 years ago

Our "Green" Green Kitchen Renovation

One goal of our reno was to be as eco-friendly as possible. (This wasn't always possible). We started by donating our old cabinetry and appliances to Habitat for Humanity. We used products from recycled glass in the countertop and backsplash, and the floor is cork. There are areas for all kinds of recycling and composting.

We also aimed to get a lot more space and be organized, of course! We expanded the kitchen 3 feet into the den. This allowed me to get my 36" wide cooktop. I moved the Dishwasher to the left 12" allowing me to stand to the left OR the right to unload. Now I can reach the Uppers above the DW! We also moved the window over and enlarged it.

We also changed a bathroom with shower into a Powder Room, converting the extra space (shower) into a small walk-in pantry.

Remodeling the Mudroom gave us a lot more organization as well.

Other special features:

� Extra-Deep Countertops (27")
� Extra-Deep Uppers (15")
� Some Extra Deep drawers/roll-outs
� Reverse Osmosis water filter
� Compost Pail in Counter (Rev-a-Shelf)
� Cookbook holder under cabinet
� Pantry pull-outs for potatoes and onions (Rev-a-Shelf)
� Command Center with Charging Station
� Hidden place for Calendar
� Oven Niche
� Laundry Chute
� Toe-Kick Drawers
� Spice Pull-outs
� Bookshelf for cookbooks
� Open shelves in Lowers for baskets of fruit

Kitchen Details

Cork Floor
Glue-down tiles by iCork / Forna (Cancork in Canada) in Style called Leather
Species: Maple
Stain: Coral
Backsplash tile
Subway tiles from Bedrock Industries / Blazestone tile in Meadow
Faucet
Kohler Karbon
Stainless
Wall oven under cooktop
GE Profile Wall oven (mounted underneath Cooktop): PT7050
3 racks
Cooktop
GE Profile 36" Smoothtop Electric Cooktop: GE Profile CleanDesign PP975
5 Burner with PowerBoil feature
My other criteria was that I could open it with my toe (useful with my hands are coated with chicken guts).

Undercabinet lighting
InvesiLED tape light

Bathroom Details

Countertop
GlassRecycled.com Style BW-001
Cabinetry
New River Cabinetry Frameless Full Overlaly
Herndon style (Shaker)
Species: Maple
Stain: Coral

Photos

Old Kitchen Next to New Kitchen:
{{gwi:1970890}}

{{gwi:1970891}}
{{gwi:1970892}}
{{gwi:1970893}}

Old Kitchen:
{{gwi:1970894}}

{{gwi:1970895}}
{{gwi:1970896}}

{{gwi:1970897}}

New Kitchen:

Overall views:
{{gwi:1970898}}
{{gwi:1970899}}
Niche:
{{gwi:1970900}}
Spice Pull outs:
{{gwi:1970901}}
Eating area:
{{gwi:1970902}}
Cookbook holder:

{{gwi:1970903}}
Cookbook shelves above peninsula:
{{gwi:1970904}}
{{gwi:1970905}}

Sink with Kohler Karbon:
{{gwi:1970906}}
Sink with Tilt out:
{{gwi:1970907}}
Window:
{{gwi:1970908}}
Toe Kick Drawers:

What's in my drawers?

Utensils:
(This is right in front of the compost pail, hence the cut-out)
{{gwi:1970910}}
{{gwi:1970911}}
Pots and Pans:
{{gwi:1970912}}
Pots and Pans with Lid Storage:

Here are my only roll-outs (not counting pantry):
Food processors and small appliances and larger gadgets:
{{gwi:1970914}}
Knife drawer:
{{gwi:1970915}}
Reusable bowl covers:

{{gwi:1970916}}

Lunch bags:

{{gwi:1970917}}
Thermoses:

{{gwi:1970918}}
Silverware drawer:

{{gwi:1970919}}
Cloth napkins:

{{gwi:1970920}}
Reusable sandwich bags:

{{gwi:1970921}}
Dishtowels:
{{gwi:1970922}}
I just love how organized my corningware and lids are now:
{{gwi:1970923}}
Medicine rack (also good for matches, toothpicks and other small items):
{{gwi:1970924}}
Tray cabinet/Cutting boards:
Open:
{{gwi:1970925}}

Closed:

{{gwi:1970926}}
Pull-outs for cans, baking supplies, oils and vinegars:
{{gwi:1970927}}
{{gwi:1970928}}
Trash and Recycling:
(Trash in front, plastic/metal in back, paper on top). Compost is just a smidge to the left in the counter.

