Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Finally finally found a DR chandy!

breezygirl
9 years ago

DH and I have finally agreed on a DR chandy! Since I've waited three years to find the right fixture that fits the size of my room, loooooow ceiling height, other metals in the space, and my budget, I wanted to run it by some fresh eyes to make sure I'm not delusional from the long wait. Well....this fixture isn't exactly within my original budget. After three years, I decided it was time to re-examine what I was willing to spend since I wasn't finding anything cheaper that I liked.

My DR and table are both long and narrow. Here are a couple of older photos. Excuse the party prep mess and cardboard mantle mock up in the last shot.

The glass pendants have unfortunately changed to these from West Elm, which don't sit 100% right with me. I'd love to find something like my old ones that are discontinued.

Here's the fixture I like--TT Branched Linear Chandelier. Mtnrdredux and Jackson posted about theirs on a Home Dec thread. I thought it was too expensive until I did some internet snooping and found a coupon code making the price reachable. Here it is in Jackson's room. Hope she doesn't mind my showing it.

DH gave me the green light to order! I can't believe he agreed to something I like! Now I just need to decide on either the polished nickel finish or the antique nickel. Polished nickel, which is supposed to patina slightly, would match my cab pulls in the room and play off of the shiny silver on the pendants. The antique nickel would call less attention to itself and compliment the many antiques in that side of the house. I am leaning towards the antique finish.

Polished nickel

Antique Nickel:

Thoughts on this pendant and which finish would be best? I'm over the moon excited at the thought of unscrewing that lone bare bulb for good!

Comments (59)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Breezy,

I haven't posted my DR in the beachhouse because it's not done yet. It was just wallpapered last week and I won't see it until we go for Thanksgiving. If it isn't hideous or I am not in a tryptophan stupor, I will try to remember to take photos!

I have to believe there are better (cheaper) shades out there! Heck, I think my kids could make them with some cardboard and glue. Hey, maybe somebody on Etsy? Believe me they are nothing special!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok Mtnrdredux. I'll just have to wait to see I guess. (Sigh) I always love seeing any part of any of your homes. I did think about Etsy as an avenue for shades. I'm glad to know they aren't some super special, unreproducable item. Thanks!

I don't mean to sound insecure, but I will risk it anyhow. You do like that fixture for my room, yes?

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

The fixture works for the room really well. However, I think that you may find that the pendants over the peninsula are just too much next to it. Too many things hanging from the ceiling too close together. You can always switch them out for recessed lights so as not to compete with the chandelier if you find that to be the case after the new fixture is in. In the aged nickel, of course.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Here's some really inexpensive 4" lampshades. (I was just guessing on size.) They may be too inexpensive--i.e., cheap looking in RL.

I like the chandy OK...antique nickel is my pick. But don't think it 'works' with the glass pendants over the peninsula. But sounds like you aren't in love with the pendants anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4

• nini804
    9 years ago

So pretty! Antique nickel for sure!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Perfect chandelier for your room and yes, antique nickel.

With the cabinets down to the counter separating the DR and the kitchen I would not hesitate to define the space as being separate from the kitchen.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Breezy,

Glad I happened to check back!

First, thanks for your kind words.

Second, yes. I am very fond of this chandelier. I think it is so classic and simple and unique. And I think it is perfect for rectangular tables. I think it is great for your space. It would not occur to me that pendants are "in the way", but if they are, that is an issue with any chandy, yes? If they do compete (not sure about that), you would go recessed in a kitchen, not a DR, right?

Third, someone above linked to a shade that is" 4 inches tall, bottom opening is 5 inches and top opening is 2-1/2 inches. " That will be too wide; they call it 3x4x4. I think it is 3" D at the top, 4" tall and 4"D at the bottom. If you go wider it will look wrong IMHO, so 5" wide will not work.

HTH!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holly, ci_lantro, nini, and Blfenton--thanks for your input.

