Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riva26

Suggestions on paint color for walls of white kitchen

riva26
12 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions on paint color for the walls of my white kitchen, which there's really not much of (just above sink, above window, above single french door nearest the oven, and above the counter toward living room). My cabinets are BM Simply White and my counters are Bianco Romano.

Here are some photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/100014708288643724320/November22011?authuser=0amp;feat=directlink

I'd appreciate any suggestions that you may have! Thanks in advance!

Comments (24)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I couldn't get into your album. My cabs are Simply White also. Don't you love the color?

If your BR is gray like I think of the typical in my head, how about accenting that with your wall color? BM Nimbus is a very pretty light gray. BM Revere Pewter is a popular light greige that might work also.

Is the kitchen open to other rooms with colors that should be taken into account? What general direction were you leaning?

• riva26
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops--You should be able to view the photos now.

I was thinking of some kind of gray color, but my sister thinks it would be blah, although I disagree... My hubby thinks the walls should be white, which I guess would be okay, but I think maybe it would be nice to have a little splash of color, like maybe a light cream (I was looking at Restoration Hardware's Butter Cream, but I'm not sure if it goes)... I just need some ideas. I have seen Revere Pewter, but to me, it might be too dark of a contrast? I have heard of BM Nimbus and will have to check it out again. Thanks!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I copied and pasted your link again in a new window. Still can't get in. Could you paste the link into the box at the bottom that says "optional URL link" please? Then just type something descriptive in the box below that entitled "name of the link".

Revere pewter is fairly pale to me when I tried it in my house. Without seeing the pics, I'm not sure a light cream would work. If it does, BM Muslin is very nice. I hired a color consultant to help with a house full of rooms that needed painting since in was tired of wasting so much money on paint samples. She recommended Muslin for the entry and hallway to the bedrooms. It's very light and neutral. It opens to two rooms painted gray--the family room painted Nimbus and the living room painted BM Thunder (an Aura color). It goes great with those so it could work with the grays in your BR.

Looking forward to seeing your kitchen and lovely granite.

• riva26
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi breezygirl,
    Okay, I've done what you advised me to do. Hope it works this time! I'm also embedding the HTML in this post. I guess you can just click on it to view the other phtos. Hope one of these work. Thanks thus far for your thoughts and ideas!

:)

November 2, 2011

Here is a link that might be useful: R's Kitchen

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

i vote for a bit of color. go to BM store and get a few samples and paint on some foam core and live with it. i also like the grey suggestion from the fab ms breezy.

i also have BM simply white and it is simply wonderful!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

With the little bit of wall space you have what look like a bit of overlap on that peninsula, including the paint on the spindle, I think I'd just use the same color as the adjoining room walls, tie that exposed wood with a wood blind and then pull in color with accessories. Actually, is there a reason you didn't paint that entire post?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Looking at the pics, I'd use the same wall color showing around the kitchen if it works with your granite. Looks like it does. For me, usually the simpler solution is better.

• riva26
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was hoping for something different from the paint color I used for my dining area/living, which was painted maybe 7 years ago in Behr Coir, before I knew about BM... Would a gray or a light cream color look okay in the kitchen with the paint color I have in the surrounding areas?

The contractor took a little break before he finished the post and is finally back today to do so. He mudded the cracks in the post today and then will paint the post all white, maybe in Simply White, just like my cabinets.

Thanks all!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

No offense, but it doesn't sound like you want a 'color' but a 'neutral' and that's not the same thing, IMHO. Yes, technically, neutrals are paint colors, but to me, colors are yellow, blue, green, red, etc. If you want some color, I'd think about what you want to use for accent pieces. Do you have curtains, cushions, rugs, etc. for your new kitchen? What about the rooms you see, from the kitchen?

I know neutrals are very popular, but as Marcolo said in the post by Palimpsest...(paraphrasing) if all you have are neutrals in your kitchen, then anything you set on the counter will stand out...good or bad. Junk mail, keys, purse, etc. will stand out just as much as the bowl of fruit or vase of flowers.