{{gwi:1970929}}
In-Counter Compost:
{{gwi:1970930}}
{{gwi:1970931}}
{{gwi:1970932}}
{{gwi:1970933}}
{{gwi:1970934}}

Laundry Chute and under the sink:
(The Green bucket is our old compost pail. Now we use it for #5 Recyclables that we have to bring to Whole Foods because our town only collects #1 and #2 plastics)
{{gwi:1970935}}
{{gwi:1970936}}
{{gwi:1970937}}

Pantry with Hidden Calendar/Bulletin Board/Chalkboard:
{{gwi:1970938}}
{{gwi:1970939}}
{{gwi:1970940}}

The Fridge:

{{gwi:1970941}}
Baking trays above the Fridge:

{{gwi:1970942}}
Storage for serving platters in peninsula:

{{gwi:1970943}}
Close-up of Counter and Backsplash:
{{gwi:1970944}}
Command Center and Charging Station:

{{gwi:1970946}}
Cork Floor:

Walk-in Pantry:
{{gwi:1970949}}
{{gwi:1970950}}
{{gwi:1970951}}

Bathroom
{{gwi:1970952}}
Bathroom Sink:
{{gwi:1970953}}
Close-up of Bathroom Counter:
{{gwi:1970954}}
Mudroom:
Cubbies:
{{gwi:1970955}}

Shoe organization (finally):
{{gwi:1970956}}

This post was edited by olivertwist on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 14:21

Comments (22)

• nancylouise5me
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The only thing I can say oliver is "WOW". I'm so jealous of all the storage space. There really is a spot for everything. And it looks fantastic to boot. I think I like the mudroom storage the best thou. I have always wanted a mudroom,(we just have a hallway closet with no shelving). Congrats on going "Green" as much as possible. Something I'll strive for when we remodel some day. Job well done. NancyLouise

• nancylouise5me
    10 years ago

The only thing I can say oliver is "WOW". I'm so jealous of all the storage space. There really is a spot for everything. And it looks fantastic to boot. I think I like the mudroom storage the best thou. I have always wanted a mudroom,(we just have a hallway closet with no shelving). Congrats on going "Green" as much as possible. Something I'll strive for when we remodel some day. Job well done. NancyLouise

• Mgoblue85
    10 years ago

Wow, wow, wow!!! I love the transformation. I keep going back and forth through all the photos to determine what I like best. You have so many cool features. I really like the "hidden" chalk and bulletin boards. That's very clever. I'm gonna have to scroll through a few more times in more detail but you must be pretty pleased with what you've done. It looks fantastic!!!

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

So many perfect details, like the chalk and storage center. Love the countertops. Did you add all the dividers after cabinets installed? It seems there is a place for everything.

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

such good planning and functionality, well thought out !
    it's also attractive !

• smiling
    10 years ago

Such lovely appealing spaces, and so much careful attention to details! I love it! Thank you for your efforts to be as green as this. Your cork is beautiful, and the recycled glass counters are stunning with that backsplash.
    I really smiled when I saw that GREAT laundry chute! Like you, we use mostly cloth kitchen towels, napkins, produce bags, (love the sandwich bags, too!) so we generate a fair amount of kitchen laundry. I'm jealous of that convenient laundry chute. Thanks, too, for sharing all the details inside the drawers and pantries, makes your reveal so exciting. May you enjoy many wonderful years there.

• vdinli
    10 years ago

Wow! All your choices are so lovely!! I love the stain on the cabinets, the countertop and almost everything else. Thank you for all the pics. I am going to copy the message board idea-hope u don't mind! Enjoy your lovely new space.

• sbp59
    10 years ago

I have NEVER seen a more well thought out and functional kitchen than this one !! WOW! WOW!

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your kind words.
    I can't believe how functional it is!

I thank you all for your advice and opinions over the past year and a half or so, and for all of the ideas that I copied from others along the way! For anyone else, please- copy away!

Bookworm: The dividers above the fridge were done afterwards. Actually, they were the reason I didn't post this Reveal in September. I didn't do them in the beginning because I wanted to see how everything fit into the new space before I committed, and also hadn't decided if I would want them over the micro or the fridge.

• tea4all
    10 years ago

Beautifully done! Your kitchen has such warmth with your lovely cabinets and cork floor. Love your hidden calendar area as well as your other organizational cabs.

That walk in pantry would be a dream to have. What are the dimensions of it and the depth of your shelves? I am trying to wring out a space for such a jewel in my kitchen plan.