Agreed that I might like the pendants less with a chandy so close. I designed for the pendants over the peninsula instead of my island because, lacking actual walled seperation, I wanted at least a visual division for that part of the house, and because I didn't want the visual mess of hanging fixtures over my island blocking the view to my family room directly across.

I will check out the link ci_lantro. Thanks!

Antique nickel it is!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mtnrdredux--we were posting simultaneously. It does help! Thank you for checking back. I will be waiting aflutter to see a photo of yours.

I'm prepared to change avenues with the pendants if this chandelier, once installed, makes the pendants somehow look out of place. I much prefer my original pendants with that classic curve and simplicity. Too bad they were discontinued so my damaged one couldn't be replaced.

Interesting about the shade proportions. Perhaps this is why they think they can charge almost $30 per unit!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Are there pendants in the family of this chandelier?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

B--No pendants. The line does, however, include a sconce. DH is sold and wants to order them with the chandelier. I didn't mention the need for fixtures eventually to replace the also bare horizontal bulbs on the French door wall.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Those sconces are very cool. Are they going to be too long and wind up being too close to your ceiling?

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Always thought-provoking questions. :)

Sconces are 18" tall. 15" tall from junction. When I measure, that places the top of the shades level with the top of French door moulding. Happy coincidence, but I would have placed the j-box lower had I known that I would use such long sconces. I was planning on less obtrusive ones during the framing stage. Thank you for looking at all possible issues, B.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Because of the long, narrow look of the sconces they may help to give the illusion of height to your ceiling. They also look to have a shallow relief from the wall so, although they are striking, they are, I think, understated and discreet.

With the sconces on the wall, I'm assuming no window coverings on the wall.

(I wonder if I would be able to sneak an electrician in here and have them installed in our DR.)

This post was edited by blfenton on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 2:04

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Understated and discreet. Two of my favorite buzz words!

I've never had WT on those doors. While I generally prefer bare naked windows, I did consider the idea when we reno'd. My insane desire to install sconces somewhere in the house took hold and landed there as there wasn't a good spot anywhere else for them. My choice, therefore, was made. No WT. I do not like the black hole it creates at night when I am trying to enjoy a good meal with friends/family. And we both know how dark it can be around our area even during days with more daylight.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just saw your edit. Maybe your DH would never notice. ;)

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Thans, mtnr....having the correct dimensions helps!

Maybe these? If eggshell color works? Not so cheap as the others but still a significant savings.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3x4x4

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Oh, yes, that antique nickel one is gorgeous! You saw it at Lighting Blowout?

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

• romy718
    9 years ago

Same style fixture with different shades. I saw this kitchen in person & was obsessed with this chandy.

• jackson2348
    9 years ago

Romy, that looks like it might be the same chandelier with an alternate shade, love it but it is more modern than we needed.

Just measured one of my shades. 4" high, 3" across at the top, 4" across at the bottom. They call them natural paper, I'd call it a cream color, hardback shade. Hope that helps, I think it's perfect for your space!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Ci_lantro, those shades are only a bit cheaper, but I think they are nicer.

Breezy, I have the sconces, they are over my fpl. I will try to get a pic of those, too.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

Less than $30 for a set of five at Amazon. I thought that the shades from the chandy place were $300?? Did I read wrong? Or am I hopelessly confused???

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

edited to remove duplicate.

This post was edited by ci_lantro on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 16:43

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

LOL, I thought that was EACH! Yes, from Circa the shades are 28per, so $280 for 10.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ci_lantro--I really appreciate the shade sleuthing! I like the ones you found. MUCH cheaper than the originals!

Nosoccermom--Thanks for the vote of approval. I did see that barebones-ish sight, but it didn't instill ordering confidence in me for some reason. Plus, I'd never heard of them before. I will do some googling for reviews.

Romy--Thanks for posting that! It looks exactly the same except your photo shows two hanging rods as opposed to the one I'm looking at with one bar. I can see why you love that kitchen.

Jackson2348--I'm happy you saw this post! A thumbs up from a fixture owner goes a long way. While the fixture you have does come with the same shades Romy posted, I think the single shades work better in my space to give an airier feeling.