Just something to think about...again, no offense intended towards those, who love neutrals :)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I don't think a gray or light cream would stand out as too much, IF you match the undertones of the color with the surrounding color. The paint you already have is neutral so you can go in many directions.

Get some paint chips at the store and see what you think. Or post some pics and we'll tell you what we think. ;)

• User
    12 years ago

I can't tell what the adjacent room color is . If it would coordinate I would go with the darkest color on your countertop stone. A charcoal would be stunning I think. I like very rich colors and I think they are quite restful. I have seen it used with white cabs on this forum so there is a precedent. Get some really rich saturated colors and see what happens. c

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Trailrunner's idea about a dark color reminded me of Beekeeperswife's range wall. Go to the link below and you'll see it about a third of the way down. You might also get some other ideas from the post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recommend your kitchen paint color

• User
    12 years ago

exactly !!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Yes I like the idea of using the dark color in the stone. I feel something needs to contrast. When I step into an all white area it puts me on edge a little. It reminds me of 2001 Space Odyssey. The dark will help ground the place I believe. The dark in the stove and microwave wont be so lonely. Would a color to coordinate with your wood floor in your neighboring room work? The chandelier and wood floor of the other room could talk to the darker paint color in your kitchen ;)

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

riva26... Can I ask a question about your kitchen... It looks like you have a support post going through your counter at the one end, right? How did they do that? Is the post going through the counter or sitting on top? Do you have a seam there?

I'm sorry to hijack your thread, but I am wrestling with the same situation. I asked about this on the remodeling thread and got a bunch of crap about how my contractor is taking the easy way out, it will look like a sloppy job, etc. Just wanted to know your take.

If that is not what is going on with your kitchen... sorry for the hijack :(

• riva26
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@trailrunner: Are you suggesting the dark, espresso wall paint behind the above the oven or the dark gray along the adjacent wall? I kind of like the dark gray color.

@enduring: Thanks for your thoughts!

@mercymygift: I left you a reply in your separate post on this.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

riva26, I would pick out a color from the granite that you like for the walls. I love your kitchen and would love to know the brand name and style of the cabinets.

• riva26
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Lynn2006: Thanks for the suggestion... Thanks! My contractor actually built the maple cabinets, drawers and shelves, but ordered the cabinet faces/doors in Mazzarino style from Drees (http://dreeswoodproducts.com/) and painted them in BM Simply White.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Thank you Riva26 for letting me know. I am just seeing your post now doing a search for BM Simply White. What did you end up using for the color on your walls? Your contractor did a great job building your beautiful cabinets. Thanks for letting me know where the doors were bought.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Another vote for a darker color. You'd have to see if it picked up the dark spots in your granite, but take a look at Ben Moore Smoked Oyster. Whichever colors appeal to you, be sure to paint samples first in shadowy and bright areas and look at them at different times of the day before deciding.

• fks3
    12 years ago

Another vote for a darker color as contract - agree with anna in her post about picking something out from your granite to tie it together.

We did that for our walls in kitchen and breakfast area to brighten it up. Not sure where you live but gray walls in winter is too "cold" for me

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

celery green
    raspberry
    warm red-brown with an orange aspect
    cherry red
    turquoise
    teal
    strong yellow
    chocolate brown

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Rather than paint the little bits of wall here and there, I'd paint the ceiling. In your layout it's visible from the next room. Check out jgbopp's (sp?) kitchen.

• riva26
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I had my simple, white kitchen done in November or December of last year, except for the painting of the walls and the post (this will be painted in BM Simply White). I would be open to any suggestions on wall paint, and/or if you could take a look at the, esp. the latter ones where I've painted a splash of samples (L to R: Dunn Edwards Ash Gray, DE Drifting, BM Revere Pewter, BM Willow Creek). Thanks in advance.

Riva

https://picasaweb.google.com/100014708288643724320/March142012?authuser=0amp;authkey=Gv1sRgCPXujsqx2cCneA&feat=directlink

March 14, 2012

Here are some ideas I came across:
    http://pinterest.com/momtojbl/kitchen-wall-paint-ideas/

Here is a link that might be useful: My Kitchen