• sixkeys
    10 years ago

Wow! Beautiful and soooooo functional! I was going to be critical of the keurig (not very green) but then I noticed you use the refill cartridge. :)

• taggie
    10 years ago

Wow, fabulous. It's obvious the love and thoughtful planning you put into this. It's beautiful and so marvelously functional.

I just love the hidden calendar and noteboard storage in the fridge pantry!! The recycled glass counter is so pretty. And speaking of green, I'm positively green with envy over your fabulous mudroom cubbies and that shoe storage! I could go on and on, there is just so much to admire. Great job, congratulations on your wonderful new space.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Congratulations! Everything is so warm and inviting. Love your stain and the counters look great with the bs. Great mud room cubbies!

• sprtphntc7a
    10 years ago

AWESOME!!!

love the hidden calendar and cork board, great idea...so many great features and details!!!
    you guys really put alot of thought and planning in this and it shows...job well done!!!

congrats and enjoy for many years :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Well, I heartily applaud all of your efforts toward green solutions. Brava!

And the end result is beautiful and unique.

Lastly, but not least, some great functional details --- laundry chute, message board , etc etc .

Awesome.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I love the cabinet color and the fabulous organization. So jealous of the mudroom cubbies and pantry/organizer! Did the layout change much? It looks so much more elegant!

• jentrex
    10 years ago

Very impressive! How nice it must be to work in such a well organized kitchen. Your backsplash and counter are terrific. So much to like. Glad you kept your kitchen chairs. I noticed the design on them right away. Thanks for posting.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Very nicely done. :) Tons of thought and planning is evident for the entire kitchen. Curious about your toe kick drawers and how you open them? We have two that are going in our kitchen and I'm not certain what will be the best way to open them since we don't want to use a pull on those.

• icekream
    10 years ago

Thank you for posting. you kitchen is beautiful and is giving me plenty of ideas. This is the first time i've seen about the kick toe area as pull out drawer. How did you manage that? what cabinets maker did you use? So much storage in that area!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love the cabinet style and the stain! I love the crown molding and having 4 shelves in your cabinets. How tall are they and what is the height of your ceiling? I love the cork floors. I love the appliances! The kitchen is now a WOW and is gorgeous and useful with all the extra storage and pull-outs! Thank you for sharing.

• olivertwistkitchen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tea4all- the pantry was reclaimed from the bathroom exactly - essentially the shower stall. It's 45" wide by 36" deep. There are narrow shelves on the side that I love because small items are only one item deep - these shelves are 4" deep- sized perfectly for a jar of pickles. :). The heights of these small shelves are about 8" each. In the back main part, shelf height varies: 12", 16", 18", etc, which I did on purpose. Depth also varies: 18"', 24". Two baskets that pull out for potatoes and onions are also in there. Also installed a plug for the DustBuster and a light that turns on automatically when the door is opened. I also love my drawers of batteries that are not only brought in from the garage but finally organized!

Kakasmama- A few layout changes: the kitchen was always a galley, but the old kitchen ended just where out oven/micro/command center now start. We moved 3ft into the family room and love it. So we basically just lengthened the kitchen which gave us a LOT more space. We also took out the shower in the BR to make the walk-in pantry. In the mudroom which is off the garage, we took out the extra freezer, moved it into the garage and added a coat closet in its place. (The other coat closet is at the front door, but who goes in their own front door?) We took out a coat tree which was a mess and added the cubbies, and added our giant shoe rack.

Andreak100 and icekream- the toe kick drawers are awesome "free" space. They open by kicking/pushing them rather than handles (KD's idea). I should've specified that they be "extra deep" like the drawers and cabs that they are under, but didn't think of it. Our cabs are by New River but I think anyone can do it. Funny because our 1st KD didn't want to do it- said it would attract vermin!

Lynn2006- our ceilings are 9ft high. The upper cabinets are 42" high and 14-15" deep. I ordered 15" deep but now when I measure the inside, I note it's only 14" deep. Counters were supposed to be 27" instead of the usual 24" but GC had to build up the wall area behind the cabs for some reason and it ended up making the counters 28.5" deep on the main "cooking/prep" side, and 29.5" deep on the other side! I love the extra depth! I was worried that my shortness would make it difficult, but it hasn't and I was also worried that it would narrow our galley (which was frankly pretty wide anyway) but it hasn't.

Thanks!

• Halfway There
    8 years ago

Thanks for posting this, olivertwistkitchen. Simply amazing! I'm just starting research on recycle glass countertops and came across this post. It's been over 2 years since your install so I was wondering how the countertop is holding up. Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing the sq ft price. Thanks so much.