Mtnrdredux--You have the sconces also?! Great! I'd love to see those also.

******UPDATE******
    I sat down this afternoon to place my order directly on the Visual Comfort website, (VC makes the chandelier for others and themselves to sell) only to stumble on the height of the fixture. I can't tell from any photos or written information if it is height adjustable. Our ceilings are a frustratingly low 91". Argh. When I inquired about the height, I was told VC could do a custom height for an additional $150 and 4 weeks lead time. Boo! I wanted to order tonight for delivery in early Dec! Surely the hanging rod is something we can adjust here at home? I'm hoping that Mtnrdredux or Jackson 2348 can chime in here with first-hand information!

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I can't help you on height but I wanted to say that I *love* that chandy! It will look great in your home.

PS. Are you still a member of the ABB club or did you finally find one?

This post was edited by lisa_a on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 13:35

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa!! Nice to see you. Thanks for your vote! I saw your thread about your counter choice, but haven't had a chance to read it. I so want you to be enjoying your new kitchen soon!

Still ABB. I've had a few Pratt and Larson tiles in a grayed out green on my counter for about a year now. They are an option, but the samples vary so much from a lighter green to one that's dark enough to make me dislike it. I'm concentrating on trying to finish the DR chandy selection and my fireplace tile/mantle walls. I'm hoping the momentum of getting some projects done will still be there after the holidays when I can start back on my tile search. Let's not even mention the overwhelmingly large unfinished project of finishing the master bath addition from three years ago.....

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I had hoped that I'd be enjoying my new kitchen by now but nope, it didn't happen. We could have started now but that would have meant no kitchen for the holidays, which didn't thrill me at all so we opted to wait until Jan 2015. So much for my "I will have a new kitchen in 2014" goal. Oh, well. Considering that I've been planning my remodel for ...6 yrs? it can't be! Anyhoo, I've waited this long, I can wait a few more months for my new kitchen.

Once that's completed, we'll tackle the master bath and the laundry room. And then, finally, we'll replace our nearly 21 yr old carpeting. DS2 has had no carpet in his bedroom for more than 3 yrs now. Hard to believe it's been that long since the boys' bathroom flooded.

So I know the frustration of having unfinished spaces for far longer than one had intended. Here's hoping we both finish our projects in 2015!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa--just think how many decisions you've already made which will make your reno go so smoothly (well, you know) when you start in January. I'll toast to a Lisa and Wendy 2015 projects-done year!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I placed my order! The coupon code saved me 20% with free ship and no tax. Their website says they have 6 of the chandeliers in antique nickel in stock and that items usually ship in 3-5 days. I can't find a way to track my order so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Nice work Breezy! Can't wait to see it in place.

I am laughing bc I have been waiting to see what backsplash you choose!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Love it! So elegant, and goes nicely with your furniture.
    Thanks for posting as I found a really nice chandy for myself from same brand :-)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your help Aktillery. Don't hold your breath on the bs. :)

Hydrangea--welcome! Which did you choose?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow!
    Quite the thread.
    Breezy- can't wait to see your new chandy!

• fourkids4us
    9 years ago

Glad you have one decision made! I'm curious...did you ever do anything with your entryway? I remember at one point you were trying to design a cubby/bench area. Looking forward to seeing that if/when you finish!

Lisa, I've been planning my kitchen for over 10 years!

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

I'll toast to that, Breezy!

One step closer: hubby and I signed the contract with the fabricator today. Yay!

fourkids4us, planning for 10 years, wow! Will 2015 be your new kitchen year, too?

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

That's beautiful, Hydragea!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa--congrats on signing. That's a great step towards a kitchen dream come true. "Some day my kitchen will come".....sung to the tune of Cinderella's "Some day my prince will come." I've got a very princess-oriented little daughter. :)

Hydrangea--I love that one! Whilst browsing around Circa after drooling over pics of the chandy I just bought before I bought it, I found that one. Better price and so gracefully pretty. DH thought it looked like an entry way fixture and rejected it. What? So not an entry fixture. I can't wait to see *yours* installed!

ETA: A2--Thanks friend!

This post was edited by breezygirl on Sat, Nov 22, 14 at 4:03

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

thanks lisa_a and breezygirl! (I'll ignore breezy's husband about it being an entryway chandelier, haha! :-))

I'm really excited about it.
    It's going to add a lot of warmth, I think.

Would love to see pics of yours as well, breezy.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's in! All three fixtures arrived the Monday after Thanksgiving, much sooner than I was expecting. DH and I finally got them hung last weekend. What a change!

{{gwi:2140263}}

{{gwi:2140264}}

I couldn't make myself buy the $30 shades so I'm looking for alternatives. (Thanks again to Cilantro for posting choices above.) In the mean time, I'm hosting a holiday party Friday night and need some help deciding on the type of bare bulbs to use in the fixture. It's hard to find a lot of 40 watt bulb choices locally.

The photos above have two different kinds of 40-watt bulbs. Here's a close-up with the fixture off.

{{gwi:2140265}}

On the left you see clear bulbs with the torpedo shape--no bent tip. On the right are the frosted bulbs with the bent tip. I'm leaning towards frosted torpedo shape bulbs, but would need to order them on Amazon as nothing is available locally in that shape, style, and wattage.

Thoughts?
    Clear or frosted?
    Drippy tip or torpedo?

Thanks for all the help to get me this far!

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Swoon! It looks so great, Breezy!

My vote is for drippy tipped, frosted bulbs. Bare frosted bulbs are easier on the eyes when lit and I think a little curvy swoosh is a nice balance to the straight lines of the chandy.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

OOOhh it's in! Love it! I agree that frosty bulbs are nicer to be around. Love your artwork center and your counters, too!

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Looks great, and hopefully you'll be able to find some nice little caps soon enough!

Torpedo, frosted. Plain is nice.
    The clear ones look purple...is that true to life?

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

BG- congrats! It looks great. Hard to tell on my iPad, so will defer to others on frosted vs clear.

Have a wonderful holiday!

BTW - did you see my post on appliance about my Wolf oven repair.

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

The bulbs won't much matter once you have shades. In the meantime, I like the clear drippy tipped ones. IMO, they are so much prettier, esp. when the light is off.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Clear drippy or torpedo. Just tried both in my new chandy. Look really nice dimmed.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi again. Sorry for the delay. Holiday madness struck! I ended up using the clear torpedos for a couple of reasons. The drippy tipped ones won't work with shades when I get them. And they were just the easiest to go with when I had a thousand other things to do to prepare for the parties I was hosting that week.

DH installed a dimmer, and we were good to go! I can't explain how luxurious and grown-up I feel now with the light fixtures completed in this room! ( We'll ignore the rest of the bare bulbs hanging out around the house still. One room at a time!) Now all I need to do is get some sort of little backsplash on the bar area and find a couple more antique oak chairs and that room is DONE!

Hydrangea--those clear bulbs in the photos above do have a bluish tint to them. They were those clean, bright white kind of bulbs that are tinted blue. Took them back!

A2--I did see and posted there last night. Not sure I had much to add other than I'm so glad your ovens were quickly and easily fixed without much fuss!

Here's how it looks with the remainder of the bulbs in place.

{{gwi:2140266}}

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement and opinions!

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

It looks so nice! Must feel great to have a room nearly done. Interesting how easy it is to ignore the bare bulbs after a while. None of my holiday guests mentioned mine!

Hope your parties were a success!!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bbtrix! It IS nice! And I love the fixtures to boot. I've had quite a few bare bulbs for slightly more than 3 years. Most of my guests over the years have overlooked them. When I catch someone staring at one I comment about how on trend I am with the minimalist/industrial vibe thats so popular right now. LOL! :)

Maybe now I can tackle the 3 bulbs over the island. I know what I DONT want there. That's a first